Home > Puma (Tdci) > Latest random fault - this time indicators are sketchy
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Latest random fault - this time indicators are sketchy
Gidday all,

So my 08' 2.4 puma's indicators are a bit random when on - sometimes fine, sometimes always on, sometimes the relay switches really fast, sometimes I see the little trailer dash light come on for an instant.

Hazard lights give similar glitches like random timing and 'always on', plus little trailer light.

Earlier today I installed a compressor so I disconnected according to the WSM to avoid the alarm, and all work was successful otherwise, compressor works fine. I am 99.99% sure I reconnected the chassis earth correctly (which I now use for the compressor GND also).

Two days ago I also installed the compressor dash switch to the main panel in one of the electric window switch spots (I have manual windows) - so the hazard switch was touched, however, the indicators worked fine for the day after that.

Everything appears dry around the relay and fuses and all other functions tested appear to fine.

I'd rather do a little diagnosis before simply swapping the relay (part YWT500050) - any tips?

Any wiring/signal diagrams from people who have gone down this path already? it seems different from the issues related to the hazard light switch I read about... Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #588909 31st Dec 2016 8:08am
dorsetsmith

Post #588910 31st Dec 2016 9:00am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Thanks for that, I found the circuit on page 60:

Click image to enlarge

They've left out internal info on both S121 and J100, what do these parts do? 'S121' gives no hits when searching the WSM or the connector manual - I'm guessing it's the hazard switch in the centre panel, but J100, where and what is that doing?

In general, I find the Defender documents make it impossible to easily cross reference parts not only between documents but internally also.

The manual helpfully states:

Quote:
"A dotted outline indicates that the component identified is not shown in its entirety."

Rolling Eyes

Guess I'll just follow the cable colours to the parts and (hopefully) nut it out from there... Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #589003 31st Dec 2016 6:24pm
dorsetsmith

S121 =

J100 is light on your instrument cluster correction
Post #589008 31st Dec 2016 6:40pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Thanks!

How did you know what J100 was?

So by 'instrument cluster correction' - do you mean a connection to the binnacle?

Question: Are the lights in the binnacle (the driver's 'indicator indicators') fed by the same circuit that the actual indicators are fed by, so that if I see instrument lights I know that the actual indicators should be seeing 12V also?

Meanwhile, after jiggling the cables at the back of the hazard switch (S121) the fault is at least consistent now - everything works as it should but upon standard indicating there is a slight delay to get the indicators started, also the little trailer light icon is on for the duration of this initial delay.

A bit inconclusive..

It would be great to know what is meant to be happening inside S121 and J100, it's a bit hard to nut out at first and second glances. S121 in particular seems to tie quite a bit of functionality together.

Oh and happy new year - when it gets around to you (it's 7:48AM on the 1st here and I'm at work Wink ) Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #589046 31st Dec 2016 7:47pm
dorsetsmith

So by 'instrument cluster correction' - do you mean a connection to the binnacle? Yes, bad English i no phone in dark in field waiting parts turn-up. to fix generator that problem sorted now, back on standby
Post #589055 31st Dec 2016 8:06pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Both at work Thumbs Up

I'm on tech standby for a large venue, if everything is set up well (as it appears to be) then I've got nothing to do but look at Defender manuals Laughing Whistle Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #589066 31st Dec 2016 8:20pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
agentmulder wrote:

Meanwhile, after jiggling the cables at the back of the hazard switch (S121) the fault is at least consistent now - everything works as it should but upon standard indicating there is a slight delay to get the indicators started, also the little trailer light icon is on for the duration of this initial delay.

Since discovered this is normal! Never noticed it before Embarassed

Must have bumped the hazard switch then, and bumping it again fixed it - very 'defender' - happy happy Rolling Eyes Laughing Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #589122 1st Jan 2017 6:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1