↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Uni dissertation on fun off road vehicles!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PCA42

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
Uni dissertation on fun off road vehicles!
Since a lot of you members on here will have an interest in off road stuff, if anyone could fill out my questionnaire I'd be grateful.

I'm trying to build up an idea of what people would want for a small, two-seat, rear-engine off road vehicle and what they may use one for (for example an Ariel Nomad). The idea is to create a target book for designing one.

https://www.snapsurveys.com/wh/s.asp?k=142730062715

Click image to enlarge
 Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
1972 Series III 88" 2.25P
Post #410897 25th Mar 2015 8:23pm
lambert.the.farmer

England 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Rutland Red
Done. Though the comments section could be longer. Ideally for my use on the farm something like the jimny but lighter with some covered load area would be good. Lighter means better on fuel and being able to get on the land sooner without making a mess. also super serious brakes so it could be rated to tow 1500kg or more would be great as would separate crawler gearing and a positive diff locker to be able to climb up wet lanes with said trailer. also easy access to and from would be good and controls designed to be used by gloved hands would complement a hoseable interior. thinking about it more if it were electric powered that would be good too as it would be nice and stealth for not spooking the livestock and with a suitable motor it would obviate the need for a crawler box as it would have enough torque to creep about and also keep up with road traffic.

Good luck with the project. Rhubarb and custard let fly with their secret weapon.
Post #410924 25th Mar 2015 9:16pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Where does a non-pickup Defender fit in to Q3? Is it an SUV? Mine certainly isn't all that sporting Very Happy

I think what would be really awesome is four wheel steering.

Last edited by Cupboard on 25th Mar 2015 10:16pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #410948 25th Mar 2015 10:06pm
TDCi Guy

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Keswick Green
Done. Good luck with the dissy, I graduated ORVD at Harper last year. Thumbs Up Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #410953 25th Mar 2015 10:14pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
Done. Good luck.
Post #410989 25th Mar 2015 11:30pm
PCA42

Cheers for the comments chaps! Taken onboard Lambert, not sure how to make the comments section longer, never realised it had a word limit!

Cupboard, I'd class a SW Defender as an 'SUV' as I couldn't really come up with a specific category, I wouldn't like calling mine one either as it sounds rubbish Laughing

And ah right another Harper lad! I'll be glad when it's all over, I'm tired of acedemia now! Laughing

I'm glad this forum is as great as it is. I put this on PistonHeads too to try and get to a more general vehicle enthusiast audience, but it got deleted as they apparently don't allow surveys Big Cry Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
Post #411018 26th Mar 2015 1:39am
LiftedDisco

Done...

Are you on BSc or BEng - our daughter is just finishing her first year at HAU!

She's going about things the hard way... having bogged up her A levels, she is now having to do Foundation but is hoping that her results will get her 'promoted' to BSc etc for next year, with the added pressure that Tom and Ianto keep introducing her as 'one of our MEng students of the future....'!

Good luck with your project work... I think Lambert has good ideas on the use of 'lectric as the power delivery is instant and you could then use some trickery in the controls to maintain power to all four wheels...

Keep us posted... and keep an eye out for Jess.. she's the only GIRL on the ORVD course....!!!!
Post #411255 26th Mar 2015 10:24pm
Romadog

I finished at Harper in 1995 when engineering was Engineering and off road vehicle design was done as a hobby ! Thumbs Up
Post #411267 26th Mar 2015 10:41pm
Romadog

I finished at Harper in 1995 when engineering was Engineering and off road vehicle design was done as a hobby ! Thumbs Up

Oh and yes I Censored my A levels too and did Foundation year. Pre-Ent 'n' Proud".
Post #411268 26th Mar 2015 10:45pm
TDCi Guy

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Keswick Green
LiftedDisco wrote:
Done...

Are you on BSc or BEng - our daughter is just finishing her first year at HAU!

She's going about things the hard way... having bogged up her A levels, she is now having to do Foundation but is hoping that her results will get her 'promoted' to BSc etc for next year, with the added pressure that Tom and Ianto keep introducing her as 'one of our MEng students of the future....'!

Good luck with your project work... I think Lambert has good ideas on the use of 'lectric as the power delivery is instant and you could then use some trickery in the controls to maintain power to all four wheels...

Keep us posted... and keep an eye out for Jess.. she's the only GIRL on the ORVD course....!!!!

If she sticks with Tom and Ianto she shouldn't have any issues. As I learnt, all you need to do is ask. The both of them will bend over backwards for their students. I've just completed the BSc, it was bloody hard but the majority of us got through it! Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #411271 26th Mar 2015 10:56pm
AWOL

Done - but:

Q6 - seems to be missing a grassland option (ATV used round the farm)
Q8 - is impossible to answer without knowing what the vehicle would have as standard (e.g. would you upgrade the brakes if it already has monster vented/drilled disks and 4-pots?).
Q15 - I would have gone for "performance" had it been a 3rd option.
Q17 - not sure why these are mutually exclusive in the survey?

Lastly, why two seats? Three (even if narrow) with a centre driver's seat would be an interesting addition to the market!

Two seaters get to be a pain if you have two kids...
Post #411647 28th Mar 2015 11:19am
PCA42

Thanks chaps, very much appreciated!

Good to see there are people with links with HAU on here. LiftedDisco; I'm a BSc student. Don't think I've met your daughter, even though it's a small campus the different years don't tend to mix as we're in different places at different times. Push her to join up to the Off Road Club if she isn't already, even if she doesn't have a truck there's always spare seats going round and it's great fun. There's even a Motorsport Team this year with their own rally car! And indeed, Tom and Ianto are great, Ianto is my dissertation tutor.

Romadog; I bet it's changed a lot since then! Got some new buildings and that Laughing although carparking is pretty w**k at peak times.

AWOL; thanks for the constructive comments. I've never really done anything like this before so you always get things into your head where you think people will know what you're on about, or things you've missed off. I can't really change it now, but definitely noted!
I should have added that the vehicle will be based on a modified Lotus Elise chassis, thus the two-seats are a set thing as that's all that will fit in the thing Laughing Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
Post #411676 28th Mar 2015 12:45pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Had a read through your Research questions and all look good to me. I have also filled in the questionnaire.

If this is any help this is some of the information I give my final year students. In your final report once you have collated all the relevant data remember to write it in the third person avoiding if you can, I, we, you. It is vital that your research questions are clearly focussed and accurately phrased, add some forms of secondary evidence to back up your finding and make a summary of key research findings and do not forget to include a separate appendix at the end.

I do not know what Methodology Harper Adams University uses in evaluation so you will have already consulted your Uni intranet and tutors for information about your specific dissertation requirements on your degree programme. However, if its any help I look for the good regard for any concepts and theories given and methods a student uses, and that they have understanding in the underlying concepts of their research. When you describe your methods it is essential to state how you have addressed the research. The techniques used in the dissertation should be described in enough detail for your study to be duplicated, or at least repeated in a similar way in another situation. Every stage should be described and correct with clear details for the choice of your particular methods and materials.

Also in your abstract try and make it brief but concise so it gives a summary of the whole dissertation, also if you use any accounts, views, ideas, or conclusions that are taken from another persons work these must be acknowledged, whether the work is openly quoted, paraphrased, or summarized.
I wish you luck and I am sure looking at your questionnaire you will have no problems with your final assessment. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #411710 28th Mar 2015 3:07pm
grafty99

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Done Thumbs Up 2002 90 Td5 Station Wagon
1990 Vogue SE
Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200
Td5 90 Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic50767.html
Tdi 110 Thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic69562.html
RRC Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic54492.html
Instagram http://www.instagram.com/george_grafton
Post #411783 28th Mar 2015 7:10pm