↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > what raised air intake would you suggest?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
amondeggs

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Woodcote Green
what raised air intake would you suggest?
HI I am wanting to fit a raised air intake and am stuck between

1) the removable type which you dont have to drill holes in the wing to fit. These appeal as if I need to removed it or choose to remove it I will not be left with holes Mad !

2) Mantec I personally like the look of these Cool

3) Safari I have read these are very good but cost a fortune. Are they worth it Question

4) a Safari type copy that usually have the word defender embossed onto the outside. Look good for about £80

I know nothing about the performance of each of these so please if you are in the know help me to make up my mind.

thanks in advance Thumbs Up

IN addition if any of you have one for sale Question plaese let me know as I want to get one of these before I go off exploring WILD WALES Razz
Post #77181 22nd Jun 2011 8:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Re: what raised air intake would you suggest?
amondeggs wrote:
2) Mantec I personally like the look of these Cool

Mantec FTW Smile --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #77197 22nd Jun 2011 9:01pm
Landie Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
What ever you do, don't get the Safari copy. I wouldn't trust the plastics

Jack
Post #77199 22nd Jun 2011 9:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
When I looked into this I came to the conclusion that only the Safari was worth it.

In terms of being fit for purpose its the only one I found that doesn't seal against the wing - it has an integrated pipe that passes through the wing and properly seals to the internal pipe work they provide. Anything that seals against the wing runs the risk of vibration or twisting breaking that seal and making it useless.

If you block up a raised air intake - on most you can hear the air getting sucked in from all the leaks. The Safari ones collapse as they are sucked in.

That's the second point in their favour - I know of someone who rolled their 90 onto its side on top of their safari snorkel - which when they got back on their wheels just popped back into shape with no damage.

A lot of the others would crack and be crushed with a lot less pressure than the weight of a 90.

So it seems to me if you are serious about water proofing your engine and want the toughest product - safari seems to be the only one.
Post #77204 22nd Jun 2011 9:28pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
I went for a Safari firstly as I love the look of them and because of the quality. I looked at a couple of Mantec ones where the moulding wasn't very good - had small air pockets in the mould Rolling Eyes I also read about other people's concerns that the Mantec might restrict air intake as it is so narrow. HERE

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic2105.h...p;start=45

Whilst spraying half the A post bracket in body colour I also sprayed some grommets so that if I want to take it off which would take 30 mins max the grommets simply push into the holes Thumbs Up

Couple of pics - not easy to find good size pics of them! Thumbs Up

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #77214 22nd Jun 2011 10:18pm
amondeggs

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 HT Woodcote Green
thanks all of you for your comments I really appreciate it. Bow down

It is as I thought that you do get what you pay for. I think I will begin my hunt for a safari snorkel.

Cheers Thumbs Up
Post #77220 22nd Jun 2011 10:37pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
The mantec one doesn't restrict airflow, not sure where that came from, it's nonsense. The mantec is also OEM. Yes the safari is well made, but you can just as easily seal the mantec as you can the safari.
Post #77261 23rd Jun 2011 11:51am
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
The Safari one doesn't seal to the wing - it seals directly to a pipe that runs to the airbox.

Unless it's changed - the mantec just seals to the wing and doesn't have an integrated pipe that passes through it.
Post #77280 23rd Jun 2011 1:48pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
It doesn't need to have an integrated pipe, the seal is watertight invent Mantec if you use rtv. And let's face it, if you're in water which giesxwell over the intake position on the wing you're probably going to have some fairly major issues to worry about anyway
Post #77281 23rd Jun 2011 1:50pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Anderzander wrote:
The Safari one doesn't seal to the wing - .

Oh yes it does!! Well it 'can be' I too went for Safari and I also sealed mine to stop grit and crud from migrating behind and possibly damaging the paintwork....

Comparison photos taken from my gallery...

Personally I think the Safari sits better on the wing...

'Nelly The Elephant' or Frank Sinatra Trilby Hat????

Click image to enlarge
 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #77287 23rd Jun 2011 1:59pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I prefer the Safari, but also like the Mantec !
Post #77303 23rd Jun 2011 2:32pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Anderzander wrote:
The Safari one doesn't seal to the wing - it seals directly to a pipe that runs to the airbox.

The new Safari does now seal directly to the wing via a thick gasket provided that's fits on the side air intake hole. The gasket squashes up nicely on it's own with the repositioned bolts. No wing distortion and easy to put on and take off if you take the wing eyebrow off which takes literally 30 secs Thumbs Up They have also reduced the size of the "A" Post bracket now only needing 3 holes - It's very quick and easy to put on although messy for me. I have a can of etch primer on the shelf from my re-build but have some stuff that negates the need for etching which I used on my new galv Series 2 chassis. Industrial stuff that goes straight on and also acts as a sealer, like painting rubber, (can't remember what it's called without looking BUT only comes in big tins) and I sheathed the fasteners into the "A" post with plenty of other anti-corroding gunk to stop corrosion. Very easy to fit it's just messy Thumbs Up

I didn't run sealant around the wing top like K9F but get the right sealant if you do, and don't use domestic sealant with anti-mould additive as it has acid in it which will eat your plastic etc over time. Marine sealant is good, you won't need it anyway, looks cleaner without it all! Wink Very Happy Thumbs Up
Post #77321 23rd Jun 2011 4:16pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
BigMike wrote:
The mantec one doesn't restrict airflow, not sure where that came from

I put the wrong link up (I noted the posted link as it had K9F very handy comparison with pics which helped me make up my mind!) It must be on another thread where Glyn (who likes his Mantec!) said he thought air was not restricted and put up some tech diagrams to prove his point - which lost me altogether Confused Looked very pretty though Laughing
Post #77340 23rd Jun 2011 5:05pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
The great Mantec v Safari v all the others debate...

...again. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #77344 23rd Jun 2011 5:12pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Zag, if air was restricted it would cause a maf sensor fault. I very much doubt Landrover would have made the Mantec RAI OEM if there was an issue.
Post #77368 23rd Jun 2011 5:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>