↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > EGT temp gauge - anybody has one with the 2.2 TD4 ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
sraosha

Switzerland 
Hello,

Before I install my AEM sensor some questions regarding best location:

Of course the manifold before the turbo would be most accurate, but then this seems to risky for me in regards of cracking.

Read somewhere the recommendation to use the short piece after the turbo and before the cat-pipe connector - which should be ok, but is hard to get to.

Since I am anyways changing the cat-pipe for a decat pipe, would it make sense to install the probe into the very top end of the decat pipe? I mean it's just a few centimeters further down the exhaust system and shouldn't make such a temperature difference, no?

This would be the easiest way to work on it. However the decat pipe is only 1.5 mm thick - so I will need a piece welded to it? Or would carefully denting a plain area on the pipe work to then fit the probe with internal and external nuts? Any other suggestions?

Main issue for me is not so much measuring an absolute temperature, but getting relative data to judge the burden on the engine.

Cheers,
Post #423634 14th May 2015 10:11pm
SupraAyf

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Orkney Grey
Hi Sraosha,

Never put the EGT probe before the Turbo because the turbo internals will smash to bits should the probe break for any reason.

I have used AEM on all of my performance cars and I would recommend that you position the AEM quage between 20 and 30 inches from your turbo manifold.

You will need to weld a bung (which comes with the kit) at a 35-degree angle from vertical to ensure that the gauge doesn't get clogged with crap.

The AEM is a simple fit and looks quite cool too so it gets my vote.

Hope this helps,

Andrew - Andrew -

Last edited by SupraAyf on 17th May 2015 10:49pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #424174 17th May 2015 3:42pm
sraosha

Switzerland 
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the tip!

"20-30 inches from the turbo manifold" …would then mean already in the decat pipe, no?

Thanks also for mentioning the 35º back-facing angle. First time I read about that; makes sense.

Now I only need to find a welder here in Dar who is able to weld SS in a decent manner. Hmm…

Cheers,

Claus (sraosha)
Post #424270 17th May 2015 8:25pm
SupraAyf

Hi Claus,

The reading will not be 100% accurate because of the distance from the manifold, but, that being said, you can always add circa 50 degrees to the reading if you want to be picky. The thing to remember is that probes don't last forever so from my experience you'll get approximately 25-30,000 miles from the probe before it needs replacing.

There are many EGT gauges on the market but I reckon that AEM is the standard to beat.

All the best!

Andrew - Andrew -
Post #424319 17th May 2015 10:44pm
sraosha

Switzerland 
EGT probe for eternity
Hi Andrew,

How would I recognize a failing probe? Is the gauge then showing no temperature at all or is it a slow clogging up kind of a thing?

Adding something like 50º to get the accurate temp is what I had expected. I guess I will quickly build up my own reference model and am more keen on quickly seeing spikes above average that then need attention. I believe, that's the main purpose of the thing.

Once the bung is welded in it should be easy to swap the ol probe for a new one.

Cheers,

Claus
Post #424398 18th May 2015 11:29am
SupraAyf

Hi Claus,

You will identify a failing probe by an instant variation in the reading compared to the norm. If the probe is placed before the turbo then the shattering of the turbo blades will be the tell-tale sign; i.e. as the probe tip breaks off and enters the turbo wheel, hence the reason why the probe should always be placed after the turbo.

FYI: The probe fails when the probe tip breaks off from its main body due to the constant duress placed on it by the heat levels.

Hope this helps,

All the best,

Andrew - Andrew -
Post #424593 18th May 2015 9:18pm
sraosha

Switzerland 
Hi Andrew,

Yes thanks once more for the valuable info, the kind which is of course not part of any installation manual;-)

Now I only have to find a SS welder here in Tanzania…

Cheers,

Claus
Post #424616 18th May 2015 10:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12