↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Hello from a Newbie - Am I mad?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
MrFlips wrote:
........................ That said, with the turning circle getting it up to the higher floors can be entertaining.

My 90 was aweful when i got it. i found that the steering stops were way out. once adjusted i now have quite a tight turning circle and no issues in car parks.

the same was true of a 110 i test drive as well. i wondered whether LR set them like that in case anyone ordered 265's ! BM52
Post #42764 16th Oct 2010 9:45pm
szracer

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
I see your point of view (except possibly the marital advice) Whistle ...

However, while I can understand that car parks should not be the hurdle, in my case it would mean me having to fork out £100 per week in parking fees to park in another car park half a km away! This kind of does start to be stupid.

Saying that, I've now done a web search, and have emailed Twisted Performance about their suspension kits (which allegedly as well as improving on-road manners, lower the 110 by 30mm or so), so I AM looking for a solution!

Why ARE 90 CSWs lower than 110 CSWs? Is it the rear suspension?

James

110SEB wrote:
Car parks should not be the hurdle. There must be an alternative. True, we have to avoid certain carparks but once you have an alternative... sorted.

I've just bought a Brownchurch roof rack and now if i see a height barrier i just turn around without looking at the figures.

As a divorce lawyer myself, I suggest that if your Mrs isn't keen on the Defender, divorce her.
Post #42768 16th Oct 2010 10:28pm
bm52

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
when i was trying to make up my mind i test drove both.

i parked the Puma next to my 300tdi and the height was virtually the same at 1.9m, but when i parked the 110 XS next to the 300tdi it was higher, worked out at about 2.15m. i assume they have different springs in the rear?

in the end i chose the 90 because i have a 5 seater FL if i need more seats for a long run and the 90 was mainly for my use. a 110 was also very long in some of my local car parks.

i chose the 90 and hav'nt looked back but if i had need the extra space i would have bought a 110 and lived with any minor inconvenience.

whichever you choose i can't see you will be dissapointed - Thumbs Up Thumbs Up BM52
Post #42769 16th Oct 2010 10:53pm
110SEB

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
110 XSs have high density springs at the back hence the height.

Why do open air carparks choose 2m as a height limit? It seems arbitrary to me. Except perhaps to keep tatty commercial transits etc out.
Post #42776 17th Oct 2010 8:36am
spudfan

Ireland 
My wife (who has been less than sympathetic of my 'need' for a Defender) pointed out that the car park we use for work, at which we get free subsidised parking, and is next door to work, has a height limit of......2.0m! Plus, most of the places we go to do our shopping have the same height l

There is no denying it this can be a pain but I always aviod carparks with height restrictions. Even if you have technically just enough clearance sometimes the carpark or entrance can be resurfaced and the height restriction not adjusted. Never ever trust a height restriction bar implicitly if it is marked close to your maximum height. I was checking out an underground carpark. While the entrance height was fine all the internar piping that was hanging from the roof was below the entrance height. So I do see your point. Still the Puma is worth walking that extra bit from parking somewhere else. Your wife may question your need for a Puma but once she test drives it you probably will not see the driver's seat again.I am talking from experience here.
The turning circle on the 110 is large but it is only large compared to that of a small car. My wife has never driven a car so she knows no better. She did her test in a 110 tdi and passed first time. She can park the Puma in places you would think twice about parking a Mini. This is because as it is all she has driven a 110 is second nature to her.The mirrors are large and very good. Once you buy a 110 just forget about cars. This is something special and once driven you will soon get into the way of it. If it will help you can have our phone number and your wife can talk to my wife regarding life with a Puma.Hope this is the straw that pushes the scales in the direction I know you want it to go! 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #42793 17th Oct 2010 11:36am
Shax

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I've only had my Defender 90XS 3 weeks, and absolutely love it, the kids think it's brilliant, and my better half hasn't complained yet!! My previous car was a Meriva VXR.. Very fast, great on twisty A roads, brilliant for annoying the chavs but useless on anything bumpy or slippery. Last winter was a nightmare, bloody traction control was shyte!

Re the carpark height restrictions, I carry a Fluke laser measure with me when I go out.. Any suspect carpark barriers get a quick "lasering" to see the exact height. So far, all the carparks have been OK to get into in my 90. It's a ball ache to have to get out and measure, but it only takes a minute or so, and once you've done it, the barrier aint gonna shrink in the rain!!

I've also found that the radio aerial is slightly taller than the roof of my 90, and I sometimes use that to gauge the barriers height. OK, it may bust off at some time, but it's cheaper than a new roof!

Do the right thing, ditch the hot hatch, get a Defender and have some real driving fun. Very Happy ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #42863 17th Oct 2010 11:05pm
szracer

OK, OK.....I think you've all persuaded me!! Shocked

If it all goes t*ts up, I've got you to blame (and where there's blame, there's a claim...) Smile

Waiting to hear back from my accountant regarding how I sort this from a tax point of view, but then should be 'good to go'!

Will keep you posted!

Is it normal to be making a 'shopping list' before I even get the Defender?

James
Post #42906 18th Oct 2010 1:20pm
szracer

Forgot to ask:

If (unlikely I'm sure!) it proves to be not the right car/truck for me, and I decided to trade in after a year, am I going to get crucified on trade-in.

The Auto Express review of the Defender from April this year has only one comment, from someone woh was offered £10k trade-in on a 1-year old Defender XS!

Excuse my stupid questions!

J
Post #42914 18th Oct 2010 1:39pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
It shouldn't be as bad as some. They hold their value very well. It'll be down to the dealer - it might be worth agreeing with him a minimum value after 6 months before you sign.

Regards car parks. I'm afraid I've added a roof rack to mine so I'm scuppered. I managed to beach it in the first month I had it going into a car park that I used to use regularly in my 90. The height was the same but the extra length + a ramp on the entrance meant I topped out. Embarassed Never mind - that's why it's aluminium Very Happy

D4 is undoubtedly a stunning vehicle but you'll forever be caught in the "latest thing" race: is your satnav 3D? Have you got the extra settings on the terrain response?... With a Defender, it never really changes unless you decide to add bits to it yourself (which you will Wink ). You also don't have to worry about it too much. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #43047 19th Oct 2010 4:20pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Just a note on re-sale/ trade in. The dealer offered £16K for mine when it was 1 year old.... that is a £16K loss. But I have seen many of lower spec sell for £25K+. Private sale would be better.

Glyn Sheep
Post #43048 19th Oct 2010 4:54pm
szracer

Telling the dealer 'yes' tomorrow! Should have it in 10 days or so (away until then).

Another Stornoway Grey 110 Utility SW XS to join the many on here..... Very Happy

Will keep you posted!
Post #43082 19th Oct 2010 10:08pm
alantd

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Good choice! I'm sure you'll love it - just like the rest of us. One that started out as a 2.4 TDCi 110 XS
+ New Defender 110 First Edition
Post #43092 19th Oct 2010 11:05pm
Froogle-Yorkshireman

2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Good decision Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

At least other Defender owners will wave to you - that wouldn't happen in a Disco

You will love it and live longer as it is guaranteed to put a smile on your face every time you climb in the cab. Proud owner 110 Utility XS
Ex RR Sport HST V8
Ex Td5 90
Post #43839 28th Oct 2010 10:00pm
Mr.Boots

Ireland 
In one year of Puma ownership....

New clutch
New diff seals
Leaking ball joints
New fuel pump
New vacume pump
New window seals
Various diagnostics plug ins
New side steps (rust)
Rear door dropping on hinges
Roof leaking
Various other more minor bits and pieces....

In one year of Land Cruiser ownership....

1 Puncture...

Dont get me wrong, i do love my puma, but there is a limit to what my sanity can take, my advice .....keep the golf and buy a cheap TD5 for the bad weather. 20k a year in a defender wont be easy.
Or buy a Land Cruiser.
Post #43855 29th Oct 2010 2:21am
AlanH

Australia 
I saw great looking Puma (that's what we call them in Oz) today and started talking to the Cook about possibly returning to a Defender after 2 years of owning a Toyota Prado. Don't know if that's what they're called in the UK.
But after reading Mr Boots response detailing all his probs., I don't think I will. I originally went to Toyota following a breakdown a >1000 kilometres from home and it taking 3 weeks to get our Td5 Defender plus our camper back to Perth for repair because LRA had closed virtually all repair facilities in country Australia.
Now that ain't funny in a country as big as this with a great big lump of it being really remote where you can be well over a thousand kays away from any assistance at all.
I did buy a 300Tdi Def. but got sick of the whole thing and went to the "darkside" as we say.
I'm not saying a Tojo won't breakdown but if it does I've a better chance of getting something done than with a Land Rover.
And I really don't want the hassle of constant trips to the main stealer to get things fixed which should never happen on something as old in a lot of it's design that a Defender is.
As someone else said, keep what you've got and buy an older 4 wheel drive for emergencies in bad weather. Buy with your head not your heart which is the advice I should have listened to years ago.Shocked
Alan.
Post #43879 29th Oct 2010 12:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>