Home > Off Topic > Motorists should thank cyclists for being on the road
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Motorists should thank cyclists for being on the road
http://www.abc.net.au/environment/articles/2015/03/23/4199365.htm

"'All right, but apart from the pneumatic tyre, ball bearings, differential gears, roads, motoring, and aviation, what have cyclists ever done for us?'".

Interesting alternative view...
Post #410107 23rd Mar 2015 9:45am
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I have always believed adult cyclists should pay road tax, that way they would be giving us all something more and contributing like motorists have to. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #410130 23rd Mar 2015 11:59am
defender4

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
^^^
agreed

if you want to be treated like any other road using vehicle pay your way

(oh yes, and don't pass on the inside, it's illegal for vehicles)
Post #410133 23rd Mar 2015 12:13pm
Likeomg

2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
imagine trying to enforce tax on cyclists... not possible.

i'm a keen cyclist.. would never cycle in a city.
Post #410136 23rd Mar 2015 12:34pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
Oh were do I start.
I hate the wheeler groups who seem to have the idea that they own the road taking up the whole lane or road on country roads and will not let any thing pass.
Ban clip in shoes while riding on a road.. this will stop them hanging on to other vehicles because they are to lazy to put a foot down.

Make every one that intends to ride a pedal cycle on a road take a compulsory test to show that the can ride in a safe manner and show that the know what road signs are, what a RED traffic light means and who can use a footpath.

Have insurance to cover damage to 3rd party vehicles and occupants and injuries to pedestrians.

I had to deal with the aftermath after a number of "wheelers" failed to stop for a red light can coming from there right swerved to avoid them hit a concrete lamp post causing severe injury to the occupants and wrote vehicle off. The "wheelers" fled the scene and split up. Car owner/driver had only 3rd party insurance so lost his car which he used to take his disabled child to and from school each day.

The only thing they could be prosecuted for was riding through a red traffic light £20.00 fine. Defence was they could not slip the shoes out of the clips on the pedals.

The civil case cost them a lot more. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #410138 23rd Mar 2015 12:53pm
ken

United Kingdom 
defender4 wrote:
^^^
agreed

if you want to be treated like any other road using vehicle pay your way

(oh yes, and don't pass on the inside, it's illegal for vehicles)

Its called filtering and perfectly legal (My two wheels have an internal combustion engine)
Post #410139 23rd Mar 2015 12:53pm
munch90

England 
not so sure the cyclist "filtering" on inside of me a few years ago will do it again in a hurry , he ended up laying in road with a bit of bone sticking out his shoulder

I was indiacating to turn left and he admitted losing concentaion and riding up the inside of me , the road was downhill so he was moving a bit quick

had 2 incidents with cyclists and both resulted in them coming off a lot worse and both times it was there fault and really stupid actions on there part caused them
Post #410148 23rd Mar 2015 1:36pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
So many times I've pulled up by a passing place with a tractor and trailer to allow a bicycle past, same as I would do with a car, and had them try and squeeze past in a space they don't safety fit in. I've had one fall off and land on the side of the stationary trailer before disappearing underneath, I hopped out to see if he was OK and he was actually quite apologetic for screwing up.

Round me they are Censored for just hogging the full width of the road though, and not pulling in to passing spaces. I'm all in favour of them being on the road, but I'm also in favour of them not being dicks about it. If you've got a car/tractor/anything behind you, it's pretty obvious from the "brum brum" noise they make!

As for not paying "road tax" - for a start it's not a road tax and secondly there are lots of vehicles that don't. Some cars don't and most agricultural things don't.
Post #410150 23rd Mar 2015 1:48pm
munch90

England 
road tax not sure of ,

adult cyclists maybe 3rd party insurance
Post #410152 23rd Mar 2015 2:01pm
Mountain_man

Wales 
Hang on. I do pay "road tax" as you call it for my bike. Since VED in the UK has for many many years been based on emissions I pay exactly the same as a user of an electric vehicle. IE. Zero. I do however pay VED for another 2 cars to use the road, much the same as almost all other cyclists in the country. People who use the "Cyclists should pay a tax to use the roads" are amongst the most ignorant bigoted people you are ever likely to meet.

Sorry

Rant over.
Post #410156 23rd Mar 2015 2:06pm
myonehere

2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Cairns Blue
Another aspect....the main road, outside our drive, is on the crest of a short uphill from both directions....... 'green' planet-saving cyclists throw their discarded water bottles and energy-bar wrappers on the verges --- whilst, no doubt, making rude signs to motorists, who are supposed to thank them ... (?)

I do not mind Lycra cyclists in the least -I HATE rubbish droppers though

Last edited by myonehere on 23rd Mar 2015 2:21pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #410158 23rd Mar 2015 2:20pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Education for cyclists is severly lacking in respect to what their actions have on other road users. Traffic on the roads is vastly different to when the Penny Farthings outnumbered the cars. It's the little things you see like the four old grannies, fair play to them getting out and about but to stop in a bunch at the top of a hill wheezing and getting their breath back on a minor but busy road where vehicles going up the hill are totally blind to approaching traffic due to the crest of the road and the left hand bend leaving them no idea whether it's safe or not to pass. Even more frustrating was that they could just move onto the pavement right by them.
I've spent most of my life driving agricultural machinery on the roads and modern tractors are around the same speed as cyclists on a mission, one of the most scariest positions I've been in was on one of those wider two way traffic bypasses that have the solid white line on the nearside. I had a big tractor and a 40' articulated trailer this time empty and I was swamped by a group of about 20 racing cyclists as they poured out of a side turning. When you're driving a tractor on these roads you try to keep as well left as possible to give traffic a chance of overtaking plus it gives following traffic a better view up the road. These cyclists were trying to come up on the inside, they were overtaking( or trying to ) on the outside, some in front and the rest behind. Whilst yes there is good visibility out of a tractor cab there are also major blind spots notably the 6 or 7' either side of you by the back wheel just where some of these "lycras" were. All I could do was to slow right down, not at once as they'd pile into the trailer at the back, don't ask me how I know, and let them all past. Then you end up being held up as soon as there's a slight incline as they drop off speed and they still ride in a bunch where it's too dangerous to overtake.7
The biggest frustration of scenarios like this............. There's an effin cycle path right by the side of you and where are they? In the middle of the road!
Post #410159 23rd Mar 2015 2:21pm
Tiger

2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Java Black
VED is based on emissions

Roads are paid for out of general taxation (mostly Council tax at local level)

Cars that emit up to 100g/km don't pay VED

Saying cyclists should pay road tax is a bit dumb Whistle
Post #410162 23rd Mar 2015 2:28pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Quote:
Roads are paid for out of general taxation (mostly Council tax at local level)

Cars that emit up to 100g/km don't pay VED

Saying cyclists should pay road tax is a bit dumb Whistle

Major roads and motorways are maintained by the highways agency and are not funded at local council level. Local roads and streets such as those that in housing estates are funded at local level, however central government issues grants on repairs in certain circumstances such as the repairing of potholes.

Yes general taxation pays for the maintenance of existing roads and the construction of new major roads. Part of that general taxation is the road fund licence and while as we know is not specifically used for roads it does contribute to their use and repair.

I have always thought that cyclist should contribute the same as other road users or in a percentage as other two wheeled road going machines do. Parts of roads are now being utilised as cycle designated lanes, resurfaced in all manner of colours, where the general roads that these cycle lanes share are in need of serious repair. The construction of these lanes costs considerable amounts of money and where the users pay nothing towards except if they pay council tax!

My suggestion of cyclist paying either a one off tax on the purchase of a new bicycle or some form of yearly numeration that would be specifically and only used for more safety zones for cyclist and the designated lanes for their usage. This I believe would benefit all keeping cyclists from weaving in and out of traffic and the problems to motorist that may cause. I am also in favour of third party insurance as bicycles are no longer the slow machines of the past but are capable of speeds that can cause injury to pedestrians who then have no recourse to claim any type of compensation. This is just my feelings I do not expect all to agree. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1

Last edited by gilarion on 23rd Mar 2015 3:53pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #410166 23rd Mar 2015 2:58pm
Walmsleys

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Havana
Quote:
This is just my feelings I do expect all to agree.

I'm assuming this is a typo, unless you're Kim Jon-ung! 2015 Urban Truck 90XS in Havana

(previously 2013 D4 XS in Fuji White)
(previously 2011 D4 XS in Stornaway Grey, auto, black leather, reversing camera and removable tow bar)
(previously 2011 Freelander 2, blue (Mrs B's)
(previously 2007 TDV6 D3 SE Zermatt Silver, auto, black leather, an Uncle Ray plate and AT2s)
(previously 2001 Freelander One, blue)
(previously 1967 Series 2, Green)
Post #410176 23rd Mar 2015 3:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>