↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Windscreen Washer woes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Leathers

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Windscreen Washer woes
Help! So I installed my Xmas present - a CSI Parts Windscreen washer jet, and found that there wasn’t enough ‘oomph’ in my pump, which had been fine with my original jet. The new ‘fan’ spray didn’t make it all the way up the windscreen. No problem I thought - a good excuse to buy a new pump from CSI parts. I fitted the new pump, having cleaned out the tanks and run new hose as far as the connector on the engine side of the bulkhead, and replaced the connecter with the new non-return valve. The new pump was worse! After a trying each of the pumps (including the rear) in each position, I now have the original pumps back in their starting places, and the new one on the bench. I found that by replacing the non-return valve with a straight connector, I have enough pressure to get a decent coverage of the screen. So my question - will it cause issues if I don’t have a non-return valve on my front windscreen washer pipe? And does anyone want to buy a windscreen washer pump…..?
Post #937011 9th Jan 2022 11:41pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
The absence of the non return valve will mean it can take longer for the water to hit the screen. If the screen is dirty and the wipers go through a cycle before the water is on the screen it will smear resulting in restricted vision for a few seconds. This could cause issues if that happens at a critical time.
If not raining the lack of lubricating screenwash on the screen when wipers moving will also put more strain on the wiper motor and mechanism, which is pretty fragile to start with and a dash out job to fix in most cases.

Blackwolf did a mod that used a headlight washer pump from a disco 2 to provide greater pressure to the jets.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic70399...asher+pump

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59329...asher+pump[/i]
Post #937012 10th Jan 2022 12:11am
Leathers

Thanks, really useful advice and threads. I’m not mad keen on having to fit a relay (for a Disco 3 pump since it’s 25A), so think I’ll go with trying a Disco 2 headlight wash pump, but it does look like that is still 20A (vice 10A in my TDCI). I’m guessing just sticking a 20A fuse in and chucking the pump in is a bad idea…?
Post #937028 10th Jan 2022 10:15am
Leathers

Should have checked! The front wipers/wash are 15A, so maybe adding a 20A fuse for the Disco 2 pump won’t be too bad…?
Post #937030 10th Jan 2022 10:18am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Ianh wrote:
The absence of the non return valve will mean it can take longer for the water to hit the screen. If the screen is dirty and the wipers go through a cycle before the water is on the screen it will smear resulting in restricted vision for a few seconds. This could cause issues if that happens at a critical time.
If not raining the lack of lubricating screenwash on the screen when wipers moving will also put more strain on the wiper motor and mechanism, which is pretty fragile to start with and a dash out job to fix in most cases.

Blackwolf did a mod that used a headlight washer pump from a disco 2 to provide greater pressure to the jets.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic70399...asher+pump

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59329...asher+pump[/i]

I have been running without the troublesome NRV for some time now and find it really dosn't make much difference (except to make the system more reliable). That being said, I found that with or without the valve, I don't get as much water as I want on the screen before the wipers start - ideally it would be great to find a wiper relay with a longer delay (or an adjustable delay) but I don't know if such a thing exists, so it was in my mind to try removing the connecter insert from receptable number 6 on connector C0303R, which is the base for the wiper relay and unlike most electrical connectors is reasonably accessible on the Puma Defender. If my quick analysis of the wiring diagram is correct, this should have the effect of separating the squirt and wipe functions (i.e., you can squirt without wiping), which would mean you could get as much water as you want on the screen and then just flick the wipers on. I don't see separating these as too much of an issue since they are all on the same stalk, so I don't think the loss of the auto-wipe-after-squirt function would bother me.

If I get the chance I will try this sometime and report back.

On other thing to bear in mind is that the Disco2 pump is powerful enough to blow the pipe off a standard screenwasher nozzle if the nozzle becomes blocked, especially if you don't have the NRV fitted. This will then cause the main harness connecter header blocks (which, in a moment of customary genius, Landrover fitted directly beneath the nozzle) to fill with screenwasher fluid, which is conductive, and this in turn can cause all manner of extremely weird electrical faults (such as the sidelights turning the heated rear screen on, and so on).

Last edited by blackwolf on 10th Jan 2022 11:07am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #937032 10th Jan 2022 10:43am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I just bin the NRV. The pipe run is so short that it doesn’t take long for the water to come through. And you get the added advantage that you aren’t storing water in the pipe which then freezes, so works better in cold conditions
Post #937035 10th Jan 2022 11:01am
Leathers

Based on the advice, reckon I’ll cancel my Disco 2 pump order and see how I get on for a bit. At least I know what to do if I’m not happy. Thanks guys!
Post #937037 10th Jan 2022 11:30am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Be aware that it isn't possible to mount a Disco2 pump on the Defender washer bottle without some jiggery-pokery. For convenience I used the adaptors made by the fine folk at Optimill, but this is a solution of engineering excellence rather than a cheap solution.

The photos below show a standard TD5/TDCi twin pump reservoir fitted with (on the left) a Disco2 type headlamp washer pump and (on the right) a Rover 45 headlamp washer pump. On my vehicle the Disco2 pump is powering the screen washers and the Rover 45 pump the headlamp washers. The mounting hardware for the pumps was supplied by Optimill and is in effect the adaptor you get in their screen-washer upgrade kit times two. Also in these photos the pumps are fitted with the correct quick-release hose connectors (as used on a Disco2).

I remember that it was also not easy to find the electrical connectors for these pumps, although if you are just replacing standard pump you won't have an issue (I had to find the extra connector for the second pump since my vehicle didn't have that part of the harness fitted as it is a DCPU).

It also became very evident when I was researching pumps that there are many variants of essentially the same pump used by many vehicles. I used the Rover 45 pump because the angle of the outlet cleared the Disco2 pump, a second Disco2 pump would not have fitted (at least, not with the QR connector).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #937038 10th Jan 2022 11:43am
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
I had no problems with my csi fan jet. But was intrigued with different pumps.

I fitted a disco 2 or 3 (I think) headlight washer pump, relay etc. including a much larger diameter feed pipe. I can now wash my whole screen, roof rack and probably the car behind me 😂 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #937130 10th Jan 2022 9:27pm
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
It fit right in the tank too.

Click image to enlarge
 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #937134 10th Jan 2022 9:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top