Home > Puma (Tdci) > Advice on bying 2008 Puma Hardtop
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Simon.pl

Poland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
Advice on bying 2008 Puma Hardtop
Hi All

Welcome to Defender forum Very Happy Been on a Disco3.co.uk forum for a while but I'm close to buying my first Defender ever.

Here are some pics of a Hardtop I'm after - it looks too good on the pictures for me to be true Wink - will have a look live tomorrow, but wanted to ask for advice what should I check at first place and what should I "hear" in the engine that would warn me.

Also - got my IIDToolBT from my Disco3 - would it work as a simple code reader on this Defender? I think it should but just want to be sure..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up
Post #514727 15th Mar 2016 10:49pm
Simon.pl

Few more from underneath.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up
Post #514728 15th Mar 2016 10:52pm
YOLO110

Australia 
Looks lovely!

Providing it has a service history and not 3 million miles, a great looking truck!

Dealer will give you a warrantee too!

If you like it and want it... Buy it!!! Smile YOLO... You Only Live Once...
Post #514734 15th Mar 2016 11:13pm
Crocodile110

United Kingdom 
What price is the seller asking for it?
Post #514759 16th Mar 2016 12:42am
RED-DOT

Scotland 
These wheels are rarely seen on a 110? How does it handle? 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #514762 16th Mar 2016 12:57am
Simon.pl

The car has 120000km on ODO and the price is around 12000GBP
Thumbs Up
Post #514811 16th Mar 2016 10:06am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Chassis looks ok on the surface, the wheelarches look like they need a good pressure wash.

I take it the interior is wet because someone just jet washed it and it got inside? Did they do the door shuts with the doors open or did the water get in somewhere else? I'd want to know.

It looks like the basic spec hardtop, the roof lining is sagging slightly, maybe due to damp? Might be worth checking it looks ok and not mouldy from water ingress.

Otherwise looks clean and a good base vehicle to do your own improvements. That bulkhead behind the front seats looks home made and may restrict your movement of seats but at the same time may keep you warmer, I know how cold Warsaw can be as I am a regular visitor.

If you do buy it, I'd suggest having the underside steam cleaned and having the chassis protected with Dinitrol/Bilthamber/Waxoyl to ensure it will last a long time on those Polish winter roads!

When you get to test drive it, does the clutch rattle when it's idling in neutral? That's a known problem. The heaters on these are excellent so if it doesn't get really hot something is wrong. Look for fresh oil leaks, check the swivels are clean and not leaking, expect things like springs and shocks to need replacement as they will be tired by now.

Keep us posted. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #514820 16th Mar 2016 10:34am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Also I notice it has a winch bumper and no winch, was it ever fitted or has it been removed? If it was removed check it has been done well and not ripped out!

All of this suggests it is an ex utility vehicle, which can either mean it has lead a very hard life or, has been maintained meticulously.

Any more info on it? 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #514822 16th Mar 2016 10:37am
Simon.pl

That is finally very informative replay - cheers RRUK! Thumbs Up

The wet interior worried me too - have no idea how it was washed, but will definitely check if there are any marks of leaks. The windshield is steamed - but even my Disco3 has this issue after proper wash Mr. Green

Haven't noticed this sagging you are writing about - on which picture you can see it? Will have a closer look when I'm on site.

This bulkhead will be removed with time, as I would like it to be an expedition project, so the open space will be needed. My plan is to strip it apart and protect the chassis and body as well - any recommendation on body protection? Or just proper paint job would do the job?

Can't answer the rest of the technical questions as haven't seen it live yet, but will definitely follow your advices.

Thanks once again!

Bow down Thumbs Up
Post #514824 16th Mar 2016 10:44am
Simon.pl

The guy isn't a proper "seller". Not very informative on the phone. The car is from "family business" - he sold one more 2 weeks ago - that's how I got in touch with him (called him too late - the car was sold after few hours from showing on Fleebay). The other one was cheaper than this one - similar considering spec and condition. Someone from Germany bought it.

Will tell you more in the evening. Trying NOT to be too excited Laughing Wink

Thumbs Up
Post #514826 16th Mar 2016 10:49am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Simon,

it is the picture below which I noticed the sagging roof lining. Even if it IS sagging, it might not be a big deal, as you have many plans, it looks like just a truck cab section headlining, which is the cheapest to replace, or you might end up insulating the entire body inside and fitting a full length HL, which would certainly make it warmer and quieter.

You'll be able to tell if there's any leaks, there will be water marks and possibly mould marks if it hasn't been cleaned off.

By the looks of it the car has not got Air conditioning fitted, which could be a pain when trying to dry out the interior condensation, once you've had it, plus the heated front screen you never want to go back! A heated screen can be retro fitted, but I'm not sure Air con can, might be too much work. I am guessing it will also not have heated seats - would you want this in Poland?

Click image to enlarge

In terms of body protection, the only real route to take is chequer plate on the wings, bonnet, sills and rear corners, opinion is divided on this forum about it, I happen to like it. Once it is fitted there is NO going back with holes in the panels etc. If you DO fit it, go for decent 3mm thick, otherwise it's pointless.

Try to think about the practicalities of that car and if the specification is right for you, try not to get over excited and buy the first one you see, there's always another out there, and bits like the Winter Pack (heated front and rear screens, heated seats, air con etc) could be really useful in the long term.

Hope that is food for thought. 2016 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #514830 16th Mar 2016 11:10am
Simon.pl

Thumbs Up It's sagging indeed on this picture, but hope it's just headlining. If I remove the bulkhead would definatelly fit full lenght headlining and insulate the body, so this is not an issue.

It's bad news regarding airconditioning Neutral I would definatelly want one. Heated seats are not on the first place on the list - although I know can be nice, but didn't have them in my base spec Disco, so could live without in this case also Wink I know heated front screen can be retro fitted - even found one on Polish fleebay so it's not a big issue as well.

I try not to be over excited, but it's been a while since I looked for a proper Defender (Puma, not the older ones, even that I heard many bad stories about the engine, and so on), and the choice you have here in Poland is not very big. Usuall 110s have very high price tag and considering what I want to do with it (no need for the second seat's row, rear doors, etc) it's not worth paying additional money just to get rid of many parts.

But this air con.. Ughhh... Hope you are not right this time Mr. Green Wink

Thumbs Up
Post #514842 16th Mar 2016 11:40am
RED-DOT

Scotland 
That is a very basic 110 with no aircon, ABS or traction control. It probably has keep-fit windows and in the UK it would struggle to find a private buyer as it really has appeal to a farmer or commercial useage. 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #514891 16th Mar 2016 1:13pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
RED-DOT wrote:
These wheels are rarely seen on a 110? How does it handle?

Those wheels and tyres are very often seen round these parts and are standard on a lot of Defenders. They work well Thumbs Up

Mine has them, the farm's has them, you often see them.

I have a poverty spec hard top with wind up windows, no ABS or TC and it's fine.
Post #514907 16th Mar 2016 2:08pm
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Probably true Cupboard but there has been many a ship went to the bottom for saving on a bucket of tar? 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #514912 16th Mar 2016 2:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>