Print this entire topic · 
BigCol66

United Kingdom 
Will do Thumbs Up
Post #850381 16th Aug 2020 7:45pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
oop north wrote:
I have been lurking here for a while - had a D3 in 2010 which was a disaster and got rid after 4 months, 2015 got a D4 which I had for 3.5 happy and reliable years, wife on second FL2. I have done an off-road session in a D5, and had a three hour drive in a defender 240. Ooh; should say I have a jaguar ipace (16 months and 14k miles in). I also had a full fat Range Rover vogue SE for 5 weeks 2500 miles when the iPace broke a part on back order. Drove the defender on A road, B road and dual carriageway. Much better to drive on B roads than the D4 was. 4 cylinders terrible getting onto roundabouts / out of junctions compared to my 3.0 litre D4 and the iPace (the full fat Range Rover (275 bhp version) felt Disappointing compared to the iPace. I may have been spoilt).

The defender was very comfortable and roomy and relaxing to drive. Having a rather excellent EV in the iPace though, 240 diesel four cylinder bhp definitely disappointing. I would maybe consider a 6-cyl or PHEV (hopefully the electric motor fills in from a standing start) but would really like 400 electric bhp please.

The Land Rover salesman are really anti ev, and I think JLR is in danger of dying before they get round to electrifying their range - it does of course remain to be seen what happens in the wider market place (and I acknowledge that I may not be representative of that having had a bmw i3 at the same time as the D4, and following a few ev people on twitter and being in ev groups on Facebook) but it seems extraordinary that the defender at launch was less efficient (mpg, co2) than everything else in the JLR range. There won’t be a full ev Range Rover or Land Rover for another 7 or so years, but Volvo are a year or two off an ev xc90 I think, ditto bmw with x5 (or a lower, sleeker version of rhat). I have managed half a dozen 380 miles in a day trips in the iPace and the charging position is only getting better. And I have a (share in a) wind turbine so generate some of my own “fuel”. Oh, and the JLR PHEVs have far too poor an electric range to consider sticking through my business - so if I get a PHEV as a compromise (ipace a bit on the small side for me) it may be an x5 with 50-odd (gentle!) electric miles rather than 20 as in Range Rover attempt.

I would love an EV defender - my wife and younger daughter both really like the new defender (and don’t care about emissions / mpg). Really not sure what I will get but 20 months to decide yet!

I think you’re being a little unfair seeing as it’s only about 18 months ago that it was announced that no Petrol or Diesel engines will eventually be allowed to be sold in new vehicles. And am I not right in thinking that manufacturers have until 2035? Or is it 2030? Either way that’s at least 10 years away yet.

Having said that, I am actually surprised and disappointed that the new Defender wasn’t launched with a Plug in Hybrid from the start, and feel JLR missed an opportunity there. Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #850385 16th Aug 2020 8:08pm
oop north

United Kingdom 
Am I being unfair? That I think is a very subjective question. It’s all my opinion and I dare say plenty on here will think I am taking nonsense. There are also plenty of people not here who would think it was entirely disgraceful of me to even test drive a Defender as they want any large car on the road at all. There are plenty of EV drivers who think PHEVs are an abomination and should not be allowed. My concern is for JLR - waiting until legislation forces you to do something is very risky - if market sentiment moves against you (and for a warning of that just take note of the increase in ev sales this year, versus a bit of a dip in petrol and a massive drop in diesel Sales). I understand they are hoping to use hydrogen - I am doubtful that will
Work when generating the hydrogen and then back to electricity uses about 3x the electricity that using an EV does. And if you think it’s tricky recharging an ev try filling a hydrogen car. Time will tell
Post #850397 16th Aug 2020 8:36pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
I hear you. I honestly do and I don’t really disagree too much. But a good number of those people not on hear that think it disgraceful that you should even test drive a Defender will also contain a good number of people that will take several flights to take their families on holidays abroad over the next decade. Where as I bet there are a good number of people of here and new Defender owners who like me, only holiday in the U.K. or maybe France so that they can take their dogs with them. So we’re not only helping prop up our own economy but also helping towards minimising our global footprint in that way instead. So I think it’s difficult for anyone of them to judge. Cars are my thing. Holidays might be theirs! I’m not judging. But neither do I wish to be judged. Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #850404 16th Aug 2020 9:06pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
The other point is.. because in 2035 the Government is going to ban Petrol, Diesel and all Hybrid/Plug in Hybrid Cars, I don’t see the huge benefit in waiting for the Hybrid Defender. Especially seeing as the new Diesels are now so clean in order to meet the strict EU regulations.. Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #850450 17th Aug 2020 10:42am
J77

Scotland 
I’ll move to an EV once I’m pushed, battery tech is getting better every year so I see no point rushing into one. I use public transport if I have to venture into the city anyway.
Post #850539 17th Aug 2020 4:28pm
Tim in Scotland

I thought that they were banning the sale of NEW petrol/diesel/hybrid vehicles after 2035, not requiring owners of existing ones to scrap them. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #850545 17th Aug 2020 4:40pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Yes that’s my understanding too Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #850549 17th Aug 2020 5:09pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
J77 wrote:
I’ll move to an EV once I’m pushed, battery tech is getting better every year so I see no point rushing into one. I use public transport if I have to venture into the city anyway.

Agreed, Electric cars are still too much in the development stage and too expensive for what they are for me at the moment. And like you, if I go to a big city I either get the train (if it’s a major city) or do a park and ride Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #850551 17th Aug 2020 5:13pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Tim in Scotland wrote:
I thought that they were banning the sale of NEW petrol/diesel/hybrid vehicles after 2035, not requiring owners of existing ones to scrap them.

Correct only applies to new vehicles - not retrospective. Rgds.

Chris
Post #850553 17th Aug 2020 5:33pm
J77

Scotland 
Do you think there won’t be hefty premiums to pay after 2035 for the joy of driving an ICE vehicle?? Every motorist will be pushed to EV ownership at some point.

Last edited by J77 on 17th Aug 2020 5:42pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #850556 17th Aug 2020 5:39pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Smilesapart wrote:
The other point is.. because in 2035 the Government is going to ban Petrol, Diesel and all Hybrid/Plug in Hybrid Cars, I don’t see the huge benefit in waiting for the Hybrid Defender. Especially seeing as the new Diesels are now so clean in order to meet the strict EU regulations..

Look at Mitsubishi, even though the Outlander has been a huge seller, they have announced that they are pulling out of a Europe because they can’t keep up with the changes needed in the future......
Post #850557 17th Aug 2020 5:39pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Of course there will be. But by 2030 I’m pretty sure I’ll have traded our D240 S in for what ever Electric equivalent they’ve brought out by then so it’ll be our Classic Cars I’m most concerned about on that score. Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #850560 17th Aug 2020 5:41pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
J77 wrote:
Do you think there won’t be hefty premiums to pay after 2035 for the joy of driving an ICE vehicle?? Every motorist will be pushed to EV ownership at some point.

Personally I think the premium issue is a false flag - the uptake on new tech. over the next 15 years will be fairly high. The diminishing number of 'fossil fuel' vehicles will have declined - I can see little point in taxing/penalising a small number of people effectively running mostly 'classic' vehicles. Rgds.

Chris
Post #850579 17th Aug 2020 7:18pm
Tim in Scotland

Canny Scots in this area seem to be taking to EV’s like ducks to water. Unfortunately for JLR they are avoiding the way too expensive IPace and going for Tesla 3’s, Renault Zoe’s and Kia e-Niro’s and there are a lot of 20 plated Kia Souls around too. Most of these are replacing Audi’s,BMW’s and Merc’s. In this village alone there must now be half a dozen Renault Zoe owners and at least 4 Tesla 3’s and a couple of Tesla X’s. Having driven the IPace it’s a pretty good car, just overpriced. With it costing £20 a year to recharge on a public charger as much as you like up here, what’s not to like! I’ve put £300 of diesel into my new Defender in the two months I’ve owned it, that’s £260 more than two years of recharging cost me in the Mini, and the Mini used about £800 of 4* petrol in its 35lt tank in 2 years. During lock down the mIni cost me zero for petrol and zero for electricity even though I was using it weekly to go to the shop in the next village a 10 miles round trip away where there is free charging. I did do home charging but the FIT from my solar panels more than covered the recharging of the Mini’s 7.2kw battery Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #850591 17th Aug 2020 8:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>