↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Rubbing/ Brushing sound at low speeds
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Augustus

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
Rubbing/ Brushing sound at low speeds
Apologies for this being only my second post and it's already trouble shooting (and a bit waffling on) but I've got a bit of a problem and not much time to address it before a long drive undertaken...

So, the vehicle went in for main shaft and half shaft replacements and had the clutch replaced at the same time under warranty. And has come out with a brushing/ rubbing metallic sound at low speeds.

I say low speeds as that's the only time you can hear it so I presume it's doing it all the time but it's only in a car park or pulling up somewhere quiet you can actually hear it.

It's forward or backwards motion. Clutch disengaged or in drive, engine on or off. Still does it. Like a light brushing sound, rhythmic and rotational. Linear with speed. But it's not wheels or tyres.

Seems to be coming from near the hand brake drum/ transfer box area.

I'm wondering if it's the brake shoes rubbing slightly. Been back to the garage today and they didn't have the time to inspect fully but had it up on a ramp and span wheels etc and it seems it is intermittent. they put it down to stones in the tyres which it definitely isn't. They have been really helpful and obliging but I am running out of time and can't wait for their appointment slots so thought I'd ask here.

It's a 2014 TDCI 110 SW.

Before it goes back, any ideas anyone?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

G
Post #517235 24th Mar 2016 12:28am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I would strongly suspect the transmission brake shoes are rubbing on high spots on the the drum. It's easy to release the handbrake yet not let the lever right down so you might like to check that and also if the drum is very hot after a run. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #517239 24th Mar 2016 12:39am
Augustus

Hi Steve

Thanks for the quick reply.

Hmm, Research is pointing me to thinking it could be the brake too. Just wondering why it would start after the shafts were changed, but not do it before. Would it have to be removed to change those shafts do you know? That might explain it possibly.

I know what you mean about seating the hand brake fully. I have been since the work was completed (sat).

Hmm...
Post #517242 24th Mar 2016 12:54am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
yes hand brake will have been affected by gearbox work, I agree check handbrake first DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #517249 24th Mar 2016 7:12am
Biffas

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
what was the problem with you clutch? mine went in for service a couple of weeks ago i complained about clutch judder but they said it was normal according to Harwards at pulbough.
Post #517269 24th Mar 2016 8:54am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Could be a stone stuck in mudshield or caliper - jack each wheel in turn and see if you can pin noise down.
Post #517305 24th Mar 2016 10:13am
Augustus

Yeah, had it on a lift and each wheel's been spun gradually, independently and it's been run at low speed while hanging. Currently up again and handbrake being cleaned out. No clear signs of uneven wear which is a shame as that was my hope as it were.
Post #517334 24th Mar 2016 12:05pm
Augustus

Biffas wrote:
what was the problem with you clutch? mine went in for service a couple of weeks ago i complained about clutch judder but they said it was normal according to Harwards at pulbough.

well, i complained of a judder on clutch take up that resonated through the body, they diagnosed a frame ball joint, replaced that, didn't fix it, then re looked and changed drive shaft and half shafts as there was wear to the splines and play in the clutch release bearing, so replaced that while the gearbox was out (at least a bit of fore thinking there). still judders. normal according to the three tech's that have checked it, but then it has developed this brushing sound.

Sad
Post #517335 24th Mar 2016 12:08pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Sounds like they don't really have a clue - get the PR guy on here involved - sounds like they are running up a warranty bill for JLR at their expense and your wasted time.
Post #517342 24th Mar 2016 12:28pm
Biffas

England 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
did they not change the complete clutch while they had it apart , my clutch judder was terrible at 8000 miles but has got a bit better now i have done 11000 miles.
Post #517542 24th Mar 2016 10:39pm
Augustus

Yeah, new clutch while the gearbox was out. Thankfully. Clutch felt ok to be fair. Judder is more of a light resonating judder through the car if you drop the clutch hard.

Issue from the brushing may have been a hairline fracture in the back plate of the hand brake. We will see.
Post #517803 25th Mar 2016 10:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1