↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > For Sale & Wanted > [Wanted] A cheap Freelander or similar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
benniferj

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
[Wanted] A cheap Freelander or similar
So... never thought I'd write that but...

Once again doing more miles than usual with a few personal commitments meaning my 110 overlander is taking on more miles commuting than usual at a fairly poor mpg figure. It's also not the most comfy thing to run about in and I'd rather keep it for the weekends and leisure!

A company i'm working for have a courtesy car which is an old earlyish Freelander they got for around £300 and serviced up. I've driven it a few times and it's quite fun really - characterful, simple and cheerful and seems to get around 30/35mpg ish, which is more than my Defender. I can get insured on one for peanuts, 3rd party, and can do the basic servicing and repairs just to keep it going.

Anyone got anything like that they want to shift? Fairly sound, doesn't need to be that tidy, £500 or so ish?

If it's a 1.8 K series then please assure me it's had some decent servicing on the usual problem head gasket Laughing Insta: @thebenjordan4x4
Post #854553 6th Sep 2020 12:32pm
Slideywindows

England 
A fellow soul!

I never thought I'd want a Freelander either.

Always looked down on them.

Then I needed something just to park in front of the house, where the wife's car used to be.

Local gamekeeper was selling his FL1.

152K miles and like a pigsty inside, and only a little better outside.

I had to pay £500 and then a little more for the jack kit and Manuals on eBay.

It's a TD4 auto and I've kind of fallen in love with it. Never thought I would.

It doesn't do many miles, but it does everything without fuss, and is less effort to drive than my Defenders, and at 18 years old it has barely any rust.

Mind you, its first MOT with me is on Monday.

I may like it more - or less - after that!

Good luck with your search, You may have to compromise, but I hope you find something that works at that price.

Click image to enlarge
Post #854555 6th Sep 2020 1:08pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
We have had two 'hippos' & while some say they're not a proper Land Rover neither of them gave us any trouble. The first one was a 2002 Td4 hardback manual which we had from new & would probably still have if a Censored taxi driver hadn't u-turned into the side of it & written it off when it was 12 years old... mileage was 195k when it got taken from us 😇 Big Cry

Bought a 2003 Td4 hardback facelift as a replacement - cheap because it didn't have a decent service history but needed a replacement quickly & only planned on keeping it till we found a better one. Sold it 4 years & 50k+ miles later after finding a really nice FL2 via this forum.

Very easy to spanner on at home & surprisingly capable off road on the right tyres (ran the first one on GG AT2s for a bit while).
Post #854580 6th Sep 2020 5:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1