↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Adwest 4 bolt steering box overhaul
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Nice one Thumbs Up Mine has an occasional notch/click when turning lock to lock so would like to investigate, or source another low mile box to rebuild then swap out > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #910990 6th Jul 2021 1:31pm
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
Usual failure is seal lands of sector shaft. These can be ground and hard chrome plated to bring it back like new - this is a spare one I had ground

Click image to enlarge

Next most common failure is the worm drive with pitting to the ball races surfaces - These two are both scrap - bottom one has obvious pitting, top one is just starting - black dot on race. These are available new from Magal who were adwest for £75 still.

Click image to enlarge

As I stated before, B2012, B2016 and B2020 are the full complement needle bearings required, Plus a full Corteco seal kit.

Don’t force the top cap off using the sector shaft adjuster as that causes the top bearing to mark the shaft.

If you watch Landrover toolbox or whatever they call themselves on YouTube they build the box up slightly incorrectly with a washer behind the input shaft seal which doesn’t exist.

But then what do I know, I said Puma CV joints weren’t replaceable separately and no-one listened.
Post #911044 6th Jul 2021 7:38pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Nice info thanks Thumbs Up > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #911057 6th Jul 2021 8:49pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Top tip by oldowner:
Don’t force the top cap off using the sector shaft adjuster as that causes the top bearing to mark the shaft.

Like wise, when installing back the top cover, wind the adjuster screw all the way out of the top cover (all the way anticlockwise when viewing from top). This gives the biggest backlash between the worm and the sector shaft follower wheel before the top cover is seated and the 4 bolts tightened up. Again to prevent marking the wheel and/or the worm. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #911060 6th Jul 2021 9:03pm
Dinnu

Oldowner wrote:

Next most common failure is the worm drive with pitting to the ball races surfaces - These two are both scrap - bottom one has obvious pitting, top one is just starting - black dot on race. These are available new from Magal who were adwest for £75 still.

Click image to enlarge

I have not yet taken the worm out yet, but thinking if replacing the ball bearings is a cheap insurance against pitting. Being in a plastic cage, should be very easy to do.
As I understand, the races are part of the worm? 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #911227 7th Jul 2021 4:22pm
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
The inner race is part of the worm, the outer race and ball assembly are RTC4409 both ends.
Post #911286 7th Jul 2021 9:22pm
Dinnu

Thank you Oldowner. You are really an encyclopedia of parts/partnumbers Thumbs Up 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #911330 8th Jul 2021 7:29am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
... and valuable knowledge and experience! Thumbs Up

It's what makes this forum great!
Post #911338 8th Jul 2021 9:02am
Dinnu

New bearings delivered. Extremely Censored ed that I paid Malta vat at checkout and again vat on delivery, not to mention customs clearance charge. So 2 bearings whose original price was £8.38 (for the 2) end up over €35.
I hope these bearings fit well and eases my current anger.

PS. Bearings is ptfe coated, or so was the spec. The supplier had a more economic version which was POM coated. I know POM is black. I hope I got what I paid for (at least the £8.38 portion of what I paid). Banging Head

Click image to enlarge
 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #912317 14th Jul 2021 10:25am
Dinnu

Outer diameter of the bush is the wrong size Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry This is as expected, because I did measure roughly 0.7mm undersized bore. But there is no other size that can purchase, so I was hoping that my measurement was wrong.... clearly the gamble did not pay off.

I will have to trust my Boxford to make bronze bushes instead.

Click image to enlarge
Post #912331 14th Jul 2021 12:25pm
Dinnu

So I had some stock of phosphor bronze, but unfortunately only a short piece, just enough to make one bush.
I machined the OD of the new bush to 35.10mm (I got this measurement by partially pressing in the original bush, leave protruded enough to measure its diameter OD) , and the ID to 31.75mm.
It was a nice fit on the shaft, but as expected, once I pressed it in the steering box casing, the bush 'shrunk' and the sector shaft could not fit anymore. So a bit of tweaking later, the bush was the perfect size in the installed state. And is a nice tight fit in the casing.
Now I just need to get some more phosphor bronze stock and turn the next bush.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #912693 16th Jul 2021 4:11pm
Dinnu

2nd bush made, and both installed. I have maximized the length of the bushes, so there is more contact area. The sector shaft is a bit tight on them, but I hope they will be fine when they settle in. Since they are a bit tight on the sector shaft, I think when pushing the sector shaft in, the actuator shifted enough (I set the plunger depth at 72mm) that I engaged the wrong teeth... so need to pull the sector shaft up again, adjust the actuator, and re engage.

I discovered the problem after have assembled most of the box...took a few pictures along the way so can make a write up on the assembly procedure (and will document my mistake so maybe others can avoid).

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Fitting the snap ring on the end cover of the actuator was a bit of fun. More about that later. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #912818 17th Jul 2021 6:16pm
Dinnu

So the box is finally ready from assembly. Next is painting and fitting it back to the chassis.

Click image to enlarge

For full assembly procedure, torque specifications, etc, it is advisable to refer to an official manual. As I replaced the sector shaft bearings with home made bushes, and getting a 1 1/4" reamer to ream the bearings after installing them was uneconomic, the result is that my sector shaft is a bit tight on the bearings. Hence I could not follow torque figures (torque to rotate input shaft when assembled for example) as stated in the manual. I had to trust my 'feel'. But before disassembly I had marked all adjustment screws so at least I can go back to the original positions if I cannot get the 'feel'.

I here will give an account of my assembly procedure, and some watch out tips.
If you have sweaty hands like I do, or even if you are assembling a box for keeping as spare, then it is recommended to wear gloves, not to protect your hands, but to protect the box and components from rusting.

If your box is just leaking, and otherwise is mechanically perfect, it is still advisable to remove the sector shaft and the worm. Reason is that it is very very very difficult to install the seals properly with the sector shaft and the worm still in situe. I tried it with the worm (so I can get the preload on the worm bearings correct), but I had to take off the worm again to install the seals. If you have taken the sector shaft and worm out, then might as well take the rest out so that all seals are new. I found a seal which was not installed properly by Adwest!.
A note on the worm seals. There seem to be 2 variants. I had seal kit STC2847G (this is Corteco), and luckily this kit contains both worm seal types. Below is a picture of the 2 seals. I think the later boxes have the more standard seal type (with the garter spring). This has a larger OD. The earlier bozes, such as mine, has a 'flanged' seal. It has a smaller OD, and there is kind of a flange. This is the top seal in below image.

Click image to enlarge

Fitting the seals is straight forward. Just remember that the first seal is with the lip facing inwards, to keep the oil in, and the second seal is with the lip facing outwards to keep the dust and crud out. My box, on the sector shaft seal has what is called an 'extrusion' seal between the inner and the outer seal. I could not find this in the Corteco seal kit, so I had to re use the original one.

The rack adjuster is locked with a set screw (grub screw). A new screw is in the Corteco seal kit, and has a new Nylon tip. Remember to remove the remnants of the old nylon tip.

Click image to enlarge

So with new seals on the actuator plunger - note that beneath the ptfe seal there is an O ring. The purpose of the O ring is to give some radial springiness to the PTFE seal, and makes a better seal between the PTFE and the housing, and also the PTFS seal and the plunger. According to manual, the plunger should be pushed in to 70mm from the external face of the casing. During disassembly, I measured this at 72mm (according to the angle of the sector shaft in the removal and assembly position.
So with the plunger assembled. I used an M12 stud to help installation, and hold the plunger, but it only engaged a turn or 2, so I might not be a metric thread. But still does the job, and is only temporary.

Click image to enlarge

Btw, this is the angle the sector shaft can be installed and removed. Any other angle will damage the sector shaft follower wheel. Note the cutout in the casing to allow the sector shaft wheel to pass through.

Click image to enlarge

Unfortunately, and I think this happened because of the tight bearings on the sector shaft, when I was installing the sector shaft, the plunger shifted and I engaged the sector shaft on the wrong teeth of the plunger rack. The result is that the sector shaft would bind, and will have good steer to one side but not the other. So I had to take the sector shaft out again, adjust the plunger position and re install. First picture is the rack position when plunger is set at 72mm from outer face of the box. Second picture is when adjusting 2nd time (I did not remove the end cover of the plunger this 2nd time). Roughly, the

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I here made superposition of 2 pictures, just to show which tooth on the sector shaft should engage on which tooth of the rack.

Click image to enlarge

While the sector shaft is being installed (at the angle in one of the pictures above, and protect the lower seal from the splines by a bit of tape), always check that the worm is free to rotate. Once the sector shaft is close to the worm, rotate 2 turns, so that the sector shaft is approx on the straight ahead position. Ideally this position still have backlash (sector to worm).

After installing the top cover, backlash is to be adjusted in the straight ahead position. This is by rocking the drop arm back and forth until all play is gone.

For reference only, the top 4 seals/washers from the Corteco seal kit were not used.

Click image to enlarge

Finally, and this should be really the final job is installing the end cover on the plunger. Putting back the snap ring was fun. I was using cloth gloves, so they give a bit of extra grip, remember everything is already in ATF fluid. Best procedure I found is get the end of the snap ring in the groove, then use a G clamp to push it further, and the last bit need to push the ring into the groove.

Click image to enlarge

Below are tools I used to push the bushes. The tool on the left was to go over the sector shaft adjust screw, since the bushes were tight on the sector shaft, the shaft needed a bit of persuasion with a soft mallet, so I do not hammer on the adjust screw bearing.

Click image to enlarge
Post #913026 19th Jul 2021 10:14am
Dinnu

By the way, I was looking at the Landrover manual, and there is a nice schematic of how the sector shaft fits on the plunger rack, where it also states the distance of 70mm. The only problem with the manual is that stupidly enough, it is hybrid between a bottom view and a top view. I think it is common sense to assemble the box right side up. So to get a good schematic, need to do a mirror image, and rotate as viewing from the front.

Edit.. thinking about it, the manual seems to be for left hand drive steering boxes Whistle

Click image to enlarge
Post #913064 19th Jul 2021 1:05pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
Very clever stuff. It's fun watching people refurbish components rather than just replace them. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #913066 19th Jul 2021 1:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>