Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Bulkhead Removal Bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MineRover

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 90 200 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Bulkhead Removal Bar
Hello All,

Hoping someone can help, I purchased a bulkhead removal bar at the Dunsfold show last year second hand with no fitting instructions, I have seen the LRM technical and it looks straightforward.

Does anyone have a set of fitting instructions they could scan and send to me please so I can be sure I don't do something wrong Smile

Thank you.

Photo of the type of bar below.

Post #508934 28th Feb 2016 9:49am
Ade90

United Kingdom 
Ok it's Britpart, but the instructions do work!

http://www.paddockspares.com/media/downloadable/DA1810_vr1.pdf

Easy job, just take your time with the cutting. Fixing Land Rovers for over 25 years..........and making excuses to the wife for almost as long Smile

1984 110 V8 - Gone, but not forgotten....
Post #509067 28th Feb 2016 7:50pm
MineRover

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 90 200 Tdi CSW Alpine White
Thanks Ade90 that is just what I needed, my 90 rebuild has really kicked into gear now as the engine came out yesterday and the roof came off as well!

Thank you again.

Alan
Post #509103 28th Feb 2016 9:32pm
ad6481

United Kingdom 
Apologies for hi-jacking this thread with my first post! I have a bulkhead removal bar and was planning on starting work on removing the bulkhead (carefully Thumbs Up ) on my Defender 90. In order to fit the bar, I (like Alan who started this thread) will need to fit the bar supporting brackets that bolt into the front of the rear tub (just by the seatbelt tensioners).

I already have a fully integrated roll cage under the soft top, that bolts straight through the tub and into the chassis in a number of places, one of which is at the front of the rear tub, exactly where the removal bar brackets will bolt. As the roll cage currently bolts to the chassis, my view is that I have a structurally and actually stronger support than the removal bar will ever add to the car. I actually have all round structural support through the chassis and across the roof line at the very same place the support bar fits (as well as others).

As a result, I'm wondering whether I can just cut out the bulkhead, and not bother with the bar at all (which I may sell subject to answers / opinions here).

Any help, advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated. A photo of the current roll cage bracket is attached to give folk an idea of what I'm on about. Obviously the bar continues up and over the car and attaches at the same place on the other side, giving all round support. Thanks in advance.

Click image to enlarge
Post #514929 16th Mar 2016 3:09pm
Ade90

United Kingdom 
You have exactly the same issue I had 12 months ago.

I had already removed the bulkhead and fitted the removal bar and then decided to fit a safety devices cage. Sure enough the 2 aren't compatible.

I talked to a number of Landy people (inc the supplier of the cage) and all agreed the strength of the cage would more than make up for the loss of the bulkhead and hence the removal bar wasn't necessary.

So far I have had no problems and everything is rock solid. I would emphasise that I have used a safety devices cage that is properly tested and mounts to the chassis (like yours).

Hope this helps. Fixing Land Rovers for over 25 years..........and making excuses to the wife for almost as long Smile

1984 110 V8 - Gone, but not forgotten....
Post #515070 16th Mar 2016 9:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1