Home > Puma (Tdci) > Constant whining!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
wyndyc

2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Indus Silver
Constant whining!
Good morning

First post from new defender owner (2013 2.2 90 XS), so pls go lightly...

Problem: the turbo whines, all the time! It is very audible, even over road/ wind noise. The pitch of the whine is linked to the throttle (not revs). No engine warning lights have come on and the car pulls well, surprisingly so, which makes me believe the previous owner had the ECU remapped (which would also explain how I can get over 85mph).

I have read much on this forum about the known issue with the intercooler/ turbo hoses and various recalls, and so I have ordered a set of silicone hoses to replace those currently on there (whilst still under warranty, I would like to just fit and forget). That said, from a brief look under the bonnet with the engine running, I can not see anything wrong with the current hoses. Is there anything else that the whining could be linked to? I don't think a decat pipe is fitted, but would this explain the noise?

I have it booked in for a service on 30 December (first data local dealer could do..) and will no doubt find out more then. But if it is something I can resolve myself, then I'd certainly like to.

Many thanks in advance Thumbs Up
Post #476317 26th Nov 2015 11:30am
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Does it go whoorrr-wheeee-whrorrr if you go on and off the throttle? I have had a passenger think we were being followed by something with a siren on mine.

The speed limiter on a 2.2 is higher than on a 2.4 which would explain why you can go above 85 Smile
Post #476379 26th Nov 2015 2:44pm
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
how many miles has it done ? small holes cause loads of trouble and can be hard to find a turbo tends to whine when on its way out . the other thing if your car as been chipped as the turbo been uprated last when does the warranty end should be three years if its still under you need to get it back to land rover asap good luck wyndyc
Post #476390 26th Nov 2015 3:04pm
Browny90

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Stornoway Grey
I have a pretty much constant whine... Ususally comes from the passanger seat, but sometimes I let her drive Wink My 1986 90 is currently on a full rebuild, with new chassis, Paint etc.. Very much a hybrid, TD5 Chassis, tub & bulkhead with a 200TDI and LT77 GB Painted in Stornoway Grey Smile 2 years off the road, but getting close to completion now
Post #476395 26th Nov 2015 3:50pm
wyndyc

Thank you all for your replies...

@Cupboard - the best way of describing it is that is sounds like on of these (!!):
http://www.clownantics.com/super-bowl-face...501-p.html

Good to know about the limiter on a 2.2 - I may yet have an unadulterated engine! I'll probably refrain from any mods until it comes back from its service/ goes out of warranty in April next year.

The noise does disappear when completely off the throttle, but comes back even 100rpm above idle

@Browny - It's done <20k miles...

I didn't realise that the warranty includes LR Assistance - I called them up at 1.30pm and they were here for 3pm Thumbs Up the mechanic say the hoses are fine and suspects the turbo bearings are on their way out. Suggested it is fine to keep driving until service next month. Gives me piece of mind, although still conscious it may go pop ahead of LR taking a closer look.

Fingers crossed until then!
Post #476416 26th Nov 2015 5:09pm
Buz

United Kingdom 1987 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Barolo Black
Browny90 wrote:
I have a pretty much constant whine... Ususally comes from the passanger seat, but sometimes I let her drive Wink

What you doing letting her out the kitchen?
Post #476440 26th Nov 2015 7:14pm
PK1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Browny90 wrote:
I have a pretty much constant whine... Ususally comes from the passanger seat, but sometimes I let her drive Wink

Strange I have the exact same whine form mine Rolling with laughter Defender 110 TDCi XS SW
Range Rover Sport HSE
Post #476441 26th Nov 2015 7:17pm
Browny90

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 200 Tdi SW Stornoway Grey
It must be a common Land Rover (owners) issue.. Rolling with laughter

Although tbh, my wife enjoys it just as much as me, and she is s qualified welder, which helps when building a defender.. She likes her shiney new Freelander 2 though.. The defenders too drafty.. Laughing My 1986 90 is currently on a full rebuild, with new chassis, Paint etc.. Very much a hybrid, TD5 Chassis, tub & bulkhead with a 200TDI and LT77 GB Painted in Stornoway Grey Smile 2 years off the road, but getting close to completion now
Post #476496 26th Nov 2015 9:18pm
wyndyc

Quick update: local LR service centre took a look... as well as telling me there's a recall on the oil pump (and carrying out that work), they diagnosed a broken turbo - a small particle had passed through the turbo and broke a couple of the blades (!!). After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with LR, the turbo and intercooler are all being replaced under warranty. Get it back on Tuesday.

10/10 to service centre and LR

Thumbs Up
Post #479076 4th Dec 2015 3:37pm
dorsetsmith

well done Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #479079 4th Dec 2015 3:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1