↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > turbo whistle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
spudfan

Ireland 
Think I have an empty space there too. Noticed it before. I'd go out and check but the Mrs has absconded with it-again. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #39230 27th Aug 2010 4:55pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have eventually found the right page in Microcat for the heatshield and brackets - which appears to indicate that there should be an M8x20 setscrew in the hole.

Hopefully next week I will get time to replace my suspect blowing gasket and investigate if the hole in the manifold is actually tapped M8.
Post #39268 28th Aug 2010 3:27pm
blackwolf

Checked out my leak, and it looks as though it is a blow from the front branch of the exhaust manifold rather than the manifold/turbo joint - both setscrews on the front branch were significantly loose and could be tightened one full turn before a spanner was needed. Unfortunately I think the gasket is damaged and it was one gasket I didn't have to hand, but I will try to get one tomorrow.

There definitely should be an M8x20 setscrew in the rear top hole in the manifold securing the rear end of the heatshield bracket and the turbo/cat bracket to the manifold, and the manifold is tapped M8 to suit. On mine, there are witness marks indicating prolonged relative movement of the brackets despite eveything else being tight.

Finally a question: the WSM says that the cat/turbo joint studs and nuts must be renewed if the turbo is removed from the cat. The studs have male Torx forms on the end, but it is not clear if they screw up or down to come out - does anyone know? Also the local friendly main dealer's parts department says that the replacements are not studs but bolts (or more probably setscrews) but doesn't have any in stock and also tells me that they're £12 each! Anyone know if there's been a change to this part? Is it a stud or a screw?

Thanks!
Post #39478 31st Aug 2010 11:26pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
blackwolf wrote:
Finally a question: the WSM says that the cat/turbo joint studs and nuts must be renewed if the turbo is removed from the cat. The studs have male Torx forms on the end, but it is not clear if they screw up or down to come out - does anyone know?

They screw out from the underside of the car in an anticlockwise direction

blackwolf wrote:

Also the local friendly main dealer's parts department says that the replacements are not studs but bolts (or more probably setscrews) but doesn't have any in stock and also tells me that they're £12 each! Anyone know if there's been a change to this part? Is it a stud or a screw?

I replaced mine with standard 8.8HT sets from my local hardwear supplier (10p each) and had no issues. Well apart from it being a bit more awkward to reassemble, line everything up and then get the bolt into position. It was a lot easier with the studs. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #39484 1st Sep 2010 8:20am
blackwolf

AndrewS wrote:

They screw out from the underside of the car in an anticlockwise direction

I replaced mine with standard 8.8HT sets from my local hardwear supplier (10p each) and had no issues. Well apart from it being a bit more awkward to reassemble, line everything up and then get the bolt into position. It was a lot easier with the studs.

Andrew, very many thanks, most useful info. When you say that you used standard grade 8.8 setscrews, do you mean that you used them instead of the stud and nut (ie screwed them from above into the threaded cat flange), or screwed them from below through the cat flange and then used nuts on top, or drilled out the thread in the cat flange and used them with nuts?

I suspect the first option - I can't see any reason not to do it this way.

I hope to be able to replace the manifold gasket without disturbing the cat and turbo, simply by freeing off the brackets and pulling the assembly away from the head, but we'll have to see. Would you believe that the main dealer doesn't keep manifold gaskets in stock, so I now have to wait for one to come in!

Thanks
Post #39522 1st Sep 2010 1:37pm
Okan

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hi all!

I just disassembled my turbo because it was whistling. One of the six crew that retain the two parts of the turbo was in bad condition. I need to change it. Do you know if this screw are spacial or cooper covered for heating or if it is normal screw? Because in the 2.4tdci manual workshop you cannot find the ref part because the turbo is one part itself.

Thanks for help

best regards
Post #580438 25th Nov 2016 5:25pm
Okan

Switzerland 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hi!

Does someone know the ref part of those two cooper washers?

They are parts of the turbocharger oil feed pipe.

Thanks for help

Click image to enlarge
Post #580858 27th Nov 2016 8:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12