↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Mounting a jerry can not on a roof rack?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Mounting a jerry can not on a roof rack?
Has anyone mounted a jerry can on the outside of their vehicle other than on a roof rack?
I want to avoid putting one on a rack if possible because I don't want the weight up there.

Military style side lockers are a possibility but I'd prefer not to cut in to the outside of the vehicle if possible and most IMO look a bit ugly. I have thought about making something that goes in that space but I haven't really worked out exactly how. Whatever I do needs to be safe, easy to use and secure.

Something like a LandieBox might work http://www.landiebox.co.uk/product/?product=6 or something bolted under that I can lift a couple of 10l cans in to and then lock the bottom.

And yes, I do want cans and not a bigger fuel tank. I don't think I want more than 20l, so 2*10l would be fine too.

If I can't find anything better then I'll probably end up with a lockable side locker on one side and a LandieBox on the other, but I'd like to go in with my eyes open before spending hundreds of pounds cutting holes in my lovely 110! I'm the tedious sort of person that likes to research things to death before jumping.

Edit: could something be mounted (legally?) on the back? I've got a ladder there for when I do have the rack on, no wheel carrier as yet so if there's a spare wheel carrier at a non-silly price that also has a jerry can holder that might work.
Post #495831 24th Jan 2016 4:29pm
Guy

United Kingdom 
Landiebox sell exactly that, a swing away wheel carrier with a jerry can holder sitting between the spare wheel and rear door. It mounts to the rear cross member

HTH 
DINGO - '99 Discovery 2 V8 with 300Tdi transplant, chawton white. Repatriated from Australia and expedition prepped.
**FOR SALE**
SHARKY - '06 Discovery 3 HSE Auto, bonatti grey. SOLD.
GEORGE - '99 Discovery 1 300Tdi Auto, willow green. Daily driver, travel companion, part of the family! SOLD.
PINGU - '96 Defender 110 300Tdi station wagon. SOLD.

Dream LR - 130 pop top station wagon camper.
Post #495837 24th Jan 2016 4:37pm
Cupboard

Have you got a link to that? I can't see it on their website.
Post #495842 24th Jan 2016 5:04pm
WHH 001

South Africa 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 X-Tech LE Orkney Grey
Post #495888 24th Jan 2016 7:35pm
ryanf

England 
The Frontrunner side-mounted jerry can holders did the job well for us in Morocco.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #495947 24th Jan 2016 10:10pm
Guy

United Kingdom 
Cupboard wrote:
Have you got a link to that? I can't see it on their website.

He had them on his Facebook page mate. My friend Sam has one fitted to his 110 hard top.

Drop him an email asking for details mate.

Guy.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a....amp;type=3

Hope the link works for you. 
DINGO - '99 Discovery 2 V8 with 300Tdi transplant, chawton white. Repatriated from Australia and expedition prepped.
**FOR SALE**
SHARKY - '06 Discovery 3 HSE Auto, bonatti grey. SOLD.
GEORGE - '99 Discovery 1 300Tdi Auto, willow green. Daily driver, travel companion, part of the family! SOLD.
PINGU - '96 Defender 110 300Tdi station wagon. SOLD.

Dream LR - 130 pop top station wagon camper.
Post #495990 24th Jan 2016 11:25pm
Spruce Pirate

Scotland 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Zambezi Silver
Why not the military/utility style lockers between the rear wheel and the bulkhead? Fitted properly these are pretty tidy, and the space is entirely wasted without them (I never understood why the weren't a factory fit as standard on a 110 h/top/ or truck-cab). They also keep the weight low down and don't interfere with the external dimensions of the vehicle. From experience the military lockers let a lot of dirt in, the utility style don't. I can't comment on the Landybox from experience, but the pictures look good. Dirty Deeds - Done Dirt Cheap
Post #495994 24th Jan 2016 11:32pm
Cupboard

Thanks all. Dangling off the side just looks awful! I appreciate the pictures ryanf, that really does confirm my thoughts Smile

I am erring towards the side lockers I think. When you say utility ones, are they different to the ones like FCX are selling?
I've seen pictures of the Safari Equip stainless ones, the FCX ones with an anti-luce fastener and some home made jobbies. For the sake of neatness it would have to be a pair, and I'd want something a bit better than the fastener on the FCX ones because I've had a couple of bad experiences with anti-luce fasteners coming, erm, loose. The Safari Equip ones are really pricey and I don't think I need stainless.
Post #496154 25th Jan 2016 2:18pm
g-mack

United Kingdom 
^^ just shows its different strokes for different folks!!!! i think the jerry can "dangling "off the side looks ace for an overlanding setup Thumbs Up My 109 thread

my youtube channel
Post #496176 25th Jan 2016 2:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1