Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Bulkhead Removal with Integrated Roll Cage
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ad6481

United Kingdom 
Bulkhead Removal with Integrated Roll Cage
Hello All

I was planning to start work on removing the bulkhead on my Soft Top Defender 90. In order to fit the bar (as many will be aware) you are meant to fit the supporting brackets that bolt into the front of the rear tub (just by the seatbelt tensioners).

I already have installed a fully integrated roll cage under the soft top, that bolts straight through the tub and into the chassis in a number of places (i.e. it's not a hoop set that just sits on top of the tub). One fixing point for the roll cage is by the B Pillars into the front of the rear tub, exactly where the removal bar brackets would otherwise bolt. As the roll cage is attached to the chassis in many places, my view is that I have a structurally and actually stronger support than the removal bar would ever add to the car. It appears to me, I already have all round structural support through the chassis and across the roof line at the very same place the support bar fits (as well as in other places).

As a result, I'm wondering whether I can just cut out the bulkhead, and not bother with the bulkhead removal bar at all (which I may sell subject to answers / opinions here). Is the removal bar meant for anything other than structural support?

Any help, advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated. A close up photo of the current roll cage bracket is attached to give folk an idea of what I'm on about. A wider shot of the car with roof off is also attached so you can see the fuller roll cage.

Thanks all in advance for any thoughts.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #514959 16th Mar 2016 4:40pm
fixit

The bar is only to stop the sides flexing so why not weld a bracket to the roll bar and bolt it to the side and save the price of a bulkhead removal bar? It would be a tidy job that way.
Post #514981 16th Mar 2016 6:07pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
I have wondered about this from the other way. ie I have 90XS SW so has factory bulk head removal bar.
I keep thinking about a roll cage but all the ones with internal hoops seem to be too cluttered and take up wasted space when they sit behind the removal bar - and I keep thinking surely the hoop could REPLACE the removal bar rather than be in addition to it?
Post #514993 16th Mar 2016 6:32pm
ad6481

United Kingdom 
fixit wrote:
The bar is only to stop the sides flexing so why not weld a bracket to the roll bar and bolt it to the side and save the price of a bulkhead removal bar? It would be a tidy job that way.

Cheers for this. Not a bad shout but I'm not even sure I need to do that. If the bar is there to prevent side flex, then I guess that rigidity comes because the removal bar gives it lateral support. As I've got the roll bar already (in exactly the same places) that lateral support is presumably already there, albeit supported across the roof line rather than across the cab / tub floor. I'm almost convinced there's never going to be a "yes it's fine" answer to this so I think I might just give it a go. If there's any flex then deal with it later by fabricating something (and most likely botching a weld to be repaired by a professional). Not the most scientific of approaches to be honest but needs must.

Any more takers? I presume this type of modification wouldn't be looked at more closely for MOT purposes?
Post #515024 16th Mar 2016 7:42pm
ad6481

United Kingdom 
apt100 wrote:
I have wondered about this from the other way. ie I have 90XS SW so has factory bulk head removal bar.
I keep thinking about a roll cage but all the ones with internal hoops seem to be too cluttered and take up wasted space when they sit behind the removal bar - and I keep thinking surely the hoop could REPLACE the removal bar rather than be in addition to it?

Yes, it's strange that there isn't any source of information for this type of thing. It must be correct though. It doesn't make any sense otherwise. I have no idea if there are tests that can be done on lateral load, twist, side flex or anything else for that matter. However, even if there were I'm convinced a full chassis integrated roll bar will do a better job than a bulkhead replacement bar.

Of course, I say all this in the knowledge that I'm just trying to convince myself to get on with it as "it will be fine"!! Rolling Eyes
Post #515029 16th Mar 2016 7:50pm
ad6481

United Kingdom 
Quick update. I had Chris (username "Killer90") from CSK Automotive (in Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire) come round the other day to take a look at the truck. Incidentally, he's a top man and very helpful indeed. After discussion with him, I've decided to definitely chop the bulkhead out completely and reinstall the roll cage without the additional support of the bulkhead removal bar. He agreed that the strength in the sides of the tub would be retained (and actually be firmer) as a result of the roll cage and that I didn't need the bar support. It's not even a belt and braces approach. The roll cage will provide a stronger and more integrated lateral and longitudinal support to the tub than the bar ever could.

As a result, jigsaw and/or Dremel are coming out soon.
Post #519509 31st Mar 2016 10:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1