↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > For Sale & Wanted > [Wanted] ROLL CAGE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Thon

United Kingdom 
Padding is on order. I ran out of time to fit it before I had to leave the UK for the summer. Baby is in a Recaro car seat well away from the tubes, dog is in his own crash-tested palace (transK9).

The standard interior is hardly crash-worthy even before the tubes go in though ...
Post #657881 17th Oct 2017 3:38pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
BLACK LAB wrote:
To be honest I quite like the rugged look of the full external roll cage - I'm not too fussed about the internal ones .

I've got a P&P full external on my 110, and I wish I had a camel type like Thon... full external looks too "in your face" now (to me anyway)
Post #657888 17th Oct 2017 4:17pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
That's good to know! I was considering doing it at home in the garage, while I do have quite a lot of space there is very little height and space on one side. Mates have a work shop and better cutting tools than I have available plus much more space so should be easier to do there. Not to mention two extra pairs of hands to help!

I pestered SD for about 6 months to get them to fit mine, basically they are fully booked/not accepting new work for the next year at least!
Post #657889 17th Oct 2017 4:18pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
diesel_jim wrote:
BLACK LAB wrote:
To be honest I quite like the rugged look of the full external roll cage - I'm not too fussed about the internal ones .

I've got a P&P full external on my 110, and I wish I had a camel type like Thon... full external looks too "in your face" now (to me anyway)

That was my feeling too, hence the choice. It has plenty of disadvantages but I prefer the understated nature of this one, and fitting it was a purely practical modification. I also have a soft spot for the old Camel Trophy 110s from when the Ives brothers won, which use a similar internal / external design.
Post #657898 17th Oct 2017 5:05pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
bankz5152 wrote:
That's good to know! I was considering doing it at home in the garage, while I do have quite a lot of space there is very little height and space on one side. Mates have a work shop and better cutting tools than I have available plus much more space so should be easier to do there. Not to mention two extra pairs of hands to help!

I pestered SD for about 6 months to get them to fit mine, basically they are fully booked/not accepting new work for the next year at least!

I asked SD too and they had a significant waiting list. The cost was fair though.

Space will be your friend when fitting, and hopefully you're equipped to receive a 150 Kg crate, which is how mine was delivered. Definitely use the workshop if you possibly can, and keep handy some chassis paint / waxoyl / Dinitrol for those areas you cut and drill into, plus any other rusty bits you may come across!
Post #657900 17th Oct 2017 5:10pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Good tip! We will, wont be till next year. Ideally have it delivered straight there!
Post #657905 17th Oct 2017 5:35pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Thon wrote:
I also have a soft spot for the old Camel Trophy 110s from when the Ives brothers won, which use a similar internal / external design.

+1

I think the next defender I build/buy will be a 90, so I'll have a "camel" type cage in that....

Got to get the G I want first though!
Post #657917 17th Oct 2017 6:17pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Thon wrote:
It's all just spanner work, coupled with some panel removal and cutting, stress, trim removal, cutting, adjusting, tears, re-drilling chassis outriggers, more tears and finally a big bill when you lose the will to live.... Laughing

...Probably the mot frustrating was removing the NS outer wing, with the heater intake in the way of half of the bolts.

Pretty accurate Laughing

Managed it by myself in the driveway, but tools were thrown daily. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #657920 17th Oct 2017 6:47pm
tolley

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Do the front cages , offer much protection ?
Post #657924 17th Oct 2017 7:05pm
boode

England 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Rutland Red
tolley - Yes they do

Note two damaged wings and flattened roof - it must have rolled but cabin intact

SD L138/7 internal/external cage

Post #657970 17th Oct 2017 8:51pm
tolley

Shocked your right, they are worth having.
How much are they?
Post #657972 17th Oct 2017 8:56pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
As commented above, a roof rack will not make the lightest difference to the survivability, and in fact makes it more likely that the vehicle will end on its roof in an incident.

Sorry BW but I disagree with you.

When a Defender rolls depending on the severity and number of rolls a GOOD roof rack will make a difference.

Draw a line from front of bonnet to top of the B pillar and that is the zone which will be damaged first. That line goes straight through the head of driver and front passenger.

A good roof rack will help prevent the amount of damage to the window frame.

Yes have been in a 'soft roll' Side, roof, side with a good roof rack on. Damage to windscreen frame minimal as the rack took brunt of the force.

OK in a heavy/multiple roll it might not save the drivers head but a good quality rack will reduce deformation of the passenger cell and every bit helps.

A roof rack is not a subsitute for a roll cage in a major roll.

Brendan
Post #657981 17th Oct 2017 9:21pm
dailysleaze

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
As commented above, a roof rack will not make the lightest difference to the survivability, and in fact makes it more likely that the vehicle will end on its roof in an incident.

Here's a good real world example. Whether the roof rack helped or not is a matter of belief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbZ6Kc7wgYw&t=25m10s
Post #657991 17th Oct 2017 10:05pm
tolley

I like the 50the anniversary defender one's
Post #658025 18th Oct 2017 8:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12