↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > ABS/ Traction Control - was it standard on the Puma 2.4?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Riccarton

Scotland 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Zambezi Silver
Cupboard wrote:
I can see that if you're on the brakes and therefore slowing the spinning wheel then quickly come off them, the spinning wheel will want to accelerate, accelerating requires some force that's not required to accelerate the other side so some torque transfer will happen, but only in the split second over which the free wheel is getting up to speed.

If you expand that theory you'll see how it works. Of course - you could be completely scuppered by a seized caliper Rolling with laughter
Post #550255 21st Jul 2016 5:20pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
Without getting drawn in, left foot braking does work - it was a technique taught in my early days of off roading...now just let the computers do it.

As for the driver aids like ABS, i did think there was a European rule that made it compulsory to fit it, but either way, when i had the puma 90, within 1 day of ownership driving along a country lane and a tractor goes to pull out...classic abs moment, hard brake steer out of the way - it was feet infront of the defender at 40 or 50.

Equally in the 110, ive had TC come on whilst driving, no idea what the issue was but it did its job.

Finally even before the ESP button you could turn it off, without pulling the fuse, i remember doing it in the puma 90, there was a sequence you pressed the brake pedal i recall. Im sure it was even discussed here back in the day Mike
Post #550264 21st Jul 2016 6:00pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Not sure if it's the correct way to think about it but I see each wheel as a circuit, the resistance is the combined effect of the braking force and/or the tangential reaction force on the tyre from the dirt.

Voltage is your right foot, which gets distributed according to the voltage divider circuit/s made by all the different loads.

Relatively low resistance with respect to other resistances = high current! (spinning wheel)

I think the key term is relatively .

Similar stuff going on in hydraulics. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #550313 21st Jul 2016 9:08pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Riccarton wrote:
I think it wise to avoid hard facts

Shocked

Riccarton wrote:

- yes the wheel without traction will continue to "spin" so it isn't a transfer of torque. More of an evening out.

if it's evening it out, it's transferring it.

Riccarton wrote:

Looking at a box sliding down a slope - yes, a stationary object requires more force to overcome the static effect but - - just because a box starts to slide doesn't mean it will acccelerate constantly. Something moving faster generates more friction than something moving slower.

Not according to my maths. F=μF, that is the frictional force is equal to the coefficient of friction multiplied by the force between the two objects, either a box on a slope or the caliper on the disk. The μ for static is higher than it is for kinetic - that's not me saying that, that's people that know more than me: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/frict2.html

Riccarton wrote:

I think it'd be wise to go and try the cross-axle example then not worry about the science - just accept it Thumbs Up Very Happy Very Happy Thumbs Up

Maybe. I just don't like scenarios I don't understand. I'm a cautious skeptic! Laughing
Post #550352 22nd Jul 2016 7:48am
Riccarton

Scotland 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Zambezi Silver
This is sooo funny Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up Basically, there is something that works and you're trying to disprove it with science Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Anyway, clearly I'm crap at explaining things so I'm going to leave you with this.

The way a conventional diff works means that if one wheel spins while the other doesn't then it spins at twice the speed. Therefore, you are actually quite correct in that there is a sort of torque transfer going on. Therefore if equal braking force is applied to both wheel the one spinning will be affected more than the one that isn't.

Incidentally, if you ever get the chance to go on a proper LR off-road day (not the type Ewoks go on Whistle ) they'll teach you to do this - right after the instruction about your thumbs Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #550507 22nd Jul 2016 8:36pm
gabe3105

United Kingdom 
Thread resurrection -

If a base spec vehicle has traction control it has to have ABS. But if a vehicle is advertised as having ABS, will it definitely have traction control too? (ie was it possible to spec a truck with ABS but not TC?)
Post #612817 28th Mar 2017 10:53am
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Since you put it in bold I cant say for %100, but I think it is very unlikely that ABS and TC aren't always a combo on any puma. Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #613185 29th Mar 2017 11:41pm
gabe3105

United Kingdom 
Thanks, they were my thoughts too, but you never know!
Post #613228 30th Mar 2017 10:12am
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
For the puma at least then yes if it has ABS then ETC comes as part of the package. The only exception I can think of is the Discovery (1995 - 1998) and Range rover classic 1994-ish where the LSE and other Air sprung models had ETC fitted to the rear, where as the rest ABS was just purely that.

Defender in TD5 onwards the optional ABS came with ETC
Post #613258 30th Mar 2017 12:03pm
gabe3105

United Kingdom 
Great, thanks for the confirmation Thumbs Up
Post #613260 30th Mar 2017 12:16pm
zsd-puma

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
My 2010 Brochure confirms it.

ABS Comes with Traction control.

ABS/TC Standard on XS models, optional extra on everything else.

Back to the original post.
Quote:
Apart from taking it out for a 'scientific' skid or through some cross-axle weirdness in the mud how can I find out if I have it or not?

The ABS light on the dash will come on when you start up and go out once you get above 5 kmh. So if you have the light come on at start up, you have both ABS and TC fitted.
Post #613317 30th Mar 2017 4:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234