↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Clutch pedal dead zone - ok to tighten it up?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Clutch pedal dead zone - ok to tighten it up?
Gidday,

I replaced my master a whiles back and all the instructions said to make sure I marked the level of thread that the pedal arm made with the master actuation rod thingo.

'It's very important you get this right!' and so on.

Anyways, my clutch pedal has always had a few degrees of nothing at the start of its movement, i.e. the clutch doesn't feel like it's being actuated at all. Bascially loose end play that mean my foot has to go up higher to activate the clutch - I'm used to it, but I foresee another driver using the vehicle a bit more, and her first reaction was 'Jesus, this Censored is a Censored '.

Seems to me that I can simply open up the box and adjust the locking nuts so that the play is minimised (with an open-ender with the sides ground down Thumbs Up )

I'd make sure I don't go so far as to have the clutch springs under constant strain - i.e. I'll leave a little play.

Question:

What don't I know that makes this a bad idea? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #530274 9th May 2016 9:32pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I think you remove nearly all the free play between push rod and master cylinder, you don't actually allow adjustment to move the cylinder seals - if that makes sense

Keith
Post #530287 9th May 2016 10:07pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Hrrrm, no, I don't follow, likely because I haven't been exposed to what you're talking about.

I just swapped out the master rather than open it up and access the seals...

Embarassed

Say I needed to do what you're talking about, why couldn't I just simply move the connection point between the clutch pedal/lever and the threaded piston back to where it is now? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #530289 9th May 2016 10:12pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
If you firstly measure where it is now as a reference point and somewhere to go back to if all goes awry.

Slacken the nuts off and you'll be able to push the rod until it touches the end of the piston in the master cylinder

Adjust the rod to this point then back it off a bit so there is a little free play at the pedal

When I did my clutch (whole system) I had to adjust every bit of free play and rod length there was to get a nice pedal.

Good luck
Post #530293 9th May 2016 10:19pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
I'll take that as one vote for YES, DO IT Thumbs Up

🍺 Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #530299 9th May 2016 10:30pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
I remember somewhere that it is very important that it has some free play as this allows the clutch to fully engage.

If it is tightened up without the free play it can cause the clutch to slip slightly and wear out quicker.

However, it only needs to be some free play, what you have described is several mm of free play so as long as you don't make it too short it should be fine Thumbs Up Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #530364 10th May 2016 12:49pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Well there is only about 1mm on the threaded section of the master piston before the nylon in the ny-lock nut starts connecting to nothing but air.

The small move helped a weee bit and in effect pushed the bite point closer to the floor (as well as the clutch pedal itself, closer to the floor). It's hard to explain, you're kinda dealing with both the pedal spring return and the clutch itself.

Yes, the clutch both fully engages with foot off, and also fully disengages with pedal to the floor. Thumbs Up

The spanner I ground down is an artwork, takes more than just grinding off the sides ! Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #531171 13th May 2016 6:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1