↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma - Front Middle Seat legal?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MrOl

Puma - Front Middle Seat legal?
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of an authoritative source on whether a middle front seat in a Puma (2 years old, already registered) is legal or not. Scouring the web brings up a whole range of views. A few points:

- I've spoken to a LR dealer who fits them who says they are both legal and insurable
- I've spoken to a supplier who will supply them, with a 3 or 4 point seat belt, but seemed a bit unclear on whether it is legal or not
- I've spoken to an insurer who is happy to insure a 6 seat 110 Utility Wagon
- Plenty of people on web suggest that as the middle seat wasn't an option for the Puma it is therefore not 'type approved' and hence would not be legal
- The points system for the Radically Altered Vehicle test seems to suggest that an extra seat wouldn't qualify as radical alteration and hence doesn't need re-registering
- The Individual Vehicle Inspection stuff is quite unclear - particularly around whether it applies to already UK registered vehicles
- Possibly the MOT man saying it is ok would be sufficient
- The vehicle registration document would need to be updated to show 6 seats not 5 - but in theory this is just done by notifying the DVLA

So it seems to fall into a bit of a grey area and haven't been able to get a definitive answer on legality....obviously don't want to install if illegal but keen to do so if it is legal (and I realise leg room will be awful, gear stick close to seat etc).

It's definitely been done as the photos show below....

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #425271 21st May 2015 8:54am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I'm thinking that the answer from your insurance company would give you the comfort to fit. It would have to be a chance in a million if you were stopped by the police and challenged on it.

Would you also have to change the V5? If you put in an application to change then you could see whether they would or would not do it?

Out of interest who was the insurance company?
Post #425274 21st May 2015 9:13am
MrOl

It was Lancaster Insurance (a broker I think). The only reason for the concern is that, in a worst case and you had a bad accident, apparently the insurance company might still use it as an excuse to not pay out if you hadn't had the right approvals...hence trying to find out what, if any (!), actual approvals are needed.....
Post #425276 21st May 2015 9:26am
Mjibex

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Loire Blue
In my mind it is very simple.

It is not legal with a lap strap. From 2007 EU legislation changed to mandate 3 point seat belts on all seats (hence one of the reasons for the Puma & its change of seat layout); and why no new car since then has had a centre rear lap strap.

With a properly engineered/tested 3 or 4 point belt/harness that is declared to your insurance company, it would think is fine.

Mark.
Post #425277 21st May 2015 9:31am
Tribord

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Zermatt Silver
Changing into 2nd and 4th gear could be interesting for both driver and passenger Embarassed
Post #425287 21st May 2015 10:13am
MrOl

Mjibex wrote:
In my mind it is very simple.

It is not legal with a lap strap. From 2007 EU legislation changed to mandate 3 point seat belts on all seats (hence one of the reasons for the Puma & its change of seat layout); and why no new car since then has had a centre rear lap strap.

With a properly engineered/tested 3 or 4 point belt/harness that is declared to your insurance company, it would think is fine.

Mark.

This was the belt I was thinking of:-
http://www.exmoortrimshop.com/store/defend...etail.html

When you say 'tested' above - does that apply to the belt in isolation or the combination of belt and vehicle together?
Post #425297 21st May 2015 10:39am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Several issues.

You must use a 3-point belt. I believe the belt mounting points must be type approved, which is clearly an issue. The belt you've linked to looks unsuitable to me for two reasons. 1. If the belt isn't attached to the seat back in the shoulder area, it will not adequately restrain the upper body. 2. If it is attached, the seat back must be strong enough to restrain the body. Not insuperable but not easy. As noted above, insurance may be an issue.

Finally have you ever tried riding in the midfle seat? Unless you're a legless midget it really isn't much fun!
Post #425350 21st May 2015 5:31pm
MrOl

Insurance doesn't seem to be an issue oddly. However the type approval on the fixing points I think must be - as it won't have been done by LR. Anyone know what you would have to do to have it approved - is it just inspection by the MOT man or more than that?
Post #425400 21st May 2015 8:45pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
Quote:
hanging into 2nd and 4th gear could be interesting for both driver and passenger

Its not that bad actually. I usually get the girlfriend to use the centre seat when required.

Just have to try and fold your forearm in the middle a bit. And don't elbow her in the boob Shocked Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #425430 21st May 2015 10:11pm
alby

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Not sure of the legal implications, however having had a series three with a centre seat which I regularly used with three of us across the front I'm very aware of the practicalities of using it.

Is it something you really need to do?

I only say this as personally I found that There was a real lack of space in a series three for the mid seat passenger, there was nowhere for feet, legs and knees, which made gear changes, erm tricky.

Also worth bearing in mind a series 3 had a much less deep dashboard (fore to aft), and a much smaller transmission tunnel, both in terms of height and width so there was more space than in a puma defender to start with.

Gear changes were difficult too, with a lack of elbow and arm room for the driver, although I think the throw of the puma gearstick isn't as long as in a series.

Mind you I'm 6'3" 18st and broad shouldered, but my two shooting buddies were both 10st and short arses.

Just my two pence worth.
Post #425434 21st May 2015 10:18pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Do you really a centre seat? What if you have an accident? 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #425508 22nd May 2015 10:33am
MrOl

Re: accident....that's why I want to make sure the safety belt is correct and secure. Assuming a workable solution can be found with a 3 or four point belt, I can't see why it would be any less safe than the driver/passenger seat?
Post #425516 22nd May 2015 11:00am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Maybe the fact that there will be considerably less space for legs and feet for the middle seat passenger plus the close presence of gear levers and handbrake make the position inherently less safe. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #425550 22nd May 2015 1:12pm
andy---doe

United Kingdom 
I nearly didn’t buy a Puma engine Defender because of this issue. I think the 3rd seat option on my TD5 was really useful and regularly had both children in the front with no issues.
I too looked at the option of fitting a centre seat and decided it wasn’t worth the hassle because of the belt issues and the diff lock touching the seat.
What I did however purchase is a Defender with a forward facing, folding rear seat (with the correct seat belt.) I notified the insurance company in writing of this modification and it didn’t pose a problem.
Post #426118 25th May 2015 2:19pm
MrOl

Yup thought of this as an option but quite severely limits the space available for stuff in the back....so now on the hunt for a TD5 utility wagon...as third seat is legal and will fit a four point harness to make safe and secure. If anyone has seen one, let me know.
Post #426191 25th May 2015 7:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1