↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > X-eng handbrake?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Verdone

Belgium 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Java Black
X-eng handbrake?
Anyone know if this fits under the new puma?

Thx Verdone
Post #7215 12th Feb 2009 11:01pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Yup - certainly does.

If LR can't sort out my vibrating handbrake then I'm definitely getting one. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #7217 13th Feb 2009 9:40am
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
E-mail Simon at X-eng.. he will tell you for definite,, a top man !!!
see http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-BrakeDef.asp

100% recommended them,, have the brake fitted on both the Hybrid and rangie,, best couple of hundred quid you will spend, certainly if you use offroad, put the brake on, and wander off, you know it will still be their when you come back, California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #7220 13th Feb 2009 9:51am
CapeLandy

South Africa 
does anyone have a picture of it fitted?
I was wondering exactly what it is bolted to and what happens to the drum

Oops - just clicked on the "fitting instuctions" ignore the above Embarassed Puma 110 - gone
Series III 1973 - going strong
Post #7226 13th Feb 2009 12:14pm
TJ101

Not got a picture, but the disk brake kit replaced the drum completely,, California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Post #7227 13th Feb 2009 12:20pm

England 2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Stornoway Grey
I am with the rest of you, if the dealer doesn't fix this problem soon I am going the X-Eng route.

I found my 110 across the yard the other night, obviously as the drum had cooled the brake released.
Post #7250 13th Feb 2009 11:44pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I think im the only one in the world that must hate the X-Eng brake. Each to their own

Oh remember when it is fitted to notify you insurance company you have a brake system modification Mike
Post #7259 14th Feb 2009 9:37am
TJ101

mse wrote:
I think im the only one in the world that must hate the X-Eng brake. Each to their own

?? Why Question California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Post #7260 14th Feb 2009 9:51am
mse

Dont see the point
Not that affective
Seen them Damaged off road
Over priced
Dangerous (how many x brakes fitted against land rovers running drum brakes for the last 40years)
Insurance implications

I could go on Mike
Post #7262 14th Feb 2009 10:35am

England 2016 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Stornoway Grey
MSE

If you are going to inform them about the handbrake, are you also going to let them know about the the aftermarket parts you may have bolted on, larger than standard wheels, winch, chipped engine management etc. Even Land Rover accesories could be seen to modifications that need insurance notification.

What about all of the cars with aftermarket calipers and uprated disks.

I think that the X-Eng handbrake would only be an issue if it contributed to a claim, i.e. if the vehicle rolled when it was supposed to be on the handbrake.

I seem to remember that there was a european test case about fitting aftermarket parts to vehicles and the car still being in warranty as long as the parts were equivalent specification, Surely the X-Eng handbrake fully meets the specification for a Land Rover handbrake.
Post #7263 14th Feb 2009 10:54am
alantd

Sticky wrote:
Surely the X-Eng handbrake fully meets the specification for a Land Rover handbrake.

I doubt it. It would have to fail to hold the vehicle on a moderate slope, fill up with mud and introduce vibration on the transmission when it gets warm! Wink One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
Post #7274 14th Feb 2009 4:50pm
mse

Sticky wrote:
MSE

If you are going to inform them about the handbrake, are you also going to let them know about the the aftermarket parts you may have bolted on, larger than standard wheels, winch, chipped engine management etc. Even Land Rover accesories could be seen to modifications that need insurance notification.

What about all of the cars with aftermarket calipers and uprated disks.

I think that the X-Eng handbrake would only be an issue if it contributed to a claim, i.e. if the vehicle rolled when it was supposed to be on the handbrake.

I seem to remember that there was a european test case about fitting aftermarket parts to vehicles and the car still being in warranty as long as the parts were equivalent specification, Surely the X-Eng handbrake fully meets the specification for a Land Rover handbrake.

Actually Yes Thumbs Up

I assume you are? you really shouldnt not tell them with all these things.

There are some exceptions; accesories are different to modifications. Tyres tread or make dont apply aslong as they approved sizes

Land Rover fitted parts dont apply (so all the things the dealer fitted dont apply) thats because mainly its on the build spec.

But yes you must inform them of anything that affects or changes, drive train, engine, brakes etc without question

Actually all the things on mine, dealer fitted or not are listed - that way i get like for like on replacement Thumbs Up even things they dont want to know. But also they are aware just in case

Quote:
Surely the X-Eng handbrake fully meets the specification for a Land Rover handbrake

Technically it wont and it wont be an approved braking device and wont be tested...more important on a new car, but look at the recent case on different brakes - i wouldnt risk it on older cars.

Also there are 2 comments on the mud in the brake drum...a mechanic firend once drilled a small drain point in the drum as the series had - that worked.
On the disco, this has never been needed in all its off road work and the handbrake works. The V8 90 was so good the brake would stick on solid! Mike
Post #7279 14th Feb 2009 6:34pm
TJ101

Not going to argue the case, bar "Not that affective "

I would not trust any of my current or previous Landrover left on the drum brake,
The disk brake has proved many time to be far more efficient and reliable

Have been guiding a group offroad today,,had have left the 90 sat on a large slope, on the X-Brake

PS,, why is it, that everyone i can think of who do challenge events etc, use one !! Question California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Post #7282 14th Feb 2009 7:09pm
walfy

I have 1 on my challenge truck. It holds my 90 at all sorts of strange angles. I don't see that it would be less effective than a standard drum 110 D250 SE HT
110 USW SOLD
RRE HSE Dynamic Gone, wife killed it
VOLVO XC60 R Dynamic with some toys

Polaris RZR 900XP SOLD
Post #7283 14th Feb 2009 7:23pm
alantd

Interesting comments.

MSE - I understand what you're saying - especially WRT declaring non-LR parts. Also, recent braking-related cases have been horrific but they were all centred around primary brakes that weren't road-worthy.

The X-brake is a static device. As mentioned above, if the LR rolled off down a hill and caused an accident then there would be a case to answer but even then; the body of evidence for those that have fitted and used the X-brake for years would be be pretty compelling when it came to a legal battle (although I take your point that LR will exclude it from the warranty).

In fact, a more worrying and likely scenario is that they exclude all rear drive-train issues from the warranty (diffs, transfer box, props...) on the grounds that the fitting of the X-brake had interfered with their "highly tuned and calibrated" components down stream. I guess that's why we need to inform them.

WRT performance: you're the first person that I've come across that has heard of the X-brake not functioning in the field. I've met a lot of people who have used theirs extensively and have nothing but praise for it. As for the standard one, my guide at a recent Land Rover Experience day told me never to rely on it as they were prone to failure especially after off-roading. I've not had mine fail but it has never filled me with confidence.

As I say - all interesting points. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
Post #7285 14th Feb 2009 8:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>