Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dgardel

Italy 
DEFENDER 2.2L Puma comparison
Many Thanks to William

Click image to enlarge

SEE CO2 emissions....

This confirm that is ONLY RELATED to the FORD cost reduction optimization for the PUMAs lines production, it will produce only the 2.2 (and the 3.2L 5 cyls???).

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #72468 24th May 2011 12:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Landie Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Re: DEFENDER 2.2L Puma comparison
dgardel wrote:
Many Thanks to William

Click image to enlarge

SEE CO2 emissions....

This confirm that is ONLY RELATED to the FORD cost reduction optimization for the PUMAs lines production, it will produce only the 2.2 (and the 3.2L 5 cyls???).

The compression will be interesting, at the moment to really slow it down in first low you have to turn the AC on and all the electronics...

Jack

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #72485 24th May 2011 1:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Landie Boy wrote:

The compression will be interesting, at the moment to really slow it down in first low you have to turn the AC on and all the electronics...

Jack

you definitely dont have to do that on a 90.
Post #72502 24th May 2011 3:10pm
Landie Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
BigMike wrote:
Landie Boy wrote:

Jack

Sorry, i forgot to mention if you are going down some steep slopes.

Jack
Post #72503 24th May 2011 3:16pm
BruceT

South Africa 
Sorry to disagree with you Landie Boy but I have been down some serious slopes including a measured 42 deg test slope and there is no increase in speed. Its slower than my TD5.
I heard with the early puma models they did but it was apparently sorted out, but not sure.
Post #72505 24th May 2011 3:27pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Landie Boy wrote:
BigMike wrote:
Landie Boy wrote:

Jack

Sorry, i forgot to mention if you are going down some steep slopes.

Jack

Yeah I knew what you meant, and no, you don't have to do that in a 90. Mine will creep down in low 1st at a pace that's barely moving. It's only the longer wheelbase versions which had that issue
Post #72510 24th May 2011 3:34pm
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
This post from a fellow SA Defender owner sums it up nicely:

Quote:
Oh how cute! I cannot wait for them to change to a eco-friendly 500cc engine with 5 turbo's, 3 superchargers, and a electric drive! That is so FABulous!

OK serious now: why don't LR call the new engine the "Two and a Quarter" and then going with the Tata Telcoline 2 litre engine, and finally back to the roots in bringing back the original 1600cc. Besides, with green laning being restricted more and more every year in England, what is the use of having a LR over there at all? Everything is designed around Euro 5 or 6 or 7 nowadays, how about Africa 0?

In darkest Africa and the Outback of Oz people still prefer a proper lump of old technology. Bring us a 3 litre diesel turbo, something with exhaust fumes that will keep the mosquitos away, something that can digest a litre of water in the fuel tank without requiring R30k to replace injectors and pumps, something that can cross a 1,5 meter deep river without dying, something that you can tune with a 13mm spanner and a screwdriver (no laptop required). I am just more convinced to keep to my old Landy, and rather fix her and keep her in good shape, than to spend hundreds of thousands on new things that will just irritate the crap out of me.
 --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #72647 25th May 2011 7:53am
Scallops

Australia 
Naks wrote:

Quote:
Oh how cute! I cannot wait for them to change to a eco-friendly 500cc engine with 5 turbo's, 3 superchargers, and a electric drive! That is so FABulous!

OK serious now: why don't LR call the new engine the "Two and a Quarter" and then going with the Tata Telcoline 2 litre engine, and finally back to the roots in bringing back the original 1600cc. Besides, with green laning being restricted more and more every year in England, what is the use of having a LR over there at all? Everything is designed around Euro 5 or 6 or 7 nowadays, how about Africa 0?

In darkest Africa and the Outback of Oz people still prefer a proper lump of old technology. Bring us a 3 litre diesel turbo, something with exhaust fumes that will keep the mosquitos away, something that can digest a litre of water in the fuel tank without requiring R30k to replace injectors and pumps, something that can cross a 1,5 meter deep river without dying, something that you can tune with a 13mm spanner and a screwdriver (no laptop required). I am just more convinced to keep to my old Landy, and rather fix her and keep her in good shape, than to spend hundreds of thousands on new things that will just irritate the crap out of me.

Good call from your friend. The problem is, the majority of Defender drivers these days don't use them in the conditions stated, and as a result are quite happy to have things as they are - electronics, ever decreasing small capacity engines and all that goes with them. Those who do, understand the sentiment and generally concur.
Post #72811 25th May 2011 11:02pm
Marius

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Naks wrote:

Quote:

NAKS what you are looking for/describing is a 76 Cruiser, with it's 4.2 l Diesel no Turbo - No mess...No Fuss Smile
Post #72847 26th May 2011 8:11am
Marius

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
I LOVE the defender.

But It would be awsome if the 4.2 HZ Engine from the 76 Cruiser can be fitted in the Puma.

Best of both worlds!
Post #72849 26th May 2011 8:13am
LESVOSD110

South Africa 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Fuji White
Marius wrote:
I LOVE the defender.

But It would be awsome if the 4.2 HZ Engine from the 76 Cruiser can be fitted in the Puma.

Best of both worlds!

sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Diesel engines and cc's equals Grunt. Bow down Puma 110 SW
90 V8 SOFT TOP
Post #72864 26th May 2011 9:35am
DasLandRoverMan

1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
You'd think that as John Eales can fit a TDV6 into a Defender with either the Disco 3 manual box, or an auto, surely Land Rover would have tried to do it themselves again?

Let's be honest, those who buy Defenders either have them as cars, many choosing them over Yotas, Jeeps etc with similarly sized or larger lumps, or commercial users who always want more power etc.... I doubt very much many other considerations such as tax bracket, emissions etc come into it. You want one because it is what it is, or because it's the best for the job.
Who would buy a Tdci powered defender if the TDV6 was available as an option? It wouldn't hurt for JLR to bring their engines all 'in house' either. 1982 Wife
1984 300 Tdi 110 H/T 'Recovery'

Plus 4 kids and a dog.

Previously owned: 1956 86" Series I, 1960 SWB Series II, 1964 Series IIA Forward Control, 1966 Series IIB Forward Control, 1969 Series IIA Lightweight, 1969 Series IIA One Ton, 1973 Series III One Ton, 1975 101 Forward Control, 1987 V8 90 CSW, 1988 2.5 TD 90, 1988 V8 110 CSW, 1992 200Tdi Defender 90, 1993 V8 Range Rover, 1995 300 Tdi Discovery.
Post #73117 27th May 2011 8:31pm
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I use mine for work everyday. Jap crap can't legally tow 3.5 tonne. All the farmers by me have at least one. I wouldn't mind more power but it's not the end of the world. I would be the other way disco as car and defender as the workhorse and off roader. I think many people buy jap stuff on price and the fact you only fit in a defender with the window open and steer with your knees.
Post #73120 27th May 2011 8:46pm
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
I drive my Defender because it gets its job done. I don't care a penny what engine is in there. The 2.4 Puma does well and appears to be quite reliable. If a new 2.2 would do the same, who cares? I don't need a monster machine eating fuel and my money like hell.
Post #73153 28th May 2011 5:47am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
NinetyTD4 wrote:
I don't need a monster machine eating fuel and my money like hell.

Laughing Laughing Laughing John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #73171 28th May 2011 9:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>