↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Sound deadening and carpet
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pilsburypie

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Sound deadening and carpet
Thinking of putting a full exmoor trim carpet set in my 2014 110sw. Any other options that are as good?

Whilst having to remove the seats to do this, I was going to add some sound deadening. Read lots on this and see many have added the 1.5-2mm sticky back stuff, then 6mm closed cell foam on top. I’m pretty sure when adding carpet that I’m limited to the thinner first layer otherwise the carpet set doesn’t fit. Anyone added carpet and found where you can squeeze the closed cell foam in? I’m guessing the carpet set will help on noise reduction a bit too.
Post #917511 18th Aug 2021 9:06am
Snowy90

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
Yep its tricky, anything over 2mm and you will struggle with the seat boxes corners unless they give you a generous carpet, mine was very tight no room for foam in mine. Just the sound deadening and carpet made a massive difference.

Its the corners that are tricky and tight, also it effectively moves the carpet forward so does not cover all of the side of the seat box. Corner protectors and trims can hide the slightly open joints

Looking back under the seats and rear floor you should get away with extra foam also concentrate on the seat box covers and center access panel alot of noise comes up there. You can put the deadening on the underside of the hatches which helps.

Click image to enlarge

This was mine.
Post #917515 18th Aug 2021 9:37am
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I'm currently soundproofing mine in stages, as and when I get spare time.

I'm also interested to know people's experience of where you can squeeze in the closed cell foam (and where you can't).

While I don't know the answer (yet) in terms of carpets/floors, I can confirm that (on a Puma) the combination of a layer of 2mm deadening and a layer of 6mm closed cell foam will fit without any issue on the inside of the door skins. I've just completed this task and all the window mechanisms etc all clear that fine.
Post #917516 18th Aug 2021 9:42am
Snowy90

Good to know,

DId the doors make much of a difference. Im doing mine in stages and only done the front so far.
I was thinking doors or roof next?
Post #917520 18th Aug 2021 9:47am
jpboost

Yes they have. I was quite impressed.

Obviously I need to do more before it gets remotely quiet in there, but I could notice a slight improvement with each door as I did them. They also sound much nicer when closing, which is satisfying.

Roof is next on my list when I've got a clear afternoon. I'm planning on 1 layer of 2mm sheets, plus 1 (or maybe 2) layers of 6mm closed cell foam.

I'm putting the floors off a bit as I'll need a fair bit of time to tackle it all in one go. I may end up doing it in sections.
Post #917521 18th Aug 2021 10:01am
Snowy90

Good to know, just doing the front made a big difference, i think most of the noise comes up through the firewall/bulkhead and seat boxes.
Thumbs Up
Post #917522 18th Aug 2021 10:03am
jpboost

I'd agree on the firewall/seatbox bit. I'm looking forward to getting those done.

at some point I'll take the dash out and do the bulkhead too.
One of my wiper wheelboxes is clicking, so I'll combine the soundproofing with a bit of maintenance while I'm in there.
Post #917524 18th Aug 2021 10:10am
pilsburypie

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Thanks for the input. Will certainly go for the added 6mm in the doors.

I might go wild and do both the inside and outside of the seat boxes. Not sure how much extra benefit it would add, but might as well as they’re fairly easy to do.
Post #917701 19th Aug 2021 11:34am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Good to know about the door sound proofing. I am about to replace my doors and am playing around with what to sound proof them with.

I have already Dodo matted the front footwells, transmission tunnel and have a Wright offroad mat system in the front. Made a huge difference, especially the footwells and trans tunnel. The second row and rear loaded have 3mm rubber mating which made a good difference. The surprising gain was sticky backed closed cell foam on the curved rear tub uprights. Cut down a lot of exhaust and road noise from the back.

In my TD5 the majority of the sound appears to be coming through the top part of the front bulkhead and front vents. So I have new vent foams to fit and will look to bolster that with extra sound proofing. The current vent foams are very old so need refreshing anyway.

There is no sound proofing on the engine side of the bulkhead, so perhaps this is a place to consider as well. I know it will never be quiet by modern standards, but hey you've got to embrace your hobbies, right??! Rolling Eyes
Post #917705 19th Aug 2021 11:49am
jpboost

Speaking of engine noise, I did pick up a large foil covered foam panel/sheet to fit to the underside of the bonnet. I'll also apply 2mm pads before this foam.

I'm pretty sure it'll quieten down the engine noise that you hear when standing next to the car., but I'll be interested to see if this makes any difference from inside the cabin.

Mine's an ex military 110, and has rubber mats rather than carpets. I quite like the look of the various bits of exposed paiintwork, but I'm going to struggle to really get decent coverage (in either sticky pads or foam) over these areas.
In the long run, I may have to given in and fit carpets, but hope with roof, doors, bulkhead and floors done, I'll get it quiet 'enough' for my needs.
Post #917712 19th Aug 2021 12:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1