↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Glowing sidelights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Wildbill

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Glowing sidelights
Hi, my sidelights on my puma 110 are glowing faintly once turned off and the keys are still in the ignition, position 2 I think? (When the radio is still on, but engine off) But once I take the keys out, they turn off completely, electrics are not my strong point. Also the dash and switch lights glow faintly too. Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers
Post #486699 29th Dec 2015 8:40pm
Wildbill

Problem solved, seems to be the led bulbs in the sidelights and number plate light. I have recently changed my number plate light to LEDs and after that they have glowed when keys are in the ignition. When I take them out all lights go completely out. Still don't understand, but it's not a massive issue, when I took a led bulb out of the sidelight and replaced with a normal bulb all went out???? Electric aren't my strong point.
Cheers
Post #499494 2nd Feb 2016 12:27pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
It will be a bit of leakage current through the solid state switches that I guess the newer defenders use. When you use a transistor or similar, there is always a tiny amount of leakage when "off". This is either bad luck or by design for alarm/bulb failure detection purposes.

Either way, the tiny leakage current is enough to light an led but not enough to light a filament bulb
Post #499530 2nd Feb 2016 2:38pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
In most scenarios I'd agree with miker, except there aren't any solid state switches in the sidelight circuit as far as I'm aware.
It does sound like leakage though which is weird.
You're not using a dimming DRL controller or something are you?

Incidentally LED bulbs in "normal" fittings are illegal...
Post #499582 2nd Feb 2016 5:05pm
Wildbill

No everything is all standard, haven't changed any of the wiring or switches at all, apart from like I say change the number plate light.
Post #499746 2nd Feb 2016 11:48pm
Wildbill

Hi, I am still having issues with my sidelights!!!! I have replaced all the standard lights with le perei rear lights and JW speaker front lights and an LED number plate light. When I turn the ignition to I, so the radio comes on, so do the side lights. Now they are LED's they are at pretty much full brightness when they were incandescent they were dull, just glowing.when the ignition is off and keys are out all is off, so not really worried just driving me mad. I'm thinking that they are piggybacking some power from somepart of the ignition but where!?!?! If I disconnect the switch they still stay on. If anyone can help I would much appreciate it as it's driving me mad everyone telling me my lights are on when I'm shoeing their horse!!!!
Post #545287 2nd Jul 2016 11:05am
Cupboard

If it was mine I'd pull the fuses out one at a time and see what happens.
There's obviously something not right somewhere.

Edit to add: Looking back at your first post you had issues with your towing electric chaffing. Is that definitely 100% fixed? The reason I ask is that if you've got 13 pin electrics there's an ignition live in there and there's a sidelight circuit in there, so if it isn't 100% then that might be your issue... If I remember correctly there's a relay in the battery box for it.

Also you didn't go on a Defender tour in January did you? Because I went round with a chap that had a dark 2011USW and was a farrier.
Post #545331 2nd Jul 2016 3:16pm
Wildbill

That was me!!!!! Being a bit OCD over the amount of rivets in the rear capping!!!! How you doing, that was a great day, were you with your dad?

I hate electrics, but I have found that if I pull the clock illumination, dash illumination and speed transducer fuse, the side light go out but the clock illumination gets brighter!?!?!?
Post #545373 2nd Jul 2016 6:03pm
Cupboard

That's the one Thumbs Up I'd never counted the number of rivets before that day, but it's turned to a bit of a thing now if I'm ever with my dad!

Lights, weird. Something's not right Rolling with laughter

From the wiring diagram, panel lighting is fed from header K109 which has a red and orange cable from the 10A fuse 20 which is fed by a red cable from the lighting switch S100. The "Cigar lighter-Front" and "Clock-Analogue" share a red and orange cable. By the looks of things red and orange cabling is all together on the sidelight circuit, because "Lamp-Side-Front-LH" is also on a red and orange cable, fed from the same S100 switch but via fuse 19.

Could you trying pulling fuse 18 and 19, one then the other? If I'm correct then one of them will make one side go out and the other will make the other side go out. The wiring diagram seems to say that 18, 19 and 20 are all common on the feed side of the fuse board.

It sounds like there's a slight short somewhere between an ignition live and the dash lighting circuitry. Have you added anything wiring wise? Anything non-standard?
Post #545422 2nd Jul 2016 8:15pm
Wildbill

That cracks me up that you now count the rivets!!!!

Right I have pulled 18 and the sidelight warning light goes out as well as the left side, but the right hand sidelights are still on. When I pull 19, the right side goes out and the left side stays on but the warning light stays on too?!?!?

I really appreciate your time, you can imagine that if being short changed on rivets drove me mad, this really is!!!!!! Rolling with laughter Wink

Oh but when I turn the headlight adjuster from 1 back to 0 the dashlights flicker if that helps!?!?!?!
Post #545545 3rd Jul 2016 8:41am
Wildbill

Sorry I meant to say, all standard which is even more annoying!!!!
Post #545549 3rd Jul 2016 8:53am
Cupboard

Right, that's exactly what I expected would happen. Something ignition live is backfeeding the sidelight circuit.

If you can read a circuit diagram download it (dgardel has posted it on the forum) and have a rummage through. It's not that complicated once you get your head round it.

The ignition switch "Aux" contacts turn on a white and orange cable that feeds the "Central Junction Box".

Fuse 43 then feeds a purple and green cable for the lighter socket.
Fuse 44 is a white and orange cable (but narrower than the main one) which is for the "Radio/cassette player" in the "Information and entertainment system". Seriously. There's also a purple and brown one which is the permanent feed, but seeing as you're not having problems with the ignition off that's likely to be OK.
Fuse 45 is orange for the blower motor (does anything change if you play with the different fan speeds? That could explain why it isn't full on or full off...) - now the motor is low side switched so it's always got a nominal 12V feed then different resistors are switched in the negative side to control the speed. The link between the motor and the resistor pack is brown and orange.

Click image to enlarge

Step one is to remove each of those fuses in turn and see which one stops your sidelight issue, which I hope it will. Then sadly I think you need to take the centre of your dash out and have a bit of a poke about, it's just a couple of Torx screws and a bit of a wiggle.

If pulling those doesn't stop the issue, then it's presumably the feed to the fuse board.

Hopefully that will help Smile
Post #545686 3rd Jul 2016 5:37pm
Wildbill

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
All sorted, thank you so much!!!!!

Right so I pulled the fuses and pulled the radio ignition feed fuse and all went out, so started splitting the radio wiring and traced it back to the head unit which is a Sony head unit. Took that all apart after seeing that when I turn the radio off so it just has the time, so too do the side lights. Messed about with the head unit, put it back and it was still doing it. Then I suddenly thought about the illumination wire (red and orange) which would have illuminated the factory radio. Pulled that out and bingo!!!!!!

So after taking most of the dash apart it turned out to be very simple as always, but thank you very much cupboard your a star!!!! Keep counting those rivets!!!!!
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #545776 3rd Jul 2016 9:53pm
Cupboard

Thumbs Up
So when you said there were no modifications and it was all standard... Wink
Post #545779 3rd Jul 2016 9:56pm
Wildbill

Embarassed Rolling Eyes
Well apart from the headunit!!!!! Didn't even think about that. Thank you very much though!!!! Wink
Post #545785 3rd Jul 2016 10:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1