↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > For the audiophiles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
For the audiophiles
Hi I need a pointer on a device that will let me convert my dad's and my vinyl and tape music archives to mp3. There are possibly a thousand albums and singles between us so such a device needs to be quite robust and if it's possible to separate tracks individually and automatically that would be great for my stuff but less so for his.

Any advice would be great, thanks. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #491705 13th Jan 2016 8:06am
ken

United Kingdom 
Maplin certainly sell a Vinyl to MP3 & Tape to MP3 converters by Ion

I ditched vinyl when CD's came out rebuilt my collection in CD (Stupid) isn't hindsight wonderful
Post #491711 13th Jan 2016 8:46am
lambert.the.farmer

Cheers I will have a look in there tonight. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #491719 13th Jan 2016 9:20am
Inigo

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I bought a decent secondhand turntable (Rega Planar 3) and a decent sound card for my PC (M-audio audiophile 2496) and slowly and manually recorded all my old vinyl.
I used Sony Soundforge to record them and it has a plugin specifically designed to help clean up vinyl hisses, cracks and pops. Or you could manually go in and remove each scratch by zooming in to the waveform and just removing that one peak. Worked very well, but very time consuming.
Then saved both flac and mp3 versions.
Post #491726 13th Jan 2016 10:07am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
( Curveball )

another (slightly less sentimental, I know) option would be to get a subscription to Apple Music or Spotify (~£5-10/month with free trial) and to just individually find each album or single by name, and save it offline.

Then you'd have lossless or v high quality versions of everything across all your devices.

That'd be the 21st century way of doing it, but I completely understand how satisfying it is to have your own hard copies etc. Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #491728 13th Jan 2016 10:22am
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Inigo wrote:

Then saved both flac and mp3 versions.

This is an important point.

There are plenty of programs and hardware devices (USB turntables, etc) that will allow you to rip albums to digital but ensuring you are making the highest quality copy is essential.

I'd suggest investing in a hefty external HD - something in the 2 - 4TB range.

Burn in a lossless audio format (as has been suggested FLAC) - a bit like the old maxim when you're cutting something important: 'measure twice, cut once', when it comes to ripping a lot of audio (and I know because I've done it!), 'pick the best audio quality and burn once!' When I started burning my CDs, lossless wasn't common and therefore, I've had to repeat part of the process again Rolling Eyes

For a bit more info, this is worth a read: http://www.whathifi.com/news/high-resoluti...ed-to-know

Most external devices (Apple and others) have an automatic option to downgrade your music collection when you are moving tracks to a portable device; therefore, in my case, everything on my NAS drive is lossless but when the portable synchs, it downgrades the audio to lower level so as to preserve disc space. This means I don't need two files and get best quality at home but space to have everything on remote devices.

Also, Google audiophile forums and join one - there is always new stuff coming out and unless we have a heavily committed audiophile on the site, we may not know of an excellent piece of software or hardware that has recently been released and could make your job a lot easier!
Post #491729 13th Jan 2016 10:29am
lambert.the.farmer

Cheers again will have a further Google, though to be honest my hearing is not really up for proper hq solutions I just don't get enough benefit from it so to an extent rough and ready will do. As for streaming etc a lot of my music is white label rave and other such things that were never made in high volume and are now often lost to history as it were. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #491761 13th Jan 2016 12:20pm
Edzi

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
Re: For the audiophiles
lambert.the.farmer wrote:
Hi I need a pointer on a device that will let me convert my dad's and my vinyl and tape music archives to mp3. There are possibly a thousand albums and singles between us so such a device needs to be quite robust and if it's possible to separate tracks individually and automatically that would be great for my stuff but less so for his.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

As already suggested, best to do this at full quality first, so lossless FLAC would be a good choice. Or if all your digital realm is Apple, use ALAC. You can then if needed make MP3s from your master tracks.

If you already have a turntable, you need a phono preamp which has a USB out which you then connect to your computer. I've not done this so can't recommend which software to use, but online research will give you the answers needed.

Incidentally, I have a NAD phono pre amp with USB which Was bundled with my turntable. I've since upgraded so it's yours for £110 including posting in the UK if interested. PM me if you'd like it.
Post #491907 13th Jan 2016 7:45pm
lambert.the.farmer

Been looking at roxio easy lp to mp3 on amazon, it seems to have fairly good reviews save for a few registration issues which seem to be easily overcome. It does various file types including flac and is about 40 quid complete with a selection of connecting cables. Has anyone got any experience of it or its greater reputation? Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #492106 14th Jan 2016 5:54am
Edzi

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Alaska White
Incidentally, this is the unit I mentioned:

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-11451-nad-pp4-gra.aspx

It's had around 2 months use (probably less).
Post #492149 14th Jan 2016 10:44am
lambert.the.farmer

Sorry but that's way out of my price range. cool kit though. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #492174 14th Jan 2016 1:27pm
jimbob7

If it's for your Dad I doubt he wants the ultimate "HI-FI" music quality,in which case buy what ever is recommended on Amazon.
If you already have a hi-quality turntable,then look for a music converter to digital. Pov.spec,ftw. 2006, 110,TD5.
Post #492195 14th Jan 2016 2:01pm
Laurie

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Use a turntable to feed analogue signal into your sound card.
Record and edit using Audacity....
http://www.audacityteam.org/
Convert to MP3 and catalogue with Media Monkey....
http://www.mediamonkey.com/
All free software. 
Post #492477 15th Jan 2016 12:58am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
What you doing with the old worthless vinyl? Whistle
Post #492490 15th Jan 2016 8:13am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1