↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Anyone been to Phuket
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Projectblue

England 
Anyone been to Phuket
I'm off to Thailand for a couple of weeks with girlfriend and although I have been to Bangkok before, I've never been to Phuket. I know it can be party town and want to avoid that, but not really sure of places so suggestions would be useful.

I'm checking trip advisor, but it doesn't help with the locations. New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #493136 17th Jan 2016 12:39am
Morepower

New Zealand 
I've just returned from Khao lac (may need to check spelling there)... Much quieter and more of a "grown up" place, With the option to find a good night out if you want to... Unlike Phuket which is just mad and full of the Gap year students going mental now their out of sight of mum and dad (although usually still living off them btw)...
Anyway, I can recommend the Beyond Resort in Khao Lac.. No kids allowed and service is really good.. SWMBO enjoyed all the Spa treatments and they cost next to nowt..

Hope this helps??

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #493164 17th Jan 2016 8:34am
Projectblue

England 
Yep - I shall look it up. Thanks Thumbs Up New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #493237 17th Jan 2016 1:08pm
WarPig

England 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi USW Bonatti Grey
I absolutely love Thailand, having been there numerous times, both work and holidays. First time there was in 1996 backpacking with mates. Phukets main town of Patong is very lively, but a great experience. There are nice hotels along the coast well enough away from Patong, and in complete contrast. You can always get a taxi into Patong for the odd night out. Its not as sleezy as people think.

Work sent me there a few days after the Tsunami, and I travelled up and down the coastline of mainland Thailand and Phuket and saw the total devastation, especially in Khao Lac. Ive been back since through work, but those sights & smells stay with me and because of that its not a place I could return to with my family, at least not for a few years.

Other than that, its a beautiful place, amazing beaches, restaurant food is amazing. ten times better than Thai food over here.
Post #493319 17th Jan 2016 5:24pm
Projectblue

England 
Tim,

Thanks for the tip. Couldn't get in there but found a place nearby that looks/reads great. Hadn't considered that area so thanks.

I will let you know what it was like on my return Thumbs Up New project and it's green: www.projectoverland.info
Post #493440 17th Jan 2016 9:43pm
Orangesofa

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I was there just before the tsunami in a flashy hotel complex with rooms (huts) set in gardens on the hillside. It was sterile and clinical. The best thing we ever did was venture out of the hotel to eat and experience the real deal.

It changed my entire holiday mentality - eat where the locals eat.

Sorry no recommendations per se except to say to avoid the tourist traps and big hotels Smile Phil
Post #493615 18th Jan 2016 11:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1