↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Water Ingress Rust :windscreen and Bulkhead
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
nitram17

Water Ingress Rust :windscreen and Bulkhead
I was looking at the windscreen rubber today ..it has been a dry day but it rained yesterday ......i inspected the outside of the windscreen rubber by lifting it with fingers and sure enough it is damp in all areas while i also lifted the inner surface of the rubber seal and there was no obvious water but the rubber is easy to lift and the rubber does not spring back very well its almost like the glass is too thin.........As the windscreen surround is aluminium and the i assume the presence of a litttl e water is not an immediate worry but i assume that the biggest problem is the water running down into the bulkhead.......How do folk on here get sealent into the bottom part of the windscreen rubber as the aluminium drainage channel appears to be in the way?Where do the pumas rot? is it the corners of the bulkhead or do the rot in the middle as well......The fake bulkhead hinges appear to be a problem; have they always been alloy? as the my2015 are!
Post #440504 26th Jul 2015 7:09pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Details of leaking seals and crud collecting underneath are well documented......only real way of sorting is get the windscreen out, channel cleaned, new seal and sealant applied on refitting the glass. Otherwise you'll simply be sealing the crud in that's already there.

K9F wrote:
Autoglass...You have no worries whatsoever, also get the seal off and the area thoroughly cleaned. I had two replaced in short succession by Autoglass and it is an ideal time to get the crud cleaned out under the seal and get it sealed correctly.
My advice would be to be in attendance and read carefully the issue of dirt ingress in the thread below, especially my posts and Fekete's on pages 1 and 2....

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic2126.html

As for the false hinges they too rot out and can let water in. I bought some stainless replacements from OX4X4 and made butyl gaskets. If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #440517 26th Jul 2015 8:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1