↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Delivered with a flat battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Delivered with a flat battery
Who here thinks its right that they would deliver the car that has done 8 miles and on the second day of ownership the message pops up "low battery start vehicle" - dealer says fine start the engine, personally i think this misses the point?

Also i pointed out that if they remembered to tax the vehicle maybe i could drive it (yes 24hrs they didnt tax it!) Mike
Post #873482 17th Dec 2020 7:50pm
LRSpain004

Spain 
What can you say to that.... How disappointing on many levels.

My local dealer here in Spain has a Tamar blue sitting in the showroom for 4 months and no doubt would have the same problem. At 89,000 euro's I think it will be there in 12 months and will also need a charge.
Post #873485 17th Dec 2020 7:59pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
pulled the red reveal cover from my current D5 in the showroom, 6 miles on the clock, started it up to low battery warning and then low pressure on the spare warning. Couldn't make it up, couldn't be ar$ed waiting for dealer to charge it so drove it home and stuck it on the ctek and put some air in the tyre. Wasn't a good show though. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #873490 17th Dec 2020 8:35pm
derbywill

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Sounds to me the PDI process ether doesn’t cover the basic checks of battery voltage, tyre pressures etc (when new vehicles could have been stood for a little while)
Or the PDI process does include these items but has not been carried out for some reason.

Ether way not a good show when you’re spending a hell of a lot of money on a new vehicle, and the brand hardly has a good image for reliability!

Cheers

Will 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
1968 88” 2A 200tdi
2002 110 Hardtop
Post #873547 18th Dec 2020 9:30am
Tim in Scotland

Low battery doesn’t mean a flat battery, low battery means it’s fallen below the 12.3v or whatever the BMS is set at, usually it gets triggered because the car has been sat with the radio on, a door open for ages or the salesperson has been demonstrating all the stuff when you take delivery.
It doesn’t just happen in New Defender - my last 6 cars - 5 Land/Range Rovers and a Mini Countryman have all done this but more often than not the cause was the Auto Stop/Start battery was below the warning level NOT the main starter battery, and a quick run in the car has stopped it appearing again for many weeks. I would say that every car I have owned with “comfort” locking/ unlocking has also had this “battery low start engine” message appear frequently. One way to cure it in older (l322 Range Rovers and L320/ L494 Sports) Land Rovers with air suspension was to lower them to access height before locking them, it was reckoned that leaving them at normal ride height kept the electronics “awake” (like stand by mode on your TV) and ready to go, lowering them sent a message to the systems that you weren’t coming back to the car for a while and to switch everything off/ go to sleep. They woke up as soon as they detected the signals from the key fob.
This has been my experience over 13 years buying and owning LR and Mini products with modern electronic systems and since buying a 2007 RRS - if you read the Disco3/Disco4/Disco5/ FullFat Range Rover/ RRS and Evoque (even without airsuspension on them) forums they have all suffered this issue for many years. Serial owners of the other models of Land Rover products are familiar with the warning and tend to disregard it until the day when the doors won’t unlock.......... it isn’t a problem as such but it is unnerving to see it, especially on a new car and in cold weather on a car parked outside all the time.
One aside - in the days pre LED taillights this was one of the many warnings and warning lights that would illuminate the dash with Blackpool type illuminations when a tail light lamp had failed so when folks posted they had the low battery message and loads of warning lights the advice was to check that a tail lamp wasn’t blown! I’ve had cars with LED tail lights for a few years now without any LED failures so I haven’t found out if the same holds true with LED lamps.

Another panic inducer with RRS/FFRR and Disco3 or 4 was seeing smoke coming from the front bumper or near side front wheel arch.............. and I’m sure it also triggered a lot of calls to Land Rover Assist, on a morning when the temperature was below 5C or the owner had triggered the remote heating. 99% of the time it was the exhaust from the fuel burning heater that was part of the emissions reduction system not the engine about to catch fire. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 18th Dec 2020 10:27am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #873551 18th Dec 2020 10:03am
J77

Scotland 
Just had it on my Velar, though it’s since done an update and hasn’t reappeared.
Post #873558 18th Dec 2020 10:21am
Philip

United Kingdom 
2011 L322 would display “Low battery Please start engine” upon opening a door even when connected to a smart charger...
Post #873569 18th Dec 2020 11:45am
jim4244

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Yes the L322 was a far more polite vehicle. Notice how it’s asks you to “Please” start the engine...

Jim
Post #873579 18th Dec 2020 1:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1