↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Not running on all cylinders at cold start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dan_seed

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Bonatti Grey
Not running on all cylinders at cold start
I have a 2005 td5 which generally has been great but now the temps have dropped I have noticed a problem with cold start. It feels like it is not running in all cylinders and smokes quite a bit. I have then turned off the engine after about 1 mile of driving and restarted and this seems to fix the issue and it then runs fine!

Any ideas? Could it be a dud glow plug not sufficiently warming?
Post #472636 15th Nov 2015 10:14am
dorsetsmith

YES one of your four glow plugs isnt working

use the link below for help to test the glow plugs you can test them in place or out from the engine the only think is with the glow plugs on place remove all of the power plugs from the glow as they are wired in together in parallel and you will get readings from all of them if you do don't Exclamation

had the same problem with my 90 pick up on cold temp start up

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic40214-30.html

failed glow plug will not give any warning only the problem you have Exclamation
Post #472641 15th Nov 2015 10:25am
dan_seed

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Bonatti Grey
Thanks for the note back. I ordered some new glow plugs last night. But....... the saga now continues......

I had an early start this morning with a cold engine. I made sure i let the glow plug light go out and then turned off and on again to ensure fuel was fully primed......started first time with no issue.

I then notice about 20 mins into the motor way journey that it was running rough again. Pulling away from junctions was under powered but i made it to my destination. once i arrived i turned off and re started....it seemed to be running ok.

Is this a fuelling issue? The pump does make a good sound but it has been like that since i bought the car in march......What do you think?
Post #473180 16th Nov 2015 8:20pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Worth checking your MAP sensor.
I pulled this from a TD5 we had in at work the other day.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #473199 16th Nov 2015 9:00pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
I had similar problem - running on 4 when hot, when cold OK. Problem was in wires connecting to injectors - those small connectors were loose and had poor contact. After a bit of tweaking all is OK for more than 3 years.
Glow plugs are not necessary for TD5 - in -25°C it started OK, later I have discovered, all 4 glow plugs not working. After replacement, it is starting a bit better.
Try some diagnostics, it can help you finding the right problem. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "BlufĂ­nek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #473424 17th Nov 2015 11:30am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Td5 rough running?! This is a very common issue and can be remedied like this;

This list is broadly in order of easiest first, then most likely cause and least likely at the end. It is also based upon a vehicle without an egr system.

1) Check oils, filters and fluids
2) Check MAP and MAF by unplugging them one at a time and going for a run. If one or both of these are the problem the engine will run better immediately.
3) Check fuel filter and housing for leaks and corrosion. Especially between housing, washers and brass connectors. Housing is cast ally and just degrades over time allowing air in to the fuel system.
4)Check red plug of ECU for oil contamination. Make sure to pull out white pin guard and check behind. If oily flush out with contact cleaner (brake cleaner will do) and leave to drain on to blue roll over night.

If you have had to do 4) then move on and do 5) as well;

5) Replace injector harness and rocker gasket. Seal up harness plug with instant gasket to prolong life. Flush out exterior plug to ECU and allow to drain over night.

If this has not sorted the rough running go to 6);

6) Replace injector seals and o-rings.

7) Check fuel pressure regulator for leaks, diesel will be dripping down the drivers side of the engine block in to the ground. Replace if leaking. Best thing to do is go for a run, park up over night with piece of cardboard spread under the engine. Any drops can be traced from there.

Cool Drop fuel tank and check condition of intake filter. These can foul up with black bacterial gunge over time restricting flow and stressing the pump. If filter is fouled empty tank completely, clean out and refit. Whilst out check pipe work and replace damaged items.

9) Check glow plugs. Replace if faulty.

10) Check crank sensor. Replace if faulty.

In my experience the most likely cause of rough running is the injector harness followed by the injector seals. The harness I now replace at every major service and the injector seals every 18 - 24 months.

I have also had to replace the fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter housing due to leaks and dropped the tank cleaned it and the fuel pump as well. These however have been once off issues and have not been an issue since.

If you can help it avoid the cheaper pattern parts, this does not mean go genuine, but there is a good trade off between quality and price.

There is nothing worse than a rough running TD5 and nothing sweeter than when it is on song and pulling like a train...

Good luck. Thumbs Up
Post #473431 17th Nov 2015 11:47am
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Excellent summary Geobloke Thumbs Up
This isn't a issue for me at present but if it is this is a good assessment tool.
Tommo
Post #473564 17th Nov 2015 6:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1