o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Engine misfire
Hi all,

I am experiencing engine misfire under very specific specific circumstances:

- run at approx ~2000 rpm in 2nd or 3rd gear
- release throttle until engine revs at ~1750 rpm
- Apply a very gentle throttle again up to 2000 rpm

In 2nd and 3rd gear, at best I get no acceleration and a muffled sound engine, at worse the engine misfire around ~1800 rpm.

The problem is that I drive mostly like that, gently with throttle (to save fuel) and around ~2000 rpm (since it's where the engine gets its max torque) so that really is an annoying problem for me.

Anybody else experiences that?

I took the car to a LR dealer already for that but they did nothing but reinstall the software update (which did not cure the problem in the first place). I have been told that there was no error reported, so no problem, and that no error would be reported unless the MIL shows up (which it didn't), and that I should wait and see. But the problem does not go away by itself, it's still there.... Evil or Very Mad

Any idea what could be causing that? Maybe it's by design and all I need is to get used o it, but I do not remember that happening when new (the car has just 4000km)
Post #24878 22nd Feb 2010 8:01pm
dgardel

Italy 
See the left external mirror (exhaust side). if you can see smoke when the problem appears, 99% the cause is the EGR valve..... Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #24888 22nd Feb 2010 9:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
o4dn

dgardel wrote:
See the left external mirror (exhaust side). if you can see smoke when the problem appears, 99% the cause is the EGR valve.....

Hey Daniele!

I do not think I've ever seen smoke.

Glad you say the EGR might be a possible cause because I did mention the EGR valve to the dealer, who promptly replied that it would raise an ECU error and set the MIL on (the logic of the dealer is no MIL so no error, therefore no problem, ie I am not sure he believes me Big Cry ).

Problem, there no other dealer in the area Sad
Post #24889 22nd Feb 2010 9:16pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Mine's going back in for a similar problem. Fortunately my MIL did come on for a couple of days. Lets see what they say. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #24922 23rd Feb 2010 11:27am
ralton

South Africa 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
mine does it too, with black smoke if i hold it at about 2200rpm...
What is an EGR?, what does it do? How bad is it if left alone? etc...
Cheers,
Post #24926 23rd Feb 2010 12:08pm
o4dn

just checked again, there really is no smoke that I can see in my case.
Post #24954 23rd Feb 2010 6:41pm
alantd

I can't see smoke either.

My guess is it's something in either the fuel metering valve, the fuel pressure relief valve or the High Pressure rail control valve. All have had dealer-notification issues logged with LR. The HPR control valve, especially is the one that is most likely.

The recall notice is:
"When driving following a cold engine start where the engine coolant temperature is <5>35° and a gear change is made at an engine speed of
>2000rpm there is a possibility that the High Pressure rail control valve can stick and cause high
rail pressure, which trips a diagnostic, relieves the rail pressure causing the customer to see an
engine Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) light on with restricted performance and P1169 and/or
P0089 Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) stored in the Powertrain Control Module (PCM)."

Their solution - put the engine patch in. However, they've either not done it (when they say they had) or they've done it incorrectly because mine still has these symptoms. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
Post #24992 24th Feb 2010 8:34am
alantd

ralton wrote:
mine does it too, with black smoke if i hold it at about 2200rpm...
What is an EGR?, what does it do? How bad is it if left alone? etc...
Cheers,

Ralton. The EGR refers to the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. It's a trick to reduce emissions by feeding the exhaust gasses back into the intake. However, it has to be precisely controlled because it has an effect on quality and quantity of air getting to the engine. If the valve sticks then it runs out range for the ECU and you get rough performance (is my understanding).

Some people have blanked off the EGR to get more power (better quality air?) but they've encountered illuminated MIL lights as the engine thinks it is running out of tune.

Black smoke out the back does imply it is linked to the EGR - probably worth getting your dealer to look into it if it is still in warranty. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
Post #24999 24th Feb 2010 9:10am
ralton

South Africa 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Thanks alantd
I have already taken it to my original dealer, but they updated the software (which didn't fix the problem). I have recently changed dealers, so will take it in for an oil change service in a about 5000km time and mention it to them...
Cheers
Post #25011 24th Feb 2010 10:20am
o4dn

Problem still present, seems definitely related to the temperature, ie the car is a pleasure to drive when cold, at first start, and after a few minutes the problem appears, getting worse as the weather becomes warmer (well, that's my impression at least). But no smoke that I can see.

Took it twice to the dealer, found nothing (as there is no error logged in the ECU).

So could the EGR be the problem (given that it seems to be temp. related) and if so, can the EGR have issues whereas no error is reported?

And does anyone tried cleaning the EGR? How difficult is the job (if possible at all)?
Post #28794 2nd Apr 2010 8:07am
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
I'm the same, no smoke though. Does it regularly when driving gently. Confused
Post #28805 2nd Apr 2010 8:57am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Higgers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
Spoke to Guava in Guildford today and they said they have seen the same on other Pumas.

They found that it was a small amount of water in the fuel filter. Mines going in for a service in the next 1000 miles so will update.

Thumbs Up
Post #29221 7th Apr 2010 7:04pm
o4dn

Higgers wrote:
Spoke to Guava in Guildford today and they said they have seen the same on other Pumas.

They found that it was a small amount of water in the fuel filter. Mines going in for a service in the next 1000 miles so will update.

Thumbs Up

Makes me think of this thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic2067.html but the VIN of mine is past the ones listed.
Post #29262 8th Apr 2010 8:20am
CapeLandy

South Africa 
same here
Also have this symptom but only when cold (Africa Cold) and dissappears when Eng temp is about 40'C.
No faults on the scangauge and not a puff of smoke. very slight lag/misfire so not worried as yet.
Post #29273 8th Apr 2010 11:53am
tmcwhirter

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Did anyone get to the bottom of this? I have the same thing. Generally under gentle acceleration and splutters at c. 1900 rpm in 2nd just before I hit the powerband and shift ti 3rd. I have had a engine remap, performance filters put in and a new exhaust. Never happens when accelerating more aggressively - only when gentle.
Post #47976 9th Dec 2010 4:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>