↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > 110 XS , upgrade from a D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Barry

United Kingdom 
110 XS , upgrade from a D3
Finally got the time to work out the whole photo thing so thought I would get my first shot of the 110 up.

Taken the morning I picked it up at the dealers back in April.

Pls don't mention the lamp guards , I am sensitive about them Rolling with laughter

No other mods yet , but have a list that is far too long.

Click image to enlarge
 2011 Defender XS 110 Station Wagon - Rejected
2008 Discovery 3 XS Auto (Gone)
1997 Discovery ES Auto 300TDI (Traded in on a flat bed)
Post #76713 19th Jun 2011 8:18pm
galawaygreen

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Nice wish I could park mine indoors Very Happy
Post #76715 19th Jun 2011 8:22pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Looking good Thumbs Up

galawaygreen wrote:
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #76729 19th Jun 2011 9:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Nice truck! 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #76731 19th Jun 2011 9:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Barry

United Kingdom 
galawaygreen wrote:

It's the Statstone thing , or at least it is where I got it , covered in a Green Sheet and they pull it off while you are standing there feeling a little silly wondering how you are supposed to react. 2011 Defender XS 110 Station Wagon - Rejected
Post #76732 19th Jun 2011 9:46pm
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Barry wrote:
galawaygreen wrote:

It's the Statstone thing , or at least it is where I got it , covered in a Green Sheet and they pull it off while you are standing there feeling a little silly wondering how you are supposed to react.

Next time put your hands to your forehead and point two fingers so they look like horns, scrape one foot on the ground while at the same time making snorting sounds - see how that grabs 'em Laughing

Nice truck BTW Wink Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #76737 19th Jun 2011 10:09pm
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Barry wrote:
standing there feeling a little silly wondering how you are supposed to react.

...About £30,000.00 worse off Laughing

Doesn't this pic just show that a black 110 XS SW really is the top cat? Whistle
Post #76738 19th Jun 2011 10:11pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Smart Cool John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #76759 19th Jun 2011 11:22pm
CR

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
black is the new black
Post #76775 20th Jun 2011 9:01am
irishrover

Ireland 
Hi Barry,

how are you finding the change over from the Discovery 3 to the defender 110. thinking of making the move over myself, either later in the year or else in early 2012. I presume the only way to see what its like is to take a drive in one. I drove an 06 110 a few years back, and the only thing i can remember is thinking, why LR havent moved the steering wheel a few inches to the left to make more room for your right hand! has it being a successful change over do you think?

Regards,

Ian. irishrover
Post #77714 25th Jun 2011 10:10am
Barry

United Kingdom 
irishrover wrote:
Hi Barry,

how are you finding the change over from the Discovery 3 to the defender 110. thinking of making the move over myself, either later in the year or else in early 2012. I presume the only way to see what its like is to take a drive in one. I drove an 06 110 a few years back, and the only thing i can remember is thinking, why LR havent moved the steering wheel a few inches to the left to make more room for your right hand! has it being a successful change over do you think?

Regards,

Ian.

Hi Ian ,

I am very please with the move , the kids love it and it ticks all the boxes for what I wanted.

1) Something the wouldn't depreciate to a stupid extent incase I wanted to get rid in 3/4 years but something that I could keep for ever it I wanted to (I would like to be in the keep for ever bracket but never manager more than 2/3 years ever)

2) Would Tow our twin Axle van easily and if I get stuck I would know I would have gotten stuck in anything else.

3) Something that would make a great 7 seat family car , one the family would love and I wouldn't be killing the kids ever 5 minutes for climbing around in

4) Something I could take the family camping and carry all the gear / bikes etc...etc... This is the ultimate camping car , used to go to a campsite where a guy had a Camel Trophy and a huge yellow trailer , he used to have everything in the back / on the top , the kids would climb up and throw stuff down , he had a winch which he would hook to a mates car and they would do tight rope walking on it , how to be a cool dad 101...

5) Had Aircon (been stuck on too many motorways without it)

The rest of the stuff , sunroof , electric windows etc... wasn't bothered about , SatNav , Cruise , Parking Assist I can fit if I want.

I had this huge desire to get one anyway , have for years and years , we had an old P Reg Discovery I got off eBay about 7/8 years ago , that was supposed to be a Defender but second hand prices where too high for my mind to accept , then the D3 , that was supposed to be a Defender but I bottled out and got the D3 , this time I just did it (Many cos the wife said I should - see real man lol )

I had a test drive but it doesn't tell you alot other than they are louder , cramped around the right shoulder (as you said) jerky and slow and alot more difficult to drive than a D3 Auto. I would say if you are mad about getting one (like I was) then you know what you want (but the test drive doesn't hurt ) but I would say if not or the option is available see if you can get one for a few days to live with it.

But remember after that some of the stuff will still get better , you learn to steer differently and the cramp position goes away , the noise becomes something you learn to love a little and the speed , well the speed changes your outlook in my opinion , takes me a little longer to get places but I am chilled when I get there and so pleased to be the one that pulled in to wherever in the defender. saw a sticker one that I need to find "You can go fast , I can go anywhere"

It's also a great community , the lads on here are so helpful and you can learn some great stuff , the waves and nods when you pass a defender (like having the bike again) and the people who just walk up to you cos they want to ask something or they have one.

And then there is the , what shall I buy for it next , other cars I have never done much to , it was either too new or not worth it now will be getting rid soon , and when you spend money on broken bits it makes you car a little better so what's to complain about lol

So , still loving it !

Hope it makes sense for you , it is a great move .

Oh , and forgot to mention , you love to talk about it , Sorry but hope it helps.... 2011 Defender XS 110 Station Wagon - Rejected
Post #77764 25th Jun 2011 3:45pm
irishrover

Ireland 
Thanks Barry, plenty of great feed back there anyway! can tell your well and truly into it. was looking at a 110 Utility myself. My Disco 3 commercial was my first car, but like you i was looking at a defender and in the finish went with the Disco. Id like to get something with at least 5 seats and the money id have to spend on coming up a year or 2 in Discovery 3 form, i could have a 110 Utility pretty much new out of the box! dont get me wrong the disco is great but getting feed back from some 1 who has already made the change over could put my mind at ease and persuade me, and my bank manager to take the plunge into Deferder ownership.
thanks for the feed back, and hope you accumulate many great memories in the Defender in years to come!

Regards Thumbs Up

Ian. irishrover
Post #77790 25th Jun 2011 6:20pm
Barry

United Kingdom 
Good Luck , & Thanks

Hope it turns out to be the right choice for you , they are one of a kind !

When I first saw the utility I thought that was the way I would go , seamed ideal given the car has no boot cover then metal is the next best thing lol . however we found it a little louder in the back ,guess noise killer would sort that, and we decided we couldn't do without the 7 seats ( we have 3 kids).

The rear view was a little tight given that you only get the window in the door and not in the sides of the door like the stationwagon , but I think you can get them as an optional if I am not mistaken.

Anyway , hope it works out for you ! and we see picks of it on here soon ! 2011 Defender XS 110 Station Wagon - Rejected
Post #77795 25th Jun 2011 7:03pm
nzdefender

Great write up on the comparison, and great looking XS. Looking to get in a 90 or 110 as soon as I land in NZ.
Post #78449 30th Jun 2011 4:39am
chiefstoker

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 HT Zambezi Silver
Is a nice truck, but what I quite like is when you are driving your Defender other car 4wd drivers look at you, I'm sure most of them are envious and had to settle for something more sedate and car-like because a Defender isnt suitable or the wife wont let them! Cool You do have to be a bit weird to want to drive a sluggish 70yr old designed car Laughing 2005 TD5 90 Hard Top

Beer 'n Sex 'n Chips 'n Gravy

Post #78456 30th Jun 2011 7:36am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>