↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > JLR Extended test drive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Shiftingsideways

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
Also heard it advertised on local radio this morning, still half of the month left to fill up.

I wonder if they will have the demonstrators up for sale shortly after this promo finishes.

Andrew
Post #850087 15th Aug 2020 11:04am
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
The Demonstrator is for sale at Lookers in Bishop Stortford. I think it’s £53k it’s a D240 S

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #850089 15th Aug 2020 11:15am
J77

Scotland 
Shiftingsideways wrote:
Also heard it advertised on local radio this morning, still half of the month left to fill up.

I wonder if they will have the demonstrators up for sale shortly after this promo finishes.

Andrew

They have a few advertised on the used car website with dates when they are ready for sale.
Post #850096 15th Aug 2020 12:00pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
That's a lot of good for us Sun readers Rolling with laughter Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #850103 15th Aug 2020 12:09pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Im suddenly a bit overtaken by anticipation, like a child at Christmas Laughing
So far the confirmation is information light (date & time) I assume you need to take ID & Driving licence etc?

I was going to take my 110 and leave at the dealers but the temptation is probably to great to not take a picture of them both on the drive. Looks like the fiesta will have to clutter the dealership!! 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #850107 15th Aug 2020 12:44pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
They want your driving licence and your NI number! Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #850110 15th Aug 2020 12:50pm
J77

Scotland 
All I was asked for was my driving licence.
Post #850120 15th Aug 2020 1:30pm
muddypaws

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
I must admit, I was expecting the 'hard sale' when I returned but was only greeted with 'do you like it? - let us know if we can do something for you'
- took me completely by surprise Richard

Defender 90 SVX
Post #850129 15th Aug 2020 1:52pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Shiftingsideways wrote:

Andrew

I heard it too this morning, does seem odd that it has taken this long for JLR to actually advertise the Defender. Most of the radio ads I have heard have been for the Discovery....

And as per someone else’s comment, JLR could easily target existing users , or search their own dealer databases for past and present owners. My wife has had numerous Land Rover products since the days of the three door Freelander 1. She never gets any communications from the dealer.

Have JLR sales people had it good for so long that they have forgotten how to work for a sale......appears so
Post #850166 15th Aug 2020 6:14pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Well while it looks that way, the sales figures for Jaguar Land Rover products definitely suggests otherwise.
I think the Sales managers, dealership managers and dealership groups are absolutely dreadful at marketing and utilising the cheapest and most reliable marketing method available to them - and that is their existing customers. Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #850194 15th Aug 2020 8:20pm
Tim in Scotland

Of course there has been one major hurdle for the dealers since the spring - there was no way during lockdown down and even until recently that they could have viewing evenings when the cars have finally made it to showrooms unlike other cars in the range. C-19 seems to have caused a block in dealership managers imagination. I know that they had a showroom launch evert back in January I think but that was with cars that were driven from dealership to dealership around the country.
There was no launch night party at dealers where invited customers where introduced to the final versions of the car and some lucky owners got to take delivery. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #850200 15th Aug 2020 8:44pm
BigCol66

United Kingdom 
Hi everyone new to this forum as a long time Disco owner . Currently running a 2016 Disco 4 Landmark.
Well yesterday myself and the other half took up the extended offer of a test drive. We were both very impressed it was a D240 SE with extras.
Was impressed how quiet and smooth for a 4 cylinder. Would like to try a D5 though as I think the D5 would be better value car and be more powerful for towing. This was what we tried

Click image to enlarge
Post #850337 16th Aug 2020 3:52pm
BigCol66

United Kingdom 
Does look nice in silver

Click image to enlarge
Post #850338 16th Aug 2020 3:56pm
Smilesapart

United Kingdom 
Welcome. Come back and tell us your thoughts and decision after you’ve tried the D5 won’t you? Sold the Puma Defender and bought a brand new Pangea Green 2020 Defender D240 S with a few factory extras!
Post #850354 16th Aug 2020 4:49pm
oop north

United Kingdom 
I have been lurking here for a while - had a D3 in 2010 which was a disaster and got rid after 4 months, 2015 got a D4 which I had for 3.5 happy and reliable years, wife on second FL2. I have done an off-road session in a D5, and had a three hour drive in a defender 240. Ooh; should say I have a jaguar ipace (16 months and 14k miles in). I also had a full fat Range Rover vogue SE for 5 weeks 2500 miles when the iPace broke a part on back order. Drove the defender on A road, B road and dual carriageway. Much better to drive on B roads than the D4 was. 4 cylinders terrible getting onto roundabouts / out of junctions compared to my 3.0 litre D4 and the iPace (the full fat Range Rover (275 bhp version) felt Disappointing compared to the iPace. I may have been spoilt).

The defender was very comfortable and roomy and relaxing to drive. Having a rather excellent EV in the iPace though, 240 diesel four cylinder bhp definitely disappointing. I would maybe consider a 6-cyl or PHEV (hopefully the electric motor fills in from a standing start) but would really like 400 electric bhp please.

The Land Rover salesman are really anti ev, and I think JLR is in danger of dying before they get round to electrifying their range - it does of course remain to be seen what happens in the wider market place (and I acknowledge that I may not be representative of that having had a bmw i3 at the same time as the D4, and following a few ev people on twitter and being in ev groups on Facebook) but it seems extraordinary that the defender at launch was less efficient (mpg, co2) than everything else in the JLR range. There won’t be a full ev Range Rover or Land Rover for another 7 or so years, but Volvo are a year or two off an ev xc90 I think, ditto bmw with x5 (or a lower, sleeker version of rhat). I have managed half a dozen 380 miles in a day trips in the iPace and the charging position is only getting better. And I have a (share in a) wind turbine so generate some of my own “fuel”. Oh, and the JLR PHEVs have far too poor an electric range to consider sticking through my business - so if I get a PHEV as a compromise (ipace a bit on the small side for me) it may be an x5 with 50-odd (gentle!) electric miles rather than 20 as in Range Rover attempt.

I would love an EV defender - my wife and younger daughter both really like the new defender (and don’t care about emissions / mpg). Really not sure what I will get but 20 months to decide yet!
Post #850380 16th Aug 2020 7:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>