↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Help with Transfer Box leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Soulrider911

United States 1989 Defender 90 2.5 TD SW Chawton White
Help with Transfer Box leak
Hey folks, I am new here. Hope I posted this in the right channel. I recently bought an 89 Defender 90. I noticed that there was some oil on the ground under the center of the car. After a closer inspection I see oil on the transfer box, specifically where the 10 bolts are holding the plate on.

My first guess was the Transfer box gasket OR if there is a breather tube maybe its clogged?

I did find this topic which seems VERY similar to my issue: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic81559.html

I would LOVE any help. I ave attached photos so you can see the oil

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #957320 4th Jul 2022 11:12pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Will add this link, as the intermediate shaft O rings are a common point of failure.
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83778.html

Oil leaking outside can migrate very easily especially from the wind. Your transfer box is very clean, so that is a good start. I would suggest to wipe the oil again, and get it as dry as possible (brake cleaner is excellent for that). After a good clean, you can start the engine and put the transfer case in neutral and main box in 5th. This will agitate the oil in the transfer box while you investigate the leak. Make sure you do it in a well ventilated place.

The intermediate shaft is partially blocked out of view from the front side by the main gearbox. At the rear you can see the big nut with the special lock washer close to the oil filler plug. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #957324 5th Jul 2022 5:34am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Forgot to mention that the breather tube goes to the engine bay, and is normally located behind the engine. You should find 3 tubes coming from below which bend downwards. These are breathers for the transfer case, main gearbox and the front axle.

On the transfer box, the breather is located on the high/low selector housing by a banjo bolt. Should be able to see if you remove the center cover plate on the seat box. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #957325 5th Jul 2022 5:40am
Soulrider911

United States 1989 Defender 90 2.5 TD SW Chawton White
Thank you so much for help! I will try this and I was able to find a great local shop that was recommended by a fabricator friend of mine. They are gonna do a once over on the transfer box. Cheers!
Post #957414 6th Jul 2022 3:25am
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
The lt230 changed to being built with flanged bolts in early 90’s to cut down on oil migrating down the bolt threads.
Post #957498 6th Jul 2022 8:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1