↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Homebrew roll cages? discuss! :)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Homebrew roll cages? discuss! :)
Gidday chaps 'n' chappesses.

Whenever a defender catches my eye when I'm looking at them online, I've noted a common denominator is that they're (mostly) kitted out with roll cages.

I'm keen to try to build my own, pipe bender and TIG will become mandatory purchases which I'm quietly happy about as if I can convince both myself and significant other that the price of safety amounts to the same, then I'm good to go with this and a bunch of other projects Mr. Green

This style here seems pretty archetypical on a 110:

Click image to enlarge

... and would likely form the blueprint for my own design.

What I'm interested in knowing about is how the connections to the chassis are made solid. I can see how the external cage connects to the internal parts and kind of sandwiches the body between the appropriately curved mounting plates. But how do the internal sections then connect to the chassis ?

Googling using the term 'internal' gives me results for internal cages, which is not what I'm after - I like external as it can serve dual purpose as a rack and for mounting lights etc.

This image shows a similar style of cage:

The parts I refer to are the smaller parts in each bottom corner. I see also an internal cage arch in line with the b-pillar, which I assume must be required for full integrity, I'd be interested to see what it mounts to and how much body work/removal is usually required also.

Also what section pipe is used? Diameter, wall thickness? material?

Welding solidness vs. bolted connection ease?

Pipe T and cross connectors, how, where, what?

I cant make it un-safer can I?

Discussion appreciated Thumbs Up Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #555682 13th Aug 2016 2:57am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
There are quite a few discussions over on lr4x4. The main set of guidelines are the "Blue book" (?) from the MSA. Which details quite thoroughly how many bends and welds should be made and where. The single biggest factor will be in the strength of the welds. Another useful resource would be pirate4x4.com where the chaps who built Ultra4 vehicles hang out, those designs take some serious impacts.

One point of nite I was initially surprised at was that they don't typically allow aluminium cages but that's because they tend not to give. I.e. you tend to have a very strong cage but if it does go it goes in a big way, whereas steel will more typically deform first. Aside from the cost advantage.

With regards to material thickness etc. you can trade off again, the forums are a useful overview but I'd read the book as the definitive answer. Whilst you may not be competing in it they'll have done their research.

From what I've read (and I'm by no means an expert) welded connections are preferred, as done right, they'll be the same strength as the material. Internal cages I've seen involve drilling through the tubs and bolting onto the chassis. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #555691 13th Aug 2016 6:55am
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I've built an MSA cage before now, when I built my 80" trialler (back in the early 90's! . It's not easy, I gave up on the front and rear hoop, as I wanted it perfect, I ended up going to see a certain Drew Bowler (when he just made Comp and Trial motors) and bought front and rear hoops from him and built the rest onto it.
I'd recommend buying a tool to cut the fish mouths out as well.

Buy the time you've bought all the quality gear and tubing to build one, maybe a forklift to lift it over your truck once built, you could easily have bought a Safety Devices cage...just saying Wink
Post #555694 13th Aug 2016 7:29am
dantastic

United Kingdom 
Unless you get a mandrel bender (very expensive) those bends are very difficult to get 100% right. Good enough for a pure offroader but you're doing it on a shiney. Not to mention that the CDS pipe you will be using is a good bit more expensive than gunbarrel so you probably can't just keep trying til you get it right.

Have a look here for components. They will sell every component individually.
http://www.whitbread-offroad.co.uk/flat_pack.php
Post #555697 13th Aug 2016 8:16am
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
The roll cage you picture is basically a 'poser' device.
A 'proper' roll cage woul be almost all welded and contain at least one diagonal member.
Borrow a copy of an ALRC Green Book (or join an ALRC Club) which will give you competition spec. cage designs for Land Rovers.
Or.....
http://www.land-rover-parts-shop.com/en/ui...-cages.php 
Post #555716 13th Aug 2016 11:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Yeah, I agree, I don't understand how a connection that doesn't involve big bolts on mating plates would really hold up to the purpose...

I assumed welds were the go.

I'm happy with a cross brace at the c-pillar, even though I'm firmly in the 'poser' camp I figure I may as well do it correctly. They'd serve well as internal mounting for jacks, extinguishers etc. - half way to a dog barrier too. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #555730 13th Aug 2016 12:58pm
Thon

United Kingdom 
Laurie wrote:
A 'proper' roll cage woul be almost all welded and contain at least one diagonal member.
Borrow a copy of an ALRC Green Book (or join an ALRC Club) which will give you competition spec. cage designs for Land Rovers.
Or.....

IIRC the ALRC cage specs are significantly different to the MSA versions - from memory ALRC are built stiffer / stronger / more sturdy mountings in order to survive more frequent rolls (such as you would expect from a CCV trialer) without needing repair.

The MSA versions (such as those supplied by Safety Devices) are not necessarily ALRC compliant and rely more on some level of deformation to absorb some of the impact without adversely affecting passenger safety, but would very likely need replacement.

Personally I am lining up the updated Camel Trophy spec internal/external version to fit this winter. I don't like external cages because to me they shout "let's off road!" in a kind of fast show way ... but as always, each to their own as I can also see external has lots of plusses too.

A "poser" version seems entirely worthless to me, but again, each to his own.
Post #555747 13th Aug 2016 2:58pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
agentmulder wrote:

I'm happy with a cross brace at the c-pillar, even though I'm firmly in the 'poser' camp I figure I may as well do it correctly. They'd serve well as internal mounting for jacks, extinguishers etc. - half way to a dog barrier too.

I'm glad that someone raised the topic of how pointless a 'cage' without diagonal members is. Furthermore, glad that you'r going that route. A cross bar / diagonal can be made to work in a Defender but I'd suggest trying to get one behind the driver, in the B-pillar position.

I just spent time and money ripping a cage out of another vehicle I own because the previous owner had installed a cosmetic cage into it. Considering the money he spent to do it and I spent ripping it out and replacing it, I spent the entire time wishing it had just been done correctly the first time.
Post #555752 13th Aug 2016 3:36pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 HT Oslo Blue
Thon wrote:
Laurie wrote:
Or.....

IIRC the ALRC cage specs are significantly different to the MSA versions - from memory ALRC are built stiffer / stronger / more sturdy mountings in order to survive more frequent rolls (such as you would expect from a CCV trialer) without needing repair.

The MSA versions (such as those supplied by Safety Devices) are not necessarily ALRC compliant and rely more on some level of deformation to absorb some of the impact without adversely affecting passenger safety, but would very likely need replacement.

Personally I am lining up the updated Camel Trophy spec internal/external version to fit this winter. I don't like external cages because to me they shout "let's off road!" in a kind of fast show way ... but as always, each to their own as I can also see external has lots of plusses too.

A "poser" version seems entirely worthless to me, but again, each to his own.

I'd be wary of too many internal parts as they are just where your head would be in the event of an accident. Plus, if your using your Defender in the lanes, the external protection will help keep the trees away from your soft roof/side panels.

Just my opinion of course, but if you're having a cage for safety you need to think of these things... Thumbs Up

Cheers

Simon
Post #555829 13th Aug 2016 9:41pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Hi guys, thanks for the tips.

I downloaded the 2016 blue book, but I can't search for strings like 'roll cage' on my phone, got a few days of odd hours at work away from home so I'll check it proper tomorrow PM.

I'm actually in NZ, and I'd rate the reasons for wanting one thusly:

- Relative safety in the unlikely event I roll the vehicle. While I'm hardly a madman at the wheel, there are plenty of roadside slopes in the hills round here. On two muddy occasions now I've been one wrong decision away from going down a 's&#t your pants/no thanks!' slope. I've joined a 4WD club to learn driving skills in this regard - i.e. avoidance in the first place...

- In almost equal regard - but safety wins by a nose - I get to buy a nice Miller TIG welder and hone some new skills in welding, mechanical design and fabrication. Thumbs Up

- Cage doubles as roof rack and solid internal mounting for other stuff that is currently only half managed by stuffing under seats etc. Dog

- I'm a poser and I get the look I'm after. Razz

I certainly don't need the style where you roll over and keep going and I'm happy with the idea that it's more sacrificial (it takes the blow instead of my spine Shocked ). Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #555853 13th Aug 2016 11:25pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Bear in mind (especially when the subject of diagonal members is being discussed) that a typical competition cage is designed to allow you to turn the vehicle the right way up again and drive off, whilst a Safety Devices type cage is designed to keep you alive when the vehicle is written off.

There are many people alive today who have emerged from destroyed Landrovers relatively unscathed who would not have done so if it wasn't for an SD type, diagonal-less and bolted-together cage.

Personally I see little point in making my own cage for a standard vehicle when a top-quality, commercial off-the-shelf product is available. As noted above, producing a good result with less than a CNC mandrel bender is very difficult.
Post #556085 14th Aug 2016 10:31pm
George G

United Kingdom 
The Fia Cross Country (Dakar vehicles) regulations are worth a look too. Can be downloaded here:

http://www.fia.com/regulation/category/100

Article 283.

Minimum material requirements are also shown, but basically a 45 or 50 OD CDS with 2.5mm wall. (Sizes and wall change with material properties)

Dont even consider aluminium. A cage is also only as strong as its weakest point, so keep that in mind when you decide where to bolt it to on the vehicle.

If you really want to DIY build yours then find a local tube supplier and talk to them - they will have a few people they know who can bend the tube. You will struggle to do it well by hand. Most suppliers can work with just a length and an angle to make a basic shape. Just add 50mm or so to each tube end to make sure... you can always cut material away.

If you are happy with just an internal then you can get away with only a few bent pieces and buy the rest in straight to keep costs down, otherwise get sketching and measuring.

Many suppliers can laser cut the notches for you on the pieces from 3d cad files now and basically supply you a flatpack kit, which saves loads of time & hastle. So if you do have the luxury of knowing someone with 3D CAD software and some sparw time, then thats another option.

Whichever way you do it, good luck and take your time with the welding and get it right. Thumbs Up
Post #556560 16th Aug 2016 10:49pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
A Defender roof is as strong as a softtop, so I fitted a cage. I have a cage to protect me and the passengers. If I roll I would like to get out off the 90 in a good shape. The state of my 90 is off less importants. It is build from 2 written off 90's anyway. Whistle

I used a package from North off-road. You can get them completely welded or as a package that you have to weld yourself. I welded mine myself, I didn't roll yet so I don't know if my welds were as strong as I hope.
I made some small changes to the North design as I want to be able te take mine off in case I need that.
As I use my 90 off-road and I am not always that carefull I made a cross behind the seats too.
I noticed that the middle hoop off the North cage is placed further to the rear than a lot off other cages. The good thing off that is that the cross fits straight into the middle hoop. So you don't have problems with the front seats.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #556657 17th Aug 2016 12:57pm
dave18

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Portofino Red
My personal opinion is unless your a coded welder or weld that type of material everyday then get someone else to do the work.

Found it interesting how many different styles of cages and prices there is for the fender. and how if your not carefull you could be actually putting your self in more danger. Saw a front hoop that bolted to the roof and then to the outrigger. In roll over that would bend and possibly pin you where as with out it the windscreen frame would shatter and you might be able to get out! I keep looking at cages but have a ribber roof and dont want to get rid of it and need to physically see an internal 110CSW cage before I go and spend the dosh.
Post #556739 17th Aug 2016 7:05pm
Mash

Guernsey 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
Just copy this one Shocked https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302043189945
Not sure how legal the reg cover is? 90 wolf - Jasmin http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic39408.html
90 V8 - Maggie http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic42564.html
110 TD5 - Buggsy http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic59029.html
52HG25 lightweight https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic72342.html
D3 Hse - Fiona
Capri 2l S - Anna

Think I might have a problem............
Post #556792 17th Aug 2016 9:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>