↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Adaptive Speed Limiter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Adaptive Speed Limiter
Has anyone tried it yet?
I was looking through some of the obscure pages in the iGuide last night and found that you can either set a fixed speed that the car will not exceed or you can link the speed limiter to the roadsigns recognition system and it will adapt the speed to the speed of the last speed limit road sign you passed BUT it will not accelerate the car above the speed you are currently driving at unless you press the + button on the cruise control panel, for safety reasons, but it will automatically reduce the speed to the speed limit If it is lower than the cruise control is set to. Basically the cruise control can now be linked to the road sign recognition camera if you want to never exceed the speed limit. So far I haven’t tried it as it does seem to be a bit convoluted to set up.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #856263 16th Sep 2020 9:08am
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
My adaptive speed limiter normally sits in the passenger seat. Rolling with laughter Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #856275 16th Sep 2020 10:40am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Not a LR but my wife's car the Adapted cruise it odd in some ways...

It 'recognises' road signs but if you go from a 50mph to 30mph zone it will not slow down before 30mph, more like a second or so past the sign..... Not good if PC plod or a speed camera is out.

Also driving down a A road and say a car is parked up and you go to go past it, it must flag up an 'object' in the way and brakes.... Hard !! even though if you were 'driving' you would just go past the park car.

Then you use it on a motorway, pass a car and move to inside lane, a car then goes past you (that is obviously going quicker) and moves in. The cruise then slows down until the car that has moved in front of you has gone past what it see's as the danger zone...and then resumes its normal speed.

All very odd,

I've even turned the sensitivity down to the minimum. Its easy to operate just a button but its not really 'that' clever.
Post #856286 16th Sep 2020 1:11pm
J77

Scotland 
I’ve got it on my Velar, I’m not a fan of it. It picks up speed limit signs for side streets and slows down to those speeds.

All just pointless IMO
Post #856347 16th Sep 2020 8:21pm
Tim in Scotland

That was what I thought too, I have no problems observing speed limits and just having the sign recognition works well with my brain, just would have liked the Head Up Display instead! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #856370 16th Sep 2020 9:03pm
umbertob

United States 
The HUD is actually very well executed. The projection on the windshield is very clear to see (unless you wear polarized glasses, in which case it's still visible - but barely), and you can adjust both its position to suit your height, and brightness. You can select how much or how little info you want on the display (speed is the default of course, but you can also display the gear you are in, turn icons and street names from the satnav, current speed limit, cruise control info, driver warning messages), all info is displayed either in white or green / red text and icons, that I find extremely legible, and I am no hawk. The adaptive cruise control is probably an acquired taste, still getting used to it. The adaptive speed limiter seems needlessly complicated to me. It's nice to have the current speed limit sign showing on the dash in case you missed it, and that's all one should really need.

Click image to enlarge
Post #856381 16th Sep 2020 9:35pm
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47715415

Be afraid - very afraid.

I have used this system on Land Rovers, Mercs and my own Volvo. On A roads the system can and does pick up 30 limits in side roads, slamming the brakes on. A truck narrowly missed shunting our car up the rear when SWMBO was driving and I got a massive telling off!

And even though we have left the EU, road and vehicle standards and compliance is one of the areas of alignment that will continue according to the transitional exit agreement.

These systems are fine if they work, but like autonomous cars they're not good enough to be relied upon yet. JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #856444 17th Sep 2020 10:10am
Tim in Scotland

Thanks for the warning, I dislike these devices but when they don’t work properly they are a hinderence and not something that could make driving more pleasant. So far I would like to inhibit the Lane keeping assistance and this but keep the road sign recognition although unlike the system that was in both my Evoques, the Countryman and the last RRS this one only seems to show speed limit signs, the previous systems showed up to 3 different road traffic signs not just speed limit signs. They also worked well with the variable speed limit signs on overhead gantries but I;ve not yet driven anywhere with those since getting the Defender. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #856447 17th Sep 2020 10:19am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I do rather wonder what the roads will be like when there is a generation of drivers which relies upon this technology and can no longer (or does no longer) engage the brain. I fear that someone will then realise that it was all a dreadful mistake.

There already seems to be many people who can't turn work their lights or wipers manually, and who cannot see road-signs and road markings using the Mark 1 eyeball.
Post #856449 17th Sep 2020 10:29am
Tim in Scotland

Autonomous vehicles by stealth ....... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #856450 17th Sep 2020 10:34am
Bian Considine

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
I do rather wonder what the roads will be like when there is a generation of drivers which relies upon this technology and can no longer (or does no longer) engage the brain. I fear that someone will then realise that it was all a dreadful mistake.

There already seems to be many people who can't turn work their lights or wipers manually, and who cannot see road-signs and road markings using the Mark 1 eyeball.

Could not agree more.

Even bigger pain when driving an HGV that brakes hard when it picks up a large bird flying past the windscreen.
(& then you get pulled by the transport desk because the ob board telematics have logged "harsh braking").
Post #856461 17th Sep 2020 11:41am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I guess that if a pedestrian was simply to hold up a realistic speed limit sign as you approached, your vehicle would spontaneously brake. "Community speed watch" areas could become a lot more fun!
Post #856466 17th Sep 2020 11:48am
umbertob

United States 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
This one only seems to show speed limit signs, the previous systems showed up to 3 different road traffic signs.

I am pretty sure I picked up a Do Not Pass sign along with a speed limit sign yesterday, both briefly popped up in the instrument cluster side-by-side.
Post #856497 17th Sep 2020 3:05pm
Tim in Scotland

Looks like I need to take a drive from my home in the countryside into the city then just to see. One good place to find out is the Clyde Tunnel entrance - that has an upper speed limit sign of 30mph, a minimum speed sign of 8mph and a no overtaking sign over the entrance. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #856508 17th Sep 2020 4:07pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
I imagine you will get a do not pass sign up, I see it separate to the speed limit sign on my dash on the D5. I have always thought its part of the lane assist as it seems to use the solid and solid + dotted combinations in the middle of the road as a trigger. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #856509 17th Sep 2020 4:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>