↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Your advice please. First time home owner buying a kitchen.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Guy

United Kingdom 
Your advice please. First time home owner buying a kitchen.
Hi everyone. Absolutely nothing to do with the green oval, but I know there is a huge range of knowledge and experience amongst us.

So my wife and I are in the process of buying our first house at the moment. Before we move in we plan to commission a builder to knock the fairly small kitchen through into the dining room to make a good size open plan kitchen diner. We will then have it all refitted.

Now, I have a few quid set aside for this, but can't afford the earth. Here is the question, where should I buy the kitchen from ? I have read loads of advice to avoid the big chains like B&Q and Wickes because the cabinets in particular are not long lasting and also that the fitters are not always very highly qualified. Any advice where to look folks? As I say, my budget is finite but my mantra has always been "buy cheap, buy twice".

Yours hopefully, Guy.

P.S. The house is in Bourne in Lincolnshire if that helps. 👍 
DINGO - '99 Discovery 2 V8 with 300Tdi transplant, chawton white. Repatriated from Australia and expedition prepped.
**FOR SALE**
SHARKY - '06 Discovery 3 HSE Auto, bonatti grey. SOLD.
GEORGE - '99 Discovery 1 300Tdi Auto, willow green. Daily driver, travel companion, part of the family! SOLD.
PINGU - '96 Defender 110 300Tdi station wagon. SOLD.

Dream LR - 130 pop top station wagon camper.
Post #556338 16th Aug 2016 6:23am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
recently brought one from Howden's not cheap but less than B and Q and Wicks quoted, however I'm told you can get it cheaper if you know someone with a trade account. good quality but you also need a good fitter which can be even harder to find. Also spot on quality for mass produced DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #556339 16th Aug 2016 6:29am
Guy

United Kingdom 
Thanks LR90! 
DINGO - '99 Discovery 2 V8 with 300Tdi transplant, chawton white. Repatriated from Australia and expedition prepped.
**FOR SALE**
GEORGE - '99 Discovery 1 300Tdi Auto, willow green. Daily driver, travel companion, part of the family! SOLD.

Post #556341 16th Aug 2016 6:35am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Really depends on the style, your budget and most importantly how hands-on you want to get.

In 2006 I fitted an idea kitchen, lots of parts, about 20 units all together, sinks, bit of plumbing and in those days a bit of leccy... Still looking good now albeit the new home owners are having the benefits. The ikea units are well made, not "smallbone" quality but very good and you can add, swap bits as your design changes

It's not rocket science, just take your time with the design and assembly.. Save a fortune Thumbs Up
Post #556342 16th Aug 2016 6:39am
Guy

United Kingdom 
Cheers BPMan. Sadly my DIY abilities make Frank Spencer look like McGyver, but I take your point! I plan to landscape the garden and fit out the garage but won't tackle the kitchen!

Plus we currently live 2 1/2 hours away near Aylesbury and we want to remodel before moving out of our rental property.

All advice appreciated and very welcome though Thumbs Up 
**FOR SALE**

Post #556343 16th Aug 2016 6:48am
Andrew james

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Indus Silver
+1 for Howdens . Good advice regarding trade account, and you may only be able to buy using a trade account.They usually have sales in the autumn where you'll save a load. Ask the sales team when the sales start.
Post #556347 16th Aug 2016 7:45am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
+2 for Howdens, but you really need to find a good kitchen fitter with an account. A lot of these trade companies are the same. Unless you have an account and get the 'normal' discount, they become prohibitively expensive. Our bathroom came from Jewsons. Nice kit and amazingly expensive until our Plumber bought it and used his discount.

Don't underestimate the power of Ikea. My Sister and Brother-in-law quickly fitted one as a stop gap in a new house they had moved in to. Really nice quality and ten years latter, still looks pretty good. And the stop gap kitchen remains.

Don't get too bothered about quality. Unless you get a high end kitchen, the carcasses are all covered particle board in most cases held together with the same type of fixings. The doors and the worktop are the making or breaking of a kitchen. Possibly better to spend a few more quid on a nice worktop?

If you have absolutely no DIY skill, perhaps better to seek a fitter and ask what they like to fit. Would probably be a good guide.
Post #556349 16th Aug 2016 8:07am
Leviathan

United Kingdom 
I can recommend ikea. We've had ours in for 12 years and its worn well.

Where you need to spend money on is the worktops. Badly fitted or cheap worktops show up big time. Get them properly mitred at the joints etc.

Also spend some time thinking about layout - eg if your having a dishwasher, place it near the sink drainer and the cupboard where the clean crockery will be stored.

Good kitchen fitters are skilled people.
Post #556355 16th Aug 2016 8:23am
Fellrunner

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Whatever you do, don't take your better half to a Siematic showroom Big Cry
Post #556356 16th Aug 2016 8:28am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Come on Fellrunner, spill the beans. How much damage was done??
Post #556358 16th Aug 2016 8:34am
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
In my experience, while you may buy a kitchen to last for years fashions change and that kitchen looks dated very soon.

Our first kitchen was made of solid oak doors and heavy duty carcasses, but my wife wanted something more modern...so it got changed. Another ten years later the same thing happened... Sad

My point is, don't go overboard for high quality, it doesn't need to last forever just a few years... Laughing

Cheers

Simon
Post #556359 16th Aug 2016 8:34am
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I work for the buying team of a house builders and kitchens are the one area none of us ever want to get involved in as they are complicated to get right.

First thing I mirror Leviathan's comments about think about your layout. Don't try and cram units in just to get the most cupboard space as you risk the chance of ending up with cupboards you cant open. Sounds daft I know but seen it happen loads.

Most of the carcasses, door fronts and worktops come from the same half dozen manufacturers, so don't get suckered in if someone's telling you its exclusive to them. Someone else will have one very much the same.

Get a design done professionally, benchmarx, howdens and magnet offer a design service at the property. They might charge you a small fee but it will give you an idea.

Get the quote for the style you like and play them off against each other. Howdens are effectively franchises so will happily under-cut each other all day long to get the sale. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #556362 16th Aug 2016 8:45am
Oakseywick

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
Another vote for howdens but your builder will need to get it for you as they are trade only but good planning service and advice offered by them. Just make sure. You building is a competent kitchen fitter to make sure it is a good job.
Post #556365 16th Aug 2016 8:59am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Howdens too. The fitter makes the difference.
Post #556367 16th Aug 2016 9:07am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I had a Howdens kitchen fitted into my Dads house several years ago, at the time I think they had 3 ranges lower mid and higher price. I went for the mid priced kitchen but had a joiner mate fit it. The price is not the main factor; a cheap kitchen fitted by a good fitter can be better then a dear kitchen fitted by a cowboy. We are in the throws of sorting out a new kitchen and have let SWMBO have carte blanche, Big Cry
Post #556371 16th Aug 2016 9:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>