↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > For Sale & Wanted > [For Sale] V8 90 1987
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Paulv8

1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
[For Sale] V8 90 1987
Having just been asked by the inlaws if they can come and live with is, and being as I have three landies, and two other vehicles already, as well as the need to park company vehicles on my drive as we have an office here, I need to create some space for their car and so Eric is now for sale.

He is a genuine v8 90 1987 vintage and showing 75k miles which we believe, but with little info, to be genuine. The mot history shows he's covered 3k miles in ten years…. Its MOT is about to run out, but I will renew it in the next few days included in the price.

We do occasionally drive Eric about, though no serious mileage has been done - I am quite confident in him though.

Originally a van we fitted side windows to him.

He was bought from csk land rover two years ago and slowly rebuilt. Pictures are shown.

Spec is:

Drivetrain
Excellent running v8. Smooth as anything. Starts easy hot or cold. Takes very little warming up.
Performance manifolds and only centre box silencer.
Newly fitted lt85 gearbox, ex army reconditioned. Done less than 200 miles.
Gearbox and transfer box filled with new oil and zx1 treatment.
Two inch lift already fitted with spring retainers and dislocation cones on the rear.

Qt diff guards fitted

Chassis
Chassis is original and unwelded. Before we got it I saw it unpainted and it's very solid. Csk did a bloody appalling job of spraying it with dinatrol before collection. It needs more protection but I won't do it as I think people will think I have stuff to hide. The rear crossmember is solid, but personally I would replace it as there are signs it's on the way out soon (the edges under the arches are delaminating) .

The chassis has welded on points for a full six point internal roll cage! So presumably the car competed in some kind of events in its past.

Unsurprisingly, I couldn’t find a chassis number on the chassis itself, but CSK assured me it was a genuine vehicle.

There is a two inch receiver fitted.

Suspension.
Two inch lift kit with delphi shocks are all good.
Some polybushes are fitted
Dislocation cones and spring retainers fitted to the rear currently. Made available for the front.

Bodywork
The bulkhead is original and good, see the pictures of the floors before I fitted rubber mats! They look like new! There is no sign of rust on the tops or around the hinges. The seat box and all the front panels are original...or certainly old! As under the terribly rollered yellow emulsion (csk again!) the original grey is visible.

The rear tub came with the car from csk. The roof and doors are all sourced from forums and every seller has been asked to confirm that the parts are not stolen to the best of their knowledge. The rear door was bought new from britpart.

The car has a one-key conversion.

There is an unknown make of spare wheelcarrier fitted.

To the front is an attractive winch bumper with a light bar and two spots not currently wired in.

There is a winch bumper and a fully functioning (it came off my other car), but currently not wired up warn 9.5xp with 10mm dynaline and yellow hook. There is an albright solenoid for it, with all the cables needed, an isolator for the seat box and a wireless remote control! All not fitted ( I was getting the car painted first)

There is a chrome heater air intake. Heavy duty Light guards and upgraded headlights fitted.

There is also a roof mounted light bar with xeng xlites. Two floods and two spots. The light bar has a cb ariel mount and a custom holder for two waffle boards. The light bar is not wired, again because the vehicle was to be painted first.

I think from memory all the external lighting is new.

Inside

There are three seats in the front. There is also a three instrument set, connected but not mounted properly at the minute. It includes coolant (but it misreads, think it needs a new sender) oil pressure and temperature.

The wiring is loose in the dash and needs tidying

The instruments are original except for the warning lights which are a Td5 conversion. The fuel gauge doesn't read correctly!

There is a chassis mounted internal roll hoop fitted in the rear. This has a fire extinguisher mounted on it.

The car will have 12 months mot.

Wheels are genuine mach 5s
Tyres are runway enduro ATs which are excellent.

The car drives very well. It's very solid, steers well and gets up to speed quickly. It will cruise at 70mph and probably more (I never tried)

Axles...

There are two complete ashcroft built axles. Bought five years ago direct from a Dakar competitor. These were built by ashcrofts on 2007 axles, ARB air lockers, toughened shafts and flanges. These were built for a competition truck backup vehicle that didn’t get used. They sat stripped down in his garage for two years before he sold them to me for a pile of cash! They are complete with the genuine ARB compressor and a full wiring loom and switchgear. One of the axles is currently fitted, the second either can be, if you want it. Otherwise I can remove it and fit the perfectly good standard axle back on.

these are pictures from his collection to now.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I have a price in mind of £7,500 for the complete package but I will split it up, but ONLY once the car is sold and anything the new owner doesn't want has been taken off.

The price is set based on others I have seen for sale and sold. Everybody's opinions are of course valid and there seems to be a wide variety of prices out there. One thing is for sure though - genuine V8 values are only going one way. With a respray Eric will look fantastic - I just didn't want anybody thinking I was covering something up. I can arrange the respray with my trusted local bodyshop if required. V8 90...WIP
Post #525038 18th Apr 2016 4:36pm
Dave

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Good luck with the sale. A selling point may be that it is a Paul Smith 90 Replica given the colour scheme Wink

Click image to enlarge
 Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:
"What is the first rule when overlanding?"

I would Reply:
"Duratrac"
Post #525109 18th Apr 2016 7:39pm
Paulv8

Haha. Yes this has been pointed out before, though opinion generally was that Eric is nicer.

A serious point is though that several people have actually said keep it like it is! V8 90...WIP
Post #525111 18th Apr 2016 7:42pm
mrd1990

Wales 2000 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue Laughing
Post #525112 18th Apr 2016 7:43pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I should have kept my genuine V8 - are they really £7k! Shocked

My nice trident green

Click image to enlarge

Van and Pickup (converted with genuine same age van parts) i think sold for £2 or 3k 10yrs ago Mike
Post #525116 18th Apr 2016 7:48pm
Paulv8

They seem to be for sale anything from 3k to 25k! Being as this has a lot of key parts original (and is therefore probably us exportable with the original axles) I thought it compares well with the cars for sale. Especially as the gearbox is new, the chassis very good and the bulkhead all but perfect.

The low mileage helps too.

The biggest deal is the colour(s) but I wanted to sell it un-tarted if possible. If there is no interest I will have it sprayed it's original grey and put the price up accordingly. The extras are worth a fair bit on their own though. Decent winches, suspension, axles, roll hoop etc all add up! V8 90...WIP
Post #525177 18th Apr 2016 10:55pm
Paulv8

I forgot several things in the ad....

A goodwinch with albright solenoid and remote for the rear
The fuel tank guard
Lots of service items (a big box of stuff)
Hi lift
High lift mounts
Work lights
Xeng disc handbrake
Probably more to come Smile V8 90...WIP
Post #525178 18th Apr 2016 10:58pm
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
"In-Laws coming to live with you"???!!!...Mate, you are very kind & generous man, therefore I wish you all the very best with the sale, and your life.
Well done, Pickles.
Post #525182 18th Apr 2016 11:26pm
Paulv8

There are lots of benefits. Inbuilt babysitters, her mum makes nice deserts and cakes... They provide distraction for wife. So I get more Land Rover time... V8 90...WIP
Post #525184 18th Apr 2016 11:34pm
pjb

Your a braver man than me & good luck with the sale Thumbs Up 2020 P300 HSE
Post #525215 19th Apr 2016 9:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Paulv8

More foolish is probably nearer the mark. V8 90...WIP
Post #525232 19th Apr 2016 10:33am
Andyred90

United Kingdom 
Looks like you had better get the spanners out and start taking off some of my new bits Smile
Post #525572 20th Apr 2016 7:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Paulv8

Easy tiger. Several people are engaging in conversation and when you think the bits are maybe worth 3k plus secondhand (I have realised there are quite a few bits I forgot to list!), the basic solid, low mileage 12 month mot'd car originally sourced from CSK and warranted legitimate for 4.5k doesn't sound to expensive! V8 90...WIP
Post #525649 20th Apr 2016 11:08pm
Paulv8

No buyers yet Smile

This weekend I fitted a new a frame ball joint and tightened a leaking exhaust joint. I also started tidying up the dash wiring ready to fit the radio back in.

Last night I covered the inside of the rear tub with vinyl, and carpeted it out. V8 90...WIP
Post #527222 27th Apr 2016 7:34am
Paulv8

Just ordered some tint for the windows, and the alarm and immobiliser will be fitted at the weekend, along with a tracker.

Been using Eric as a daily drive for a couple of days and he's fantastic to drive about in him.... Starting to regret the selling decision, especially as I keep improving him! Hopefully split charge and fuse box arrives this week, so I can start preparing auxiliary electrics for the winches etc. V8 90...WIP
Post #527223 27th Apr 2016 7:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>