↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Motorists should thank cyclists for being on the road
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
GREENI wrote:
Open your eyes please (in both senses of the word).
Show some respect.

Well said - having a pop at minorities is so counter-productive; and in some of the arguments raised here substitute off-road driver for cyclist and see where you stand on a similar debate!

The only time I genuinely feel angry with cyclists on the road is in the summer when it seems OK that dual carriageways on major trunk routes are used for time trialling events. You have bike after bike spread out over 20 miles with lorries trying to nip in and out of the overtaking lane. Speed differentials of bike at 20mph, lorry at 50mph and cars at 70mph mean there's always a few close misses.

I'd like this banned.
Post #410484 24th Mar 2015 12:16pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
GREENI wrote:
There's a site dedicated to it...
http://fullprokitw.com/

Thanks - Fancy Friday is going in the calendar

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Supacat on 24th Mar 2015 1:43pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #410511 24th Mar 2015 1:42pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
If my posts have offended anyone then I sorry that you are upset.

My posts are my views, I highlighted one instance of what happened when a group of wheelers failed to obey a RED traffic light.

This is what happened to me personally.

A group of wheelers cost me £5000.00 plus for repairs to my caravan and £2000.00 for repairs to my Disco when they road down the inside of my Disco and caravan 3 abreast, the gap wasn't wide enough for one, they all 12 fell against the disco and caravan. There was a separate cycle path alongside the road. When I asked for names and addresses I was told to Censored Censored one threatened my wife when she was ringing the police. The tried to grab my camera when I started taking photo's. They were proud to wear the wheels group name on there tops and that was got them caught in the end, they refused to pay compensation as there solicitor stated they do not need insurance or any other cover to cover the costs in an accident and that it was my fault for driving a car towing a caravan.

My insurance company would not pay out as it was a group of cyclist's that had caused the damage not a motor vehicle.

So you may now understand why I do not like groups of Lycra clad adults who act as thugs towards anyone else who happens to get in there way. Kids and lone cyclists are OK but not the wheelers. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #410513 24th Mar 2015 1:42pm
shaggydog

United Kingdom 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi USW Arles Blue
I think your quite justified to have your own opinion. Thumbs Up

I was crossing the road on foot at a pelican crossing and heard coming from up the road "OH FFS DON'T BE A :censored:HEAD" as a cyclist shouted at me for daring to cross the road as the green man said I could. I stopped and looked at him as he screeched to a stop in front of me and he suddenly went very red realizing what he had done was completely out of order. I just smiled and said "glad I'm not a toddler" and walked away. Hopefully that made him think. Doubt it though.

As with everything though, not everyone is the same and not every group/individual cyclists is to blame. Running Restoration Thread http://www.defender2.net/forum/post323197.html#323197

Self confessed mileage hunter Very Happy
Post #410517 24th Mar 2015 2:07pm
Walmsleys

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
ARC99. Your insurers wouldn't pay for damage to your vehicle because it was caused by bikes and not a car? I suggest you change insurers then because the cover is generally of an accidental damage nature. In 40 years in the business I've never seen a policy condition like that! 2015 Urban Truck 90XS in Havana

(previously 2013 D4 XS in Fuji White)
(previously 2011 D4 XS in Stornaway Grey, auto, black leather, reversing camera and removable tow bar)
(previously 2011 Freelander 2, blue (Mrs B's)
(previously 2007 TDV6 D3 SE Zermatt Silver, auto, black leather, an Uncle Ray plate and AT2s)
(previously 2001 Freelander One, blue)
(previously 1967 Series 2, Green)
Post #410519 24th Mar 2015 2:24pm
nosnibod

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Bronze Green
ARC99: Most cycling clubs will be affiliated with either British Cycling, the CTC or one of the others like Audax UK. In nearly all cases they will insist that their individual members are also paid-up members of their chosen affiliation - primarily for insurance purposes but also for participation in events.

So what you will tend to find is that cyclists wearing club tops are typically insured - in most clubs its a condition of membership after a 'grace' period to see if someone likes the club, or indeed cycling at all.

Organised events also tend to either ask for club membership that provides third party insurance, or offers insurance cover as part of the event fee. Audax UK does that, for example.

Your is obviously a sorry tale, but there are similar tales involving all sorts of people, groups, clubs and so on. Indeed each and every one of us that insures a motor vehicle is paying an additional premium to cover losses due to uninsured drivers.

I do hope that this thread shows that we each need to be more tolerant and understanding. There are absolute idiots in all walks of life but what we must not do is to treat one group or individual in a certain manner just because of prior experience of that 'type' of person. Be cautious, for sure, but don't tar everyone with the same brush.

...and on the way home, that damned Land Rover driver wouldn't get out of the middle lane. Blooming Land Rover drivers, they're all the same Whistle Dave
Green Goddess - 1998 Defender 110 300tdi
Post #410572 24th Mar 2015 6:32pm
Mac87

England 
I can imagine it could be a totally different ball game in urban areas, but around here the vast majority are courteous, cheery and don't mind 'unclipping' to wait for tractors etc.

Only trouble is that during the summer there are often 'road races' organised on the roads surrounding the farm, which often results in me getting an expletive laden earful because trying to manoeuvre a combine down a country road has 'messed up their time'.
Post #410587 24th Mar 2015 7:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123