↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > 2020 Defender main discussion thread
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 143 of 351 <123 ... 142143144 ... 349350351>
Print this entire topic · 
zilch

Australia 
AndrewS wrote:
Just one for the moment, if they had launched the vehicle properly with all models and engines available I would have ordered more. Not happy about the price.

The Prices for late Defender models people are asking for are very high in Oz, equivalent to a new 110 Shocked yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #808174 30th Dec 2019 11:42pm
zilch

Australia 
AndrewS wrote:
Just one for the moment, if they had launched the vehicle properly with all models and engines available I would have ordered more. Not happy about the price.

The Prices for late Defender models people are asking for are very high in Oz, equivalent to a new 110 Shocked
Someone posted in NZ they sold their heritage for 65k sterling, that was a good investment and no
doubt has been stored from new yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #808175 30th Dec 2019 11:42pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
LR90XS2011 wrote:
Well I saw all 3 versions when I was invited to the customer perception thingy and I liked them a lot especially the 110.

Does that mean you actually saw a 130 then?
Post #808184 31st Dec 2019 6:07am
Supacat

chalky wrote:
I’ve also had a D5 and again that attracted negativity from everyone who had no inclination to even buy one.

Were they wrong?

chalky wrote:
hoping that the first editions aren’t blighted by the usual sticky infotainment and reliability issues regards oil dilution as this crippled me work wise with the D5.

chalky wrote:
I’m now driving a RRS SVR, which will no doubt upset most traditionalist defender drivers

Despite your best efforts, apparently not...

chalky wrote:
I have served in the military and used them extensively for over 2 decades, and driven Many thousands of miles I also feel like busted concertina when exiting the medieval torture device

And yet you were fooled into buying one? Confused
Post #808185 31st Dec 2019 6:28am
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
“When this forum was created and called Defender2 there were those that made reference to the fact that it was a defender and not a 2, similar to the D3 forum when the D3.5 came out or the D4 as some suggest‘

Or perhaps its because Defender.net has been taken by a network security product.

Not everything is a conspiracy
Post #808186 31st Dec 2019 8:10am
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Supacat wrote:
chalky wrote:
I’ve also had a D5 and again that attracted negativity from everyone who had no inclination to even buy one.

Were they wrong?

Nope, people who have no inclination to buy something who whinge and whine about it because it doesn’t suit their particular niche are always right, yourself included.

chalky wrote:
hoping that the first editions aren’t blighted by the usual sticky infotainment and reliability issues regards oil dilution as this crippled me work wise with the D5.

You forgot to insert a quote here, I’m presuming that having purchased several first editions of LR products from across the brand that you are lost for words, I know..... isn’t it annoying. Let’s NOT mention the customer service.

chalky wrote:
I’m now driving a RRS SVR, which will no doubt upset most traditionalist defender drivers

Despite your best efforts, apparently not..

See... you’re even offended by default, and I’m sure I’ve said this before, just because my opinion differs from yours and despite the fact that your constantly cutting and pasting quotes doesn’t make you right and me wrong ?

chalky wrote:
I have served in the military and used them extensively for over 2 decades, and driven Many thousands of miles I also feel like busted concertina when exiting the medieval torture device

And yet you were fooled into buying one? Confused

I haven’t been fooled into buying anything, I’ve grown up with them, we had series 2’s and 3’s on an estate that my family worked on when I grew up, I drove them from 11 years old, I passed my test in a series 3, we had the pre cursor to defender the ninety and one ten in the early 90’s, I worked with Special Vehicles at the factory to help develop the weapons mounted systems seen on many military applications, I’ve owned plenty of them and whilst they look good and serve a particular purpose for some that doesn’t mean just because you live and love yours it doesn’t mean that I have to as well. I had hoped to come on here and Glean useful snippets of info regarding this new and innovative successor to one of the worlds most Iconic vehicles, instead of embracing the unknown and adapting tho its easier to whine about stealing the defender name and its heritage ! By the very company that owns the right to that name ! It’s crackers ? You don’t see Range Rover drivers whining about stealing the Velar name to put on a Range Rover product, or a Ford Fiesta driver crying about the fact that the new ST model bares little or no resemblance to the original only in name, golf drivers moving from the newest incarnation to go back to the 70’s would say overwhelmingly that it’s archaic, small, uncomfortable and has absolutely no creature comforts. It lacks power and although it might have looked great once upon a time most people faced with the two side by side in a modern show room will pick something with 350bhp that’ll clip the wings of a 911, have 4wd an auto box and every creature comfort known to the motoring industry as opposed to a basic underpowered unreliable small car that has less power than today’s lowest spec shopping cars that all have air con, electric windows sat nav built in and a radio you can actually hear while doing the relevant speed limit.

I’m aware that my wants and needs are different from your own, the part you can’t see is that I don’t give a $heet ! When I drive 175 miles to work I need to be able to stand upright at the other end for that reason alone I’ve moved on,
Feel free to go berserk with the quote button, DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #808193 31st Dec 2019 9:10am
chalky

chopcat wrote:
“When this forum was created and called Defender2 there were those that made reference to the fact that it was a defender and not a 2, similar to the D3 forum when the D3.5 came out or the D4 as some suggest‘

Or perhaps its because Defender.net has been taken by a network security product.

Not everything is a conspiracy

What’s that got to do with naming a website over a decade ago anticipating the arrival of a new defender, which had flip down rear seats, a bulge in the bonnet and a new dash ? DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #808195 31st Dec 2019 9:25am
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
absolutely nothing. its about defender.net being used for something else and reading nothing into a number.

sorry for any anguish caused just seeking to suggest why there might be a 2 in the name.

Similarly going to Disco.net might get you exactly what it says

But I think your issue is more about the fact that the majority on here are passionate about the original defender. Hey, you must be as you have one despite the issues that you have identified with it. The new one is not a development of the old one but a totally different thing which those that love the old one are unlikely to fall in love with for the same reasons they fell for the original. In the same way you are not going to find Fiat 500 collectors buying the 2020 version - the engine is at the wrong end.
The principle of trading on a vehicles heritage is not new. Triumph did it with the Bonneville, VW with the Beetle etc. None of these are a development of the original, they are something different that uses the image of the original.
So lets not kid ourselves that the new one is in any way related to the original in anything but badges. That's not to say it might not be great. If it's anything like my Disco I am sure it will be.

But ask if it extends the Defender line the answer has to be no. Its the end of the defender and the start of something else.

Last edited by chopcat on 31st Dec 2019 10:08am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #808196 31st Dec 2019 9:54am
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Chalky,
I'm assuming you won't be trading down from the SVR to a Defender, so which do you intend to be your daily drive and which model have you ordered?

Off road and utilitarian capabilities don't appear to be a priority so I'm interested in what the new one offers you that all your previous Land Rovers didn't. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #808197 31st Dec 2019 10:02am
Supacat

chalky wrote:

Were they wrong?

Nope, people who have no inclination to buy something who whinge and whine about it because it doesn’t suit their particular niche are always right, yourself included.

Hey, I have every inclination and money burning a hole in my pocket to buy a new Defender...that's the very point of many of the comments from me and others. JLR have come up very short of the mark.

In many ways you are the proof of that pudding.

chalky wrote:

You forgot to insert a quote here, I’m presuming that having purchased several first editions of LR products from across the brand that you are lost for words, I know..... isn’t it annoying. Let’s NOT mention the customer service.

No I didn't forget to insert a quote, the point may have been lost on you - it was you bemoaning those that are negative about the D5 in the 1st post and then going on to be that very person in the 2nd post. Rolling Eyes
Post #808203 31st Dec 2019 10:49am
chalky

Chopcat, yes I understand what you are saying, but originally when the site was set up on the banner at the top it made reference to the “New Defender” this was something that was anticipated as the Td5 legacy ended and the rumour mill started about new seating, new dash, an engine from a transit van..... some “myself” included anticipated a new facelifted version and at that time it was refered to probably only by those on here as defender2 ? I didn’t know it couldn’t be just called defender because a malware company had bought the name I thought it referred to a 2nd coming of the defender,

Zed, what I’m after is something that I can fit in and be comfy, when I bought my first Defender a 200Tdi on a K plate in the 90’s my dad went mad as he had deemed It a death trap, fine for its intended use but for long Mtwy journies to and from camp he wasn’t happy with that, despite being a front line soldier in NI on a residential tour he was bothered about me crashing in what he called a road tractor, he had a Discovery at that time and you couldn’t buY a CSW at that time because of the fear that it would take sales from the original Disco, My rationale at that time was mainly due to the MT yard screwing the nut and working on vehicles out of hours upgrading bits, putting windows in the rear sides, roof racks, wheels on bonnet, stuff that was all fairly new in the 90’s, Any way that got nicked, back to the here and now I want something that reminds me of being a kid, growing up outdoors, shooting, fishing, camping, something I can throw the dogs in and drive down tracks and not feel guilty about keeping clean, something that might get knocked or dinged that wouldn’t bother me, I’d want an auto as my arm wouldn’t have to be going up and down like a fiddlers elbow, something with some space for me as a driver and for occupants, like driving to the pub,?me a passenger and 4 on the inward facing seats.... great in your 20’s still quite novel in your 30’s but by the time you’re in to the 40’s having 6 fully grown men, some who are still 6’8” but slightly wider means walking is more convenient. My son is just 15 and 6’3” and he doesn’t fit on the flip down rears in a station wagon, the leg room in a 110 2nd row isn’t ideal. I’ve got no arm room or leg room, I just think it’s small. I think it’s old and as time has moved on and I think about it’s lack of safety features for occupants and other road users including pedestrians it’s dangerous. It will replace my wife’s Tiguan which has loads room and is a biturbo so it goes well, it has as much room in the rear as the RRS, it’s for nostalgia, I’m not buying it to purposefully upset any one or to fulfill a space that I haven’t got for an extreme off roader or for a drilling flatform nor something to attach a winch to even, it’s just for me to look at, drive across the U.K. Europe and hopefully be happy.

Maybe I’m looking for something that isn’t there or maybe I don’t need one,? Despite all that I’m still getting one, and I haven’t ordered one yet, I gave a Dealer £500 in 2012 which I only remember because the Olympics were on, I’m told the first slot or their first one in has my name on it, I will spec my own tho and probably go for the 90 over the 110. DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #808204 31st Dec 2019 10:49am
Supacat

chalky wrote:

chalky wrote:

Despite your best efforts, apparently not..

See... you’re even offended by default

Do you have a different definition of "offended"?

I've seen no negativity towards you for driving a RRS SVR on this forum, especially from me?
Post #808205 31st Dec 2019 10:55am
Supacat

chalky wrote:
Maybe I’m looking for something that isn’t there

If you think you are doing this, then there's an obvious answer:

chalky wrote:
6 fully grown men, some who are still 6’8” but slightly wider...

I will spec my own tho and probably go for the 90 over the 110.
Post #808208 31st Dec 2019 11:07am
chalky

Supacat wrote:
chalky wrote:

Were they wrong?

Hey, I have every inclination and money burning a hole in my pocket to buy a new Defender...that's the very point of many of the comments from me and others. JLR have come up very short of the mark.

In many ways you are the proof of that pudding.

chalky wrote:

No I didn't forget to insert a quote, the point may have been lost on you - it was you bemoaning those that are negative about the D5 in the 1st post and then going on to be that very person in the 2nd post. Rolling Eyes

Are you talking about D5 or new defender ? If you have the inclination and the cash burning a hole in your pocket then I’d honestly get one. Despite the number plate issue which obviously didn’t bother me it was a great vehicle, very very capable both on road and off, I didn’t bother waiting for the oil dilution issue to get sorted and rejected mine ! I have had a newer digi dash one with the 300bhp engine and it is very nice to drive ! And having bought and paid for one I do feel I have the right to moan about something which didn’t work properly and needed servicing every month ?

As for the moaning I wasn’t generalising and aiming it just at you, there is plenty of negativity on here about it, I get that it won’t fill the hole in your hearts that the old one is currently filling but you don’t have to buy a new one,

There are reasons beyond any of our remit as to why the old one was finished, and I know you don’t need me to tell you what the reasons are for it’s demise, the fact remains that production ceased 4 years ago, I can get you a brand new never been driven 90 station wagon in Havana if you want it ?
It’s a 15 plate, but it’s not cheap ? Personally and as you might have guessed I’d rather have a new one, DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN

Last edited by chalky on 31st Dec 2019 11:19am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #808209 31st Dec 2019 11:12am
chalky

Supacat wrote:
chalky wrote:
Maybe I’m looking for something that isn’t there

If you think you are doing this, then there's an obvious answer:

chalky wrote:
6 fully grown men, some who are still 6’8” but slightly wider...

I will spec my own tho and probably go for the 90 over the 110.

You do know they stopped doing the 4 inward facing seats over a decade ago right ? And my time machine is broken so I can’t re visit my youth !
Seeing as your he’ll bent on gaining the morale high ground you crack on with your “quote” button, make sure you only show the snippets that make your Y fronts swell and try not to get your mums key board sticky !

Have a good New Year ! DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #808210 31st Dec 2019 11:19am
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Back to top
Page 143 of 351 <123 ... 142143144 ... 349350351>