↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Should I have got a Puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MarkVesnaG

Australia 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Should I have got a Puma
Dont mean to sound like a wet blanket, but after watching and reading peoples reviews on there troubled Land rover Defender puma TDCi in the UK mostly. I dont know how I feel now about my 6 month old Puma, Its going great guns! only 2,700kms, yer some bloody body pannls dont line up but realy thats it. Are Defenders worth taking miles into the Aussie bush? with the next homestead a day away. Should I trust it like my old LN HiLux?. Love to see what some of you guys out there say about there Defenders. Thumbs Up
Post #78447 30th Jun 2011 3:56am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
All furums on almost all subjects generally only have the bad news stories. There are some on here with trouble free motors at high milages, I like you was thinking why have I spent a load of money on something that is so bad. Also people tend to join forums when looking for answers to a problem those with no problems dont tend to join. So Ive decided to not worry and enjoy it after all there are thousands of defenders built every year and thousands have no problems at all. Im hoping mine will be one of them DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #78453 30th Jun 2011 6:13am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Mine has given me excellent service....never a truer word about 'just hearing the bad on forums generally but there are 'exceptions to the rules!'

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic5007.html?highlight=clutch If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #78457 30th Jun 2011 8:04am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Re: Should I have got a Puma
MarkVesnaG wrote:
Dont mean to sound like a wet blanket, but after watching and reading peoples reviews on there troubled Land rover Defender puma TDCi in the UK mostly. I dont know how I feel now about my 6 month old Puma, Its going great guns! only 2,700kms, yer some bloody body pannls dont line up but realy thats it. Are Defenders worth taking miles into the Aussie bush? with the next homestead a day away. Should I trust it like my old LN HiLux?. Love to see what some of you guys out there say about there Defenders. Thumbs Up

In general they are not as relaible as a toyota/nissan. However the only parts prone to let you down are a totally broken clutch or damaged brake line. Those however should have been sorted by now. Otherwise, I think the landy should take you up to the next town. You should consider to take with you some serviceable items + UJ`s+ oil seals. Also include a vaccum cleaner to collect the Au dust from the rear cargo space Thumbs Up Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #78476 30th Jun 2011 11:00am
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Forums do distill issues and make them look worse. U also think while most forum users are enthusiasts, they are also often very fussy/picky! Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #78478 30th Jun 2011 11:15am
spudfan

Ireland 
Think of it this way. If we were on a site about wives and not our Defenders, how many positive posts would you get? Very Happy 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #78482 30th Jun 2011 12:18pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

And a quick look at Mumsnet (approach with care) gives the impression all women are complete psyco nutters, hate all men and have satanic kids. Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #78486 30th Jun 2011 1:02pm
KarlB

Australia 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
My 2010 D90 has done just over 33,000 km in 14 months and hasn't missed a beat. Several trips into reasonably remote places (see here for a trip when the veicle was on a couple of months old: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic3420.html . Heading over to Ceduna (from Canberra) to do the Goog's Track and a week in the western part of the Gawler Ranges in October. Like any vehicle you need to get a few kms up to give you peace of mind and confidence. Stop being a woos and get out there. A Defender, off the showroom floor, is a far more capable touring vehicle that a Hilux could ever be.

Cheers
KarlB
PS Have you joined the AuLRO Forum? Quite a few from on here are member there.
Post #78488 30th Jun 2011 1:42pm
Rob A

Brazil 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alpine White
Puma in Brazil
I have not posted for a while because I have recently been on a long overland trip around Brazil with a very heavy PUMA Defender. 12 months and 45.000 Km later and not a problem. We visited every Brazilian state, passed through some of the remotest areas in South America and crossed the Amazon rain forest. The biggest issues we had was a slightly torn hose and a leaky air con, both easily fixed.

In other words, from my experience, get out in the Bush, you will have a great time with your PUMA . . . Thumbs Up

Rob A

For details of our trip check here www.challengingyourdreams.com/blog/ 130 HCPU 2.4TDCi
110 300TDi
Post #78490 30th Jun 2011 2:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DefenderOfTheEarth

KarlB wrote:
My 2010 D90 has done just over 33,000 km in 14 months and hasn't missed a beat. Several trips into reasonably remote places (see here for a trip when the veicle was on a couple of months old: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic3420.html . Heading over to Ceduna (from Canberra) to do the Goog's Track and a week in the western part of the Gawler Ranges in October. Like any vehicle you need to get a few kms up to give you peace of mind and confidence. Stop being a woos and get out there. A Defender, off the showroom floor, is a far more capable touring vehicle that a Hilux could ever be.

Cheers
KarlB
PS Have you joined the AuLRO Forum? Quite a few from on here are member there.

I genuinely just tried to swat your fly avatar - DOH!!

Just been to the park in mine - I even went up a kerb at one point Laughing Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #78496 30th Jun 2011 3:28pm
spudfan

Ireland 
That's it. Wife and kids up for sale-winch and waterproof seat covers taken in exchange. Time to hit the road or track as the case maybe. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #78497 30th Jun 2011 3:30pm
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
Mine is 13 months old, done 18000 miles, minor warranty issue but one dam fine piece of engineering that has never let me down. She will take me home tomorrow night up the A483 after a very hard week in Milford Haven and for that i am very grateful. I also had to cope with a kerb this evening.... But she coped admirably. 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #78549 1st Jul 2011 1:37am
Grockle

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
pm dmtd5 he lives in Gove in the Northern Territory, which is 1,100 kms from his dealer, seems very happy with his Puma 2.4 90 XS
1968 1/32 scale Britains 109 Pick up.
Post #78563 1st Jul 2011 8:25am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Re: Should I have got a Puma
MarkVesnaG wrote:

Well I took our UK Defender around the Australian bush! 25,00miles40,000km in an 8 month trip. OK it was a 96 300TDi. Have a look HERE

That was as a solo vehicle and included crossing the Simpson desert. Yes we also landed up rescuing a Hilux driver! Rolling with laughter A well maintained vehicle is more then capable of being in the Aussie bush. I would personally recommend that you use any vehicle for a year or so before going 'bush'/long trip. Reason being that you actually KNOW that the vehicle has been maintained/sorted out any initial niggles etc.

Have a few words with the locals on AULRO as well

Brendan
Post #78565 1st Jul 2011 8:43am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
There was in fact a fairly lengthy feel-good, my Defender is great on here before...... Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #78570 1st Jul 2011 9:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>