↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > The BIG question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
expatRob

Germany 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Tonga Green
The BIG question
MY07 Puma. My EGR started with the chugga chugga so I unplugged it, it went away, engine light on, monitored codes so I didn't miss anything. I was happy. Well I have an inspection coming up in a few months so something has to be done. This is where you come in. Help me choose the best course of action with least ass-pain. I do not want to get a Remap with EGR delete as it will probably show in the inspection. SO I believe I am left with the choice of below:

1. Remove current EGR Valve and clean it VERY well, re-install it and hope the Chugga chugga does not come back for awhile.

2. Buy a new EGR valve and just replace the old one.

Please discuss. Thanks.

I understand a cycle but this just sounds too loud and sounds bad. Check out this short video clip

Last edited by expatRob on 3rd May 2016 9:52pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #528818 3rd May 2016 5:33pm
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
The "chugga chugga" is mostly normal when the EGR operates, and when you switch the engine off. I would worry more if it was silent...

[Edit; I wrote "mostly" normal because it's kinda difficult to diagnose a noise in writing Laughing ] “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
2009 2.4 Puma Defender 90 SW
1979 Land Rover Series 3 88"
Post #528819 3rd May 2016 5:44pm
Eau02467

Scotland 
You can remove clean and grease which will keep it quiet for a while but ultimately it will fail again so if you are hard up for cash go for this option otherwise buy a new one and prior to installation strip it and grease all moving parts with appropriate grease
Post #528869 3rd May 2016 8:51pm
Stiff1

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Apologies for highjacking but I have been told mine is showing error codes for EGR, MAF and 2nd injector.

I don't have any warning lights on, the EGR makes the typical noises on switching off the ignition but it is running like a pig.

If the EGR makes the three noises is that enough of an indication that it is working fine?
Post #528890 3rd May 2016 9:34pm
o4dn

OK, it seems to be a tad noisy indeed, but at least you know it's operating. Smile

I've been in a similar situation with mine. I had the EGR disabled/unplugged for some time, and when I re-enabled it again, the soot had clogged up the EGR because the cleaning cycles where disabled as well (I reckon Ford/Land Rover put the cleaning cycle on shutdown for a reason, engineers usually don't add things without reasons...)

Mine was actually worse because it was making that awful screeching sound even when driving!

What I did at the time is the following:

1. Drove with 2SO added for a few tanks - that alone made the screeching sound go away
2. Installed a partial blanking plate which reduces the amount of exhaust gas being "recycled" (item #110934139626 on ebay, few quids and a couple of hours to install)
3. Left the EGR functional so the cleaning cycle would remain at shutdown.

That was tens of thousands miles ago, and my EGR is working perfectly (AFAIK) and it's still the original EGR... I do get the MIL light from time to time (less lately), I simply clear the fault with the scanguage.

Now, I am no expert, what worked for me may not work for others, I don't know, but all in all, it cost me a couple of quids, an hour or two to install, and that saved me the hassle of cleaning/replacing the EGR. “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
Post #528969 4th May 2016 7:54am
Lishlandy

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
I had that, brought a new EGR valve as cleaning etc only lasted a few journeys before it started coughing again.

Just one of the long list of quirks about defender ownership Big Cry ===================================
Steve
90 xs sw in Stonoway Grey - Sold
110 USW X-TECH
Post #528970 4th May 2016 8:03am
o4dn

One more "observation", I noticed that premium fuels make the matter worse (again, in my case, might not be true for others), as if it was running dryer... So I use regular (yet branded) fuel. “A Land Rover immobilized is a moral defeat for the driver and bad publicity for the vehicle, […] it's up to you to do justice to your Land Rover!” - Land Rover Driving Technique.
--
Post #528972 4th May 2016 8:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1