↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > HAND BRAKE FAILURE - YEOVIL LANDROVER HAVE FIXED THE VEHICLE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
olympus51342

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
HAND BRAKE FAILURE - YEOVIL LANDROVER HAVE FIXED THE VEHICLE
**** SINCE PLACING THIS POST PETER AT YEOVIL LANDROVER HAS INTERVENED AND OUR LANDROVER IS NOW FULLY REPAIRED AND BACK ON THE ROAD *****

MANY THANKS

Our 2010 110 Puma was subject to a handbrake fault recall. It went to Yeovil Landrover a week ago for the modification. We only use the vehicle at weekends and in the 10 months we have had the vehicle we have only clocked up 5500 miles.

The vehicle was parked on a slight gradient and left for 30 minutes. We then heard the alarm go off and went outside to find the land rover had rolled away and hit a wall.
The hand brake was still in the up position, it has only ever come up three clicks from new, but when we got in to retreive the vehicle and parked it on the flat the handbrake now comes up 7 clicks and does not start to get tight until 5 clicks.

Please offer your thoughts on this as after contacting Yeovil Land Rover they would not accept any responsibility and stated we must have left the hand brake off. Their test was - getting in pulling the handbrake up and down a few times and saying theres nothing wrong with that.
Has anyone else had a runaway Defender?

Could do with a drawing of the puma handbrake assy to see if I can spot what may have gone wrong if any one knows a link to where I may find it i would be greatful

Mark

Last edited by olympus51342 on 7th Jul 2011 11:00pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #78798 3rd Jul 2011 3:33pm
parktag

France 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Tell them to try it on a hill.
Mines also leaking so i leave it in gear all of the time until i get it fixed. Not much use to you now but it wouldn't have rolled away. Sad 130 crew cab
98 V8 Disco
Post #78819 3rd Jul 2011 6:12pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Mark

Not had a runaway Defender but Yeovil LR did the recall on my vehicle and managed to turn a perfectly good transmission seal and the associated handbrake components into one spewing oil everywhere.

Now all repaired and OK.

Did you talk to the dealer principal or the workshop manager ?

Bob
Post #78822 3rd Jul 2011 6:25pm
Cannonball

Ireland 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Good idea to always leave any vehicle in gear when parked.
Post #78839 3rd Jul 2011 7:39pm
NoDo$h

England 
Oh crap, I had mine done there last week Shocked 

54 Freelander modded for mud
2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
1978 88 Series 3 undergoing surgery with a new owner
2007 90 County Truck Cab - gone
2006 D3 SE - gone
2004 Freelander Sport - gay
1999 Disco V8 ES rotted to bits
Post #78848 3rd Jul 2011 8:32pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
It was a common issue back in the day - the dad of a friend of mine (both farmers) left the handbrake on in the disco and returned to find it in a ditch, handbrake still on Mike
Post #78849 3rd Jul 2011 9:06pm
cinstone

England 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
bob neville wrote:
Mark

Not had a runaway Defender but Yeovil LR did the recall on my vehicle and managed to turn a perfectly good transmission seal and the associated handbrake components into one spewing oil everywhere.

Now all repaired and OK.

Did you talk to the dealer principal or the workshop manager ?

Bob

Indeed, as it says in the handbook, so I bet the dealer will try and squirm their way out of it on this.

Chris. http://shropshirelandrovers.freeforums.org

2015 Defender 90 XS SW & Helen, 1964 IIa. Previously 2012 Defender 90 XS SW & 2008 90 XS SW.

Previous LR's: Michael, my 2008 Defender 90 XS SW.

Machinas oportet intrare non capsicum annuum faveo
Post #78887 3rd Jul 2011 11:32pm
NoDo$h

England 
Bob, is your DCPU in YLR today? I dropped my D3 in for a new front diff and saw a rather nice green DC in the car park. 

2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
2006 D3 SE - gone
Post #78938 4th Jul 2011 12:20pm
bob neville

NoDo$h wrote:
Bob, is your DCPU in YLR today? I dropped my D3 in for a new front diff and saw a rather nice green DC in the car park.

Sure is, parked back on to the gravel area where the used vehicles are Thumbs Up

They are replacing the side steps, trying to sort the front passenger side water leak, probably a new windscreen frame and a couple of other small paint problems.

Brand new FL2 top of the range job for the week now, tried to extract a D4 or Range Rover from them but no luck !

Bob
Post #78945 4th Jul 2011 12:52pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
bob neville wrote:
NoDo$h wrote:

Sure is, parked back on to the gravel area where the used vehicles are Thumbs Up

They are replacing the side steps, trying to sort the front passenger side water leak, probably a new windscreen frame and a couple of other small paint problems.

Brand new FL2 top of the range job for the week now, tried to extract a D4 or Range Rover from them but no luck !

Bob

That's what we had when our handbrake and clutch were being sorted. HSE SD4 (190bhp) - pretty well specced but horribly light steering and found it hard to place accurately. Boot comically small too and for £38k I would expect a little more.

Not bad overall though. Bottomed out several times on our "home" 4x4 "test" garden! Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #78950 4th Jul 2011 1:33pm
pom

agree the gaylander 2 is horrible. Its just an expensive and not particularly good estate car. No low range etc

To the OP if I understand you, prior to the recall your brake came up 3 clicks. You then parked it up put on '3 clicks' it proceeded to crash into a wall and then you found it needed '7 clicks' ?

I have to say loath as I am to ever agree with a dealer but it does sound like a user issue.

If you can repeat the failure then your in the clear. If you can't and the dealer has checked for damaged parts and can find nothing then its insurance time for accidental damage.

Allways allways leave the thing in gear.

Pom

edit: Yeovil parts dept have a good reputation on this forum and I have used them a couple times, no idea of the service side though.
Post #78958 4th Jul 2011 2:50pm
olympus51342

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
The hand brake always came up 3 clicks from new and also 3 clicks since the recall, but now following the wall incident it comes up 7 or more clicks, but only since it hit the wall.

Do you think the handbrake cable was not seated properly and has now popped into its correct possition?
could it have done this whilst parked? or did the linings get hot, cool down and then let go of the drum????

I cant find a diagram of the cable and linkage has anyone got one or a link to one

cheers

got an x brake on the challenge truck - no worries there
Post #78962 4th Jul 2011 3:12pm
pom

I would give Land Rover Assist a call and get them to come out, its free for the first 3 years anyway. They will give you an impartial check (in my experience anyway)the dealers allways try and fob you off.

Pom
Post #78963 4th Jul 2011 3:14pm
NoDo$h

England 
bob neville wrote:
NoDo$h wrote:

Bob

Ah, I too have an HSE FL2 while they fit the diff, replace some suspension bushes, fit a new aux belt tensioner and hide a rotten fish in my aircon. Thumbs Up

I should have popped around the corner to say hello. Do you know Bob Hatcher? 

2008 D3 SE
2010 90 XS SW
2006 D3 SE - gone
Post #78989 4th Jul 2011 7:03pm
bob neville

Sure do know Bob Thumbs Up

Is yours a silver D3/D4 and did you take the top road into the dealers - if so I saw you go past as I was walking to the office.

Always welcome to drop into the office for a chat, if it's lunchtime, I know a good pub Thumbs Up

Bob
Post #78997 4th Jul 2011 7:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>