↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > With or without ABS/TC
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
devnull

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
With or without ABS/TC
What are your opinions on ABS/TC system on MY11 Defenders. I’m just before making my decision and I have two 110SW to choose from, one with and another without ABS/TC.
Defender is going to be used for long family trips, MT tires most of the year rest on Winter tires. Terrain mostly sand and mud/clay.

My current experience is that ABS do it's job only on flat tarmac, but it’s based on RRC Smile. TC had no impact on the overall performance in any conditions but it was a V8.

My biggest concern is that these new TC systems work fine when car is moving but won’t let you out when you stuck.

peter
Post #71967 21st May 2011 2:57pm
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
Had the same to decide on mine and went for ABS/ETC due to the performance on the road. The Defender is not the best to brake and ABS does help towing on the road. There are some descriptions on the net how to make the ETC switchable, so you could modify to be able to switch off offroads.
Post #71969 21st May 2011 3:13pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
How do you mean "wont let you out when stuck" ? the TC works by sensing which wheels don't have traction. the brake is applied to the slipping wheel and let on and off until it has traction again, but the bottom line is that if there is no traction at all (wet muddy hill on AT tyres for example) all the wheels will just spin assuming you have the CDL engaged.

TC is quite handy actually, but it's not a deal breaker for me at all. And ABS just gives you more room to manoevre and a bit more thinking time, that's all. Mine has it but I'm not bothered about it at all. It's only come on once, when a guy came straight out of a side road in front of me.
Post #71973 21st May 2011 3:48pm
devnull

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
BigMike wrote:
.... the bottom line is that if there is no traction at all (wet muddy hill on AT tyres for example) all the wheels will just spin assuming you have the CDL engaged ....

That’s what I meant, the problem is that TC will break these wheels not allowing them to spin and clean.

NinetyTD4 are the workarounds as straight forward as on Td5?
Post #71996 21st May 2011 6:30pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
BigMike wrote:
.......................... . And ABS just gives you more room to manoevre and a bit more thinking time, that's all. Mine has it but I'm not bothered about it at all. It's only come on once, when a guy came straight out of a side road in front of me.

i think that's the point. you don't need it until you really need it - if you see what i mean.... BM52
Post #72004 21st May 2011 6:54pm
BigMike

United Kingdom 
I do, but I didnt "need" it. to be honest I've found in the past that all it does is increase braking distance. I woulndt be bothered if I didnt have it.
Post #72015 21st May 2011 7:22pm
Landie Boy

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I would get it, its good to have it as a backup Smile

Jack
Post #72019 21st May 2011 7:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fox

United Kingdom 
I'd get it.

ABS on the road can be handy in a Defender. May one day be the difference between stopping in time or not...
TC offroad I found very useful, particularly where speeds are low and there is a risk of getting cross-axled.
Post #72044 21st May 2011 10:40pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
BigMike wrote:
I do, but I didnt "need" it. to be honest I've found in the past that all it does is increase braking distance. I woulndt be bothered if I didnt have it.

know what you mean. had one or two hard stops where i thought it would stop quicker if the tyres bit in rather than keep turning.

i'm also not 100% ABS is that good on compacted snow...........mind you there have been times when i was really glad for having ABS. suppose it just depends on each circumstance Confused BM52
Post #72056 22nd May 2011 12:13am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
There are quite a few videos on u/tube for defenders with TC and you can clearly see it working, I watched these and that was what made me want it. The alternative is locking diffs you pays your money and makes your choice. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #72060 22nd May 2011 5:40am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
There have been discussions on here before about this.

My view is you should have it.

Ignore off road for the moment - its a massive ON ROAD safety feature...not to rely on but to help, ive in the past cited a journey i had on the way back days/or hours i forget after getting the defender. A tractor pulled out of a side road and everything from driver skill to electronic aids came into play to avoid it!

Off Road again...if you now how to use it, it is good - not as good as locking diffs, but most of the time TC will be in use in situations you wouldnt use locking diffs anyway.

If you can afford it - get it, better than wanting it and feeling cheated! Mike
Post #72068 22nd May 2011 8:32am
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
I didn't bother with ABS/TC when I ordered mine as all the info I had on Defenders pointed towards it not being necessary but now I'm not so sure Shocked

For what its worth I have always thought that it is more important to have the best tyres you can afford with decent tread depth and inflated to the correct pressures. Statistically ignoring this is a major cause of accidents when sudden braking is required - not lack of ABS

I also think that a lot of people regard ABS as a magic wand that will enable them to drive with less care and attention and additionally manufacturers will always respond to the security/peace of mind instinct in most of us

But of course its just the thought of that one occasion in maybe a lifetime where they will be a lifesaver even though dealers and other owners have told me how hard it is to lock the wheels of a Defender compared to other cars

well, the dealer only ordered it on Friday so it won't be too late to change my mind and add it to the list
Post #72075 22nd May 2011 9:10am
RED-DOT

Scotland 
I sailed through a red light with my new non ABS TD5 and 265 BFG All-Terrains... NEVER again. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #72077 22nd May 2011 9:16am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
This is where toyota got it right and landrover didnt. Landcruisers have CDL, front and rear fully locking diffs. LR should have introduced this years ago. There is no contest between a locker and TC. Yes, TC can be useful on gravel and rock climbs, but when there is little traction plus articulation, locking diffs win by a country mile.
Post #72082 22nd May 2011 9:35am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I discussed ABS and TC with my dealer at some length when planning my 110, in the end I decided to have it, in part for the peace of mind and in part cos every little helps when carting other folks vehicles around/doing a lot of towing. Apparently Landrover *want* people to have it which is why its heavily discounted at the moment, in the price of a vehicle its pin money really. I think that County and XS models may have it as standard anyway, but this may vary between markets. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #72087 22nd May 2011 9:53am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>