Home > Puma (Tdci) > Ignition Issue?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Nobby

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Ignition Issue?
Hi All,

I have a very strange failure, put key in barrel turn to allow glow plug, all dash lights, when I then turn the key all power goes. No dash lights, radio dies as does the check temp and the Scangauge. All basically revert to factory default, even trip counter zero's out. If I turn the ignition to the off position its hit or miss whether life comes back.
I've removed the key, locked the doors which does work, unlock, key into barrel, dash lights up and then 50-50 whether it fires up or all goes dead. The last two occasions has resulted in the Scangauge screen going blank but backlit.
When it starts apart from resetting check temp and radio everything is fine. I've checked batteries, earth but can't locate the fault.

Is the ignition the correct area I need to look, should I take it apart?

Nobby _______________________________
Puma Defender 90
Post #429480 8th Jun 2015 1:14pm
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
just a wild thought here.....

do you have the scan guage on all the time. have you noticed the screen going off briefly or have you experienced it suggesting a low battery when you start up?
Post #429483 8th Jun 2015 1:20pm
munch90

England 
sounds like bad connection , main earth , battery terminal etc

or knackered battery
Post #429497 8th Jun 2015 2:09pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
It is a wild thought Caterham. The Scangauge automatically dies once the ignition is off. When moving key to position 2 the Scangauge will illuminate after a while but then goes out again unless vehicle is running. I would say that with your trip meter zeroing my first port of call would be battery. Measure the voltage at the terminals before and during cranking as a start and check your terminals and underseat relays.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #429498 8th Jun 2015 2:11pm
Nobby

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Thanks one and all for the replies.
Batteries are both fine, charging to main at 14.4v, all battery connections were also okay. Checked the earth again fine, time to scratch head. Don't know why but cause seemed as posts stated earth or battery! So not seeing what was wrong or readings as expected I tried to start the engine. First few times all okay then nothing, so went to find SWMBO'd to crank it over and see is I could see anything.
So she leans in turns key, nothing jumps in, all dash lights etc return, so I stare into the battery box. Nothing amiss recheck battery terminals, fine, placed had on Neg cable main battery, it moves, very easily, pull rubber boot back connection to battery is fine. Hold Neg cable light pull and it moves.....check again, pull boot up over cable and yes the wing nut is loose.retighten and use locktight.
Starts every time no issues now.

Nobby _______________________________
Puma Defender 90
Post #429639 8th Jun 2015 10:39pm
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
have you checked the battery on your key fob?

if it is on the way out it will prevent your engine from turning over even with a lit up dashboard.

hope this helps
Post #429698 9th Jun 2015 10:33am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Nobby wrote:
retighten and use locktight. Starts every time no issues now. Nobby

Farmer it looks like it's sorted! Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #429704 9th Jun 2015 10:58am
custom90

United Kingdom 
I've had it before with the same negative terminal on the battery and said clamp.
It seems to me that either the clamp is slightly too large thus once tightened all the way up its still loose or the battery post is a shade small.
As they are lead obviously multiple removals have probably constricted it and made it smaller hence the poor fit.
I took the clamp off on mine and carefully gave the battery post a few hammer taps to widen it a little and flatten it a mm or two larger dia.
Never had a problem since.
Post #429710 9th Jun 2015 11:14am
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
K9F wrote:
Nobby wrote:
retighten and use locktight. Starts every time no issues now. Nobby

Farmer it looks like it's sorted! Thumbs Up

my battery fob fade was intermitant on the way out - could I find any 2032 batteries in North Devon on holiday!
Post #429714 9th Jun 2015 11:59am
Caterham

Nobby.

You absolute star! Bow down

Mine was also loose....its popped off no effort at all.....prob is I can't undo nut to refix it properly Sad
Post #429818 9th Jun 2015 8:48pm
Caterham

managed to undo the fastening nut (had to use some effort with two 9" spanners.

the muppets who had been at this before had clearly shagged about trying to get it tight wiggling the connector on the battery terminal to the point where they had worn down the battery terminal with swarf left at the base. no matter how much the bolt was tightened the clamp was reducing in size / gripping the battery terminal.

out with the dremel / mini angle grinder and I increased the gap of the split on the clamp so now when you tighten the bolt the clamp has a greater effect - one nice tight terminal / connection.

put it all back together and went for a drive expecting great results;

first problem the ultraguage had stopped working?

and Censored the alternator light flashes on, then again when I depressed the clutch !!! Censored Censored

not only that the temp guage starts going mental, and the rev counter Censored some more !!

and the TC lights comes on and stays on !! Big Cry

figured there must be another poor earth somewhere......

anyhow a very knowledgeable chap on here (thanks mate) mentioned it was unheard of for things connected to the OBDII to interfere with stuff....unplugged it while driving along and hey presto back to 'normal'. TC stayed on but after next drive cycle it was gone Thumbs Up
Post #429874 10th Jun 2015 6:43am
munch90

England 
I know its fixed , but I personally would cut the terminal off and replaced it with another one , as sometimes even if just over tightened the clamps crack and go loose and being you have opened the split up you have put more strain on it

cut it off and get a ring terminal crimped on and fit a better terminal something like this eBay item number:

eBay Item No. 291249723563

or could use it as a excuse to fit a battery isolator switch at same time for extra security layer
Post #429875 10th Jun 2015 6:55am
Caterham

thanks munch90,

will certainly think about doing just that. I will obviously be keeping an eye on it. although I've made the split bigger it's more a case I've made the split parallel. previously the split was almost closed at the top before you even tried to tighten it and hence you couldn't actually tighten it much at all.

Its nice n secure now and needed only a reasonable amount of force to get it like that....very different to trying to undo the bolt.

I don't have suitable sized crimps for this size of cable so could solder a lug on the end etc. - will leave for the time being.

while I sort the next job (front axle).

back to the obdII - I presume the scan guage must have packed in ? wouldn't be a fuse gone (I quickly checked the ones under the steering wheel)?
Post #429882 10th Jun 2015 7:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1