↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Steering guard and Gwyn Lewis Sumo bars?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

Steering guard and Gwyn Lewis Sumo bars?
Hi folks.

I have a Mantec/Genuine steering guard on the front of the Puma.

But my understanding is that the vulnerable part of the steering is actually the track rod bar (behind the front axle) rather than the drag link which is currently protected by the Mantec guard.

Is this right?

If so, am I right in thinking that with my Mantec guard, that by adding a Sumo track rod bar I will give my steering a good level of protection?

The vehicle is about to be stripped to a bare chassis so now is the time ti fit one - and for the sake of £60 it seems worth it. Quite like the sumo bars as they don't scream 'modified'.

Thanks.
Post #917341 17th Aug 2021 1:48am
jimbo55

United Kingdom 
The track rod is slightly more vulnerable than the drag link,

If you’re thinking of changing one, then I’d definitely change both at the same time, otherwise you will create a weak link within the system, I’d also be going for one of gwyns drop arm conversions to use the discovery type with threaded ball joints all round which makes maintenance a lot easier 👍

If you really want to go overkill on the protection you can also fit one of gwyns track rod guards but unless you’re going seriously hard off road (winch challenge, etc.) then I don’t really see the point
Post #917352 17th Aug 2021 7:58am
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
You are correct.

Reality both are vulnerable.

Front steering guards provide most protection for just the actual drop arm. They don't stop drag links bending. They are also good at getting hung up on when reversing.

As above, gwyn drag link with disco drop arm conversion, sumo track rod in a gwyn track rod protector is belt and braces and what I run on mine. Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #917357 17th Aug 2021 8:48am
kaney

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
I have just done an order off Gwyn today regarding steering, shocks ,turrets, bushes, drop arm conversion kit among other stuff and not having a clue on what was best for my needs I spoke with him discussing what my need were for the Defender for what I wanted (I wrote it all down first) then he talked me through the stuff and after coming to sorting he went away and called me back with a price now just waiting for the delivery.
If you do roughly the same and give him a call he will call you back and spend a decent amount of time discussing what you want.
Number is on the website. but don't let anyone look at your bank balance for a while afterwards :whistle:
Post #917468 17th Aug 2021 8:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1