↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Clutch pedal bushings
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Clutch pedal bushings
Has anybody rebuilt their clutch pedal with new bushings recently?

I removed mine (destructively as it turned out - they are quite fragile) in order to have the pedal cleaned up and powder coated. I ordered up a set of replacement 'OEM' bushings, part number 272714G as per:
https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-r...edal_53772

Click image to enlarge

However when I refitted them, I found that they are too 'tall' and both sides interfere with each other before fully pressed in place. Subsequently it wouldn't fit in the pedal housing either.

Click image to enlarge

Now it could be that these are 'less OEM' and more 'whatever the manufacturer decided to make on the day of making', although it should be noted that even the genuine Land Rover clutch pedal pin does not have the roll pin whole drilled in it, so they aren't doing much better:

Click image to enlarge

I've measured the two pins up back to back at around 38.3mm, with a 1.8mm lip, which means in order to sit flush by my calculations it looks like I need to grind these down by 1.5mm off each one (or 3mm off one I suppose).

Click image to enlarge

Before I get busy on the linisher with these, am I missing something here, or are they 'ground to fit' ? Seems a bit surprising to me if they were intended to be. 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #945704 13th Mar 2022 10:34pm
Buttons

Ireland 
I just checked my clutch pedal (its on a shelf, 1990) and the fitted bushes are 34.5mm width with a 3mm gap in the middle, presumably an oil/grease reservoir? It does appear the replacements are indeed too long. I'd recommend retaining the gap in the middle to preserve the reservoir, so maybe remove 6mm.
Sorry this doesn't answer your direct Q but may be of help. Good to know this info though as I will be ordering same for my rebuild. Thumbs Up

Last edited by Buttons on 26th Mar 2022 1:42am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #946310 20th Mar 2022 1:06am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I have refurbished my clutch pedal box, old type as yours with the pressed pedal, but it was more of a painting job as both my bushes and pivot shaft were in excellent condition.

As buttons said there is normally a small gap between the bushes. I beleive on some later boxes, there is a provision for a grease nipple on the pivot shaft. I do not know if that sends grease to the space between the bushes.

Would also advise to measure the width of the pedal box housing to ensure that the 1.8mm lip that you measured on the bushes is correct. When I painted mine, I did not bother masking the bushes, so had to scrape off the paint as the paint thickness was enough to prevent the pedal to slide into the housing. Meaning there should not be any lateral play.

Never replaced the pivot shaft.. no idea is not having the hole for the roll pin is normal or not. But what I can state is that the pivot shaft could only be installed in one way on my pedal box. If rotated by 180degree, the roll pin holes would not align, which make me think that the hole is drilled after assembly. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #946313 20th Mar 2022 2:24am
Nidge

Ireland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
I too had this same problem recently, OEM bushes, unfortunately I didn't measure them before installing and no chance of getting the out without making Censored out of them.

Poor from the manufacturer but noting surprises me anymore with the quality of land rover parts.

Bought a complete new pedal in the end Rolling Eyes
Post #946319 20th Mar 2022 9:20am
Hufflepuff

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Tonga Green
Thanks for the replies - glad its not just me finding these problems Smile

I'll reduce the depth of one of the bushes. Drilling the pivot pin with it in the housing could be interesting as I'm not sure I would have the clearance between the chuck and the housing - I'll give that some thought. I only bought a new one as the current one is 'well bashed about' on one end - someone had really gone to down on it with a hammer at some point in its history. 2005 Td5 90 XS
1989 V8 110 CSW
Post #946358 20th Mar 2022 5:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1