↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Hello from a Newbie - Am I mad?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Aaarrghhhh.......

Don't do that to me now, Mr. Boots!

After all this encouragement, I finally go to pick up my new Defender tomorrow - Albeit it's 4 months old. Just to be original, it's a 110 USW (XS) in, er, Stornoway Grey... Embarassed

Only things I will say, now that I've let my heart overrule my head -

- If I have any more than a few minor problems in the first 6 months, I'm afraid it's going! I'm seriously hoping 2010 Defenders have a lot of niggles sorted. I AM prepared to live with SOME of the character of the Defender, but ultimately, I rely on my car, and living in a rural area, if I break down, public transport's not an option. A few years ago, after a couple of Lotus Esprits (ahh....the heady delights of life before children) I reached the realisation that I was no longer in a situation where three hours missed work because the car broke down was worth the thrill of driving!!

- One of the main ways i was able to justify this 'heart over head' purchase was the faxt that I should not lose too much money in 6 months if I did sell it.

- Hoping all the above are not necessary, and I enjoy the Defender as much as (most!) of you guys. Asked a friend of a couple of questions about his Defender (a 90 Puma XS) and his only problems (having done 63k miles in two years in it) have been a windscreen leak, and some surface rust on the rear cross member. Fingers crossed, big-time....

- Took the Golf on half-term break in the Lakes this week, went over a pot-hole, and got my FIFTH puncture this year so far (at 160 a pop)! Plus, the fact that the Golf's done nearly 70k miles in three years, means I can still get a reasonable p/x on it now, but next year will be too late.

Will post photos of my new purchase tomorrow!!

James
Post #43963 30th Oct 2010 6:08pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
good luck with your new 'toy'.

i was very nervous as well.

mine is a Jan 2010 regisitration which i bought in July. So far it has been absolutley fine, no issues at all. I have covered nearly 4k in it on various roads and made a few alterations - nothing too drastic.

i was chatting to the owner of a nearby LR Indie a week or so ago and he asked for a drive [i have HD suspension and we are looking at swapping to standard], anyway, he knows his LRs and told me that it was in perfect condidtion and [don't know how he could tell] said by the way it drove it had the latest ECU mappings and the 2010 onwards Puma's have all the early issues sorted.

I just hope he's right Whistle

I decided to stop worrying and enjoy. If it has problems it has loads of warranty left so no real issue.

Cheers BM52
Post #43967 30th Oct 2010 6:36pm
johnnyturbo2002

Spain 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Java Black
spudfan wrote:
Family car for 12 years was a 200 tdi 110 and it was-still is- great. Will do anything, anytime in whatever weather you want. Now the main car is a Puma 110. Absolutely stunning as a family car. Buckets of space,a joy to drive with no downside as far as we are concerned. Never had or never wanted a "normal" type family car. Why would I when I can have a Defender.Now we have two. I am relegated to the 200 tdi when not on family duty. You have one shot at this life. Don't muck it up by buying some mainstream "family" box on wheels. If you do, every time you meet a Defender on the road you will curse yourself for not having the courage to go that one step further and join us merry if somewhat odd Defender owners. Todays Puma is such a wonderful comfortable awe inspiring thing to drive you will not want to get out. Can't comment on the D4 as I have never driven one-why would I want to when I have a Defender(or two) to drive instead. Go on take that step-you know you really want to. Puma Defender 110 seven seat-THE FAMILY CAR and so much more.

so so so well said Thumbs Up 2008 Defender 110 60 year Edition (sold unfortunately)
IN the hunt for another Puma for the wifey!
2008 Kia Sorento LX 😁 2.5crdi
Post #43971 30th Oct 2010 7:41pm
szracer

Well, I got it!! Smile Smile

Great fun - Was so busy in it driving back, forgot to take photos. Will be rectified tomorrow!

First impressions (and apologies - I know some of these are 'they all do that' type points):

- Although I had ordered a soundproofing kit from Noisekiller, as yet unfitted (I do a LOT of miles), I am amazed at how generally quiet the Defender is, especially considering how little soundproofing there is as standard, and the fact that my Utlility SW is basically an unlined metal box behind the 2nd row seats! I'm intending to do a non-scientific recording of the 110 driving the same stretch of road, before and after the soundproofing, to let others compare.

- Still getting used the gearing, and the fact that I am always in a higher gear than I thought.

- The radio is not as pants as I thought, at least with an iPod connected. Not brilliant either, mind you... Confused

- That interior rear view mirror seems awful small. Perhaps I may look for a larger one.

- Bit of a pain not having anywhere obvious to rest my left foot, and it can't be good to leave it on the clutch pedal.

- My 4-year old son loved it - indeed he was asleep within 15 mins. of sitting in it!

- My wife hates it, big time!! Rolling Eyes Her main beef is the lack of elbow room. In fact, she is still in a huff as I type this! She asked me if the seat can be changed for something more comfortable! Now I've ordered mud-rails, which should help a bit, but....has anyone moved their passenger seat a couple of cm to the right, to increase clearance on the passenger door panel?

- Nothing's gone wrong. Yet. Laughing

- Filled up with diesel at a petrol station near the dealers. According to the gauge, I've done 100 miles for 1/8 tank of diesel. This can't be right?

- Lights are not as bad as I feared. Still not up to the Xenons on the Golf, though (you can't have everything).

- The General Grabber TRs fitted seem a lot less 'positive' on wet roads than the Grabber AT2s I have on my van

- Still thinking that in an ideal world, I'd have this plus an 'everyday' car. It's early days though, and I suspect it may grow on me more after more miles!

Hope I've made the right decision...! Neutral
Post #44056 31st Oct 2010 9:35pm
spudfan

Ireland 
You have to look on a Defender as the "norm". I was lucky enough never having owned a "normal" car before our first Land Rover. Everything about the Defender is normal to me. I just compare the current Puma to our previous Defender and it rates very highly. You either accept the Defender as the norm or you will be torn between the two worlds.
My wife has never driven a "normal" car so she knows no better. She or I do not find the lack of elbow room that others mention. Must be that we adjusted to the Defender position as a matter of course. Drive the Defender long enough and you will forget about it's quirks and idiosyncracies. Going from a car to the Defender and back may mean that you will never adjust. Drive the Defender exclusively for two weeks then try a car. You will feel very strange and just want to get back into the Defender.Anyway welcome to the real world. I've been resident in it for years and have no intention of leaving. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #44067 1st Nov 2010 12:15am
Mr.Boots

Ireland 
Good luck with it dude!!
You do get used to the lack of elbow room and the way it dirves on those high tyres.
My wife hates driving it also Rolling Eyes

Ps; if you do find it too noisey, turn up the stereo.
Post #44069 1st Nov 2010 1:23am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Aye you need to keep your foot left of the clutch - except when you need the clutch of course Wink Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #44103 1st Nov 2010 7:40pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
szracer wrote:

- That interior rear view mirror seems awful small. Perhaps I may look for a larger one.

I fitted a range rover dipping mirror with map lights to my defender, it's lots wider and has variable dip on it .. nice and it's one accessory dgardel does not have (yet) Laughing
Post #44106 1st Nov 2010 9:17pm
Shax

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
szracer wrote:

- My 4-year old son loved it - indeed he was asleep within 15 mins. of sitting in it!

- My wife hates it, big time!! Rolling Eyes Her main beef is the lack of elbow room. In fact, she is still in a huff as I type this!

- Filled up with diesel at a petrol station near the dealers. According to the gauge, I've done 100 miles for 1/8 tank of diesel. This can't be right?

- Lights are not as bad as I feared. Still not up to the Xenons on the Golf, though (you can't have everything).

- The General Grabber TRs fitted seem a lot less 'positive' on wet roads than the Grabber AT2s I have on my van

- Still thinking that in an ideal world, I'd have this plus an 'everyday' car. It's early days though, and I suspect it may grow on me more after more miles!

I got mine 5 weeks ago, and loving it.. It's a Jan 2010 model, had 7700 miles on it when I got it. My last car was a Meriva VXR. The brats were ALWAYS arguing about who sits in front, now they both sit in the back with no arguments.
My better half hates it, but only when I have it leaning over on a dodgy greenlane nearby! Otherwise, she loves it too!
The lack of elbow room is very subjective, I like it that I can actually rest my arm on the door.. Some like it, some hate it..
Nowts gone wrong yet.. But only done 1300 miles in it.. Fuel consumption is great, I am getting a tad under 30MPG, which is better than my last car.
I think the lights are quite good, but I have swapped the bulbs for some high output H4's today, need to drive it in the dark to compare the standard to the new ones.
The GG TR's are better then what I expected..

My Defender is my everyday car. Yes it has some quirks, but I get more and more enthusiastic every day.. Just wish I had a spare couple of grand to put all the shiny bells and whistles on it that I see in the mags!
I bought it because I always wanted one. No regrets from me. Very Happy ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #44123 2nd Nov 2010 12:38am
spudfan

Ireland 
Congratulations and welcome to the fold. Once bitten there is no going back. Enjoy it for what it is.

Shax wrote:
szracer wrote:

- My wife hates it, big time!! Rolling Eyes Her main beef is the lack of elbow room. In fact, she is still in a huff as I type this!

I got mine 5 weeks ago, and loving it.. It's a Jan 2010 model, had 7700 miles on it when I got it. My last car was a Meriva VXR. The brats were ALWAYS arguing about who sits in front, now they both sit in the back with no arguments.
My better half hates it, but only when I have it leaning over on a dodgy greenlane nearby! Otherwise, she loves it too!
The lack of elbow room is very subjective, I like it that I can actually rest my arm on the door.. Some like it, some hate it..
Nowts gone wrong yet.. But only done 1300 miles in it.. Fuel consumption is great, I am getting a tad under 30MPG, which is better than my last car.
I think the lights are quite good, but I have swapped the bulbs for some high output H4's today, need to drive it in the dark to compare the standard to the new ones.
The GG TR's are better then what I expected..

My Defender is my everyday car. Yes it has some quirks, but I get more and more enthusiastic every day.. Just wish I had a spare couple of grand to put all the shiny bells and whistles on it that I see in the mags!
I bought it because I always wanted one. No regrets from me. Very Happy
 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #44176 2nd Nov 2010 6:27pm
szracer

Thanks for the words of encouragement, chaps!

I'm slowly getting used to it....am already chucking it round corners a lot more quickly than I was at the start! Smile

200 miles down, hopefully thousands more to go!! Very Happy

Only thing I have noticed - No-one seems to wave at other Landys round here (N. Cotswolds). Probably 'cause they're common as muck (and normally covered in muck) round here! 
2010 110 XS USW (the slow one)
1960 Alfa Romeo Giulietta SZ (the fast one)
2005 Ducati ST3
1954 Sunbeam S8
Post #44177 2nd Nov 2010 6:31pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
szracer wrote:
Thanks for the words of encouragement, chaps!

I'm slowly getting used to it....am already chucking it round corners a lot more quickly than I was at the start! Smile

200 miles down, hopefully thousands more to go!! Very Happy

Only thing I have noticed - No-one seems to wave at other Landys round here (N. Cotswolds). Probably 'cause they're common as muck (and normally covered in muck) round here!

You'll find that.
Some times the most unlike will wave/wave back when the tricked out landys don't. A bit odd but thats just how it is.

It gets even better when you start waving at people in defenders, then you realise you not in sure so you look like atit waving at some randoms from a car. Whistle Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black

Last edited by BigRuss on 2nd Nov 2010 7:05pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #44178 2nd Nov 2010 7:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
szracer wrote:
...am already chucking it round corners a lot more quickly than I was at the start! Smile

I took a corner a bit quick last weekend with my snow tyres in the rain, the back came out Shocked

( Note to self: Take it easy with snow tyres in the rain )
Post #44179 2nd Nov 2010 7:04pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Many,many years ago when I got me first car,a 90 turbo diesel I got chatting to someone in a car park who also had a Land rover. This you will find happens frequently. Anyway he said to me-"Don't you know that you have to be mad to drive one of these?" I regarded myself as most suitably qualified then to drive one and I am possibly even more qualified now. Never ever considered owning anything else. It was a dream come true to buy the first one in 1990 and with the current Puma I am still living the dream. Very Happy 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #44180 2nd Nov 2010 7:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123