↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > My new Flatdog Rax 110 roof rack.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
SailingTom

United Kingdom 
Other question is can extra legs be added say if you wanted a mount for every 3 slats?
Cheers Defender puma dormobile camper
Post #385166 5th Jan 2015 5:28pm
paulnb57

The short ladder looks a bit of a pain to get onto, they usually go down to the X Member, is it an issue?
Post #385394 6th Jan 2015 9:48am
lonewolf

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zambezi Silver
Re ladders: I fitted a front runner rack to my 90, loaded it up at home via step ladders, set off then realised it was going to be difficult to bring the items down from the rack. It was too. Before the next trip I bought a set of extendable ladders (about £50) which fold down into their own bag which fit behind the seat when not in use. They give quick access to sides and back of vehicle in a jiffy. Just make sure you tie them off at the top to the rack before use. Works for me Very Happy
Post #385456 6th Jan 2015 2:01pm
paulnb57

That doesn't sound a bad idea, I have found the Brownchurch style ladders a bit narrow, the one in the photo looks a bit short for my advancing years!
Post #385461 6th Jan 2015 2:31pm
Iain

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
There is a lower step for that ladder that is bolted to the x member. Nothing inbetween so reg plate is clear. Look closely in the pic or on the FD website.

I'll be getting one of these racks and ladders for mine.
Post #385462 6th Jan 2015 2:38pm
eutek

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Hi all,

Sorry for slightly hijacking the thread... I'm planning on ordering a Rax shortly, can the rear Rax rail that they sell be installed on the front as well? Realise it is named ''rear'' for a reason, however just curious.

I plan on putting a roof tent up there with some other stuff, would rather have the roof tent at the back of the rack, but the rear rail would get in the way - hence the idea of putting it up front (and offer some additional support should I happen to brake hard and anything moves).
Post #385512 6th Jan 2015 6:29pm
Mirrordad

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
Hi All

I am looking to get a rack for my 110 and thinking of a Flat Dog Rax plus ladder. Any thoughts from those of you that have had one for a while? What is the powder coating like after it has been on the roof for a year or so?

Cheers
Mirrordad
Post #402167 25th Feb 2015 9:17pm
taazzukcb

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I see Jim_Beans rack a lot (oooer) and it's as smart now as it was the day it went on. Very good quality IMO!

Only thing that was done was the nuts and bolts were changed for SS kit (by FD). Originally sent out without them, but they're now sent with SS everything I believe.

The rear bar can also I believe be fitted to the front quite happily if you wish! One of the FD lads run it on the front to IIRC (with a modified deflector).
Post #402249 25th Feb 2015 11:14pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
I have been considering purchasing a roof rax from FD the only thing that was stopping the purchase was the ladder as I know that I will never be able to get my foot on the first rung above the VRM plate even with the step attacked to the rear cross member. I rang FD last week to ask if the planned a full length one but the don't, I did say I was looking at a telescopic ladder which could give access to the rax all round the vehicle. I cannot remember if the person I was talking to said the company or one the employees used that method and kept it behind the seat. So I will be using that method.

I don't know if anyone else has read in the papers but a roof rack is classed as a modification to your vehicle by some insurance companies. It may be worth checking with yours as we know some will try and wriggle out of a claim if they can. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #402365 26th Feb 2015 12:52pm
taazzukcb

When you say full length ladder, do you mean a ladder that drops below the cross member?

The first 'single' step is like you say on the cross member.

One solution if you want a half way step is to get the standard folding step to use and a first step, then the normal FD single, then up to the normal ladder.

IIRC there was legislation that stopped the production of ladder that went around the plate. Not 100% on that though as I've seen they're still made, but I thought that was the reason why FD did it how they did!
Post #402366 26th Feb 2015 1:03pm
ARC99

There are access ladders that attach to the cross member and either the rack itself of the rain gutter, if I was to purchase a FD one and carry a step I might as well save the cost of the FD ladder and buy a telescopic ladder that will give me all round , except the front, access.

The legislation you are thing of says that the rear number plate has to be clearly visible and not obstructed, that is why short access ladder are produced with the step on the cross member or they are shaped to go round the number plate. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #402378 26th Feb 2015 1:19pm
taazzukcb

Yeah, that sounds right, but I think even the wrap around one's were included recently as they can obscure from different angles ... predominantly the angles at which the cash machines sit at the side of the road!

As to the Telescopic, seems like the best idea to me either way anyway! Least no one 'else' can get up there easily (I know it's not exactly difficult, but some people might not be interested with no ladder if you catch me drift) if you have no ladder access. And as you say, you can use it for side access to.
Post #402380 26th Feb 2015 1:26pm
ARC99

Yes best option as age prevents me from climbing onto the rack. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #402381 26th Feb 2015 1:36pm
ARC99

Well I have taken the plunge and purchased a Rax.

I contacted the NFU about the insurance...................They do not class it as a modification but are aware others do, they just need to be informed to update there records in case the vehicle is stolen of written off. Don't make old people mad.

Richard
Post #402691 27th Feb 2015 12:06pm
Jim_Bean

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Good stuff Thumbs Up

I've had mine for 18 months or so now. Its had everything on it from tents & camping gear to furniture, wheels & tyres, pallets all sorts of other crap.

It still looks great, the powder coating has lasted well and its reasonably quiet on the road.

Just make sure that Flatdog supply you with stainless fixings as my first set were mild steel. I pointed this out and they sent out a new set of stainless.

You can also decide to put the rail on the front or the rear.

Today...

Click image to enlarge

12 months ago..

Click image to enlarge

New...

Click image to enlarge

Brand new...

Click image to enlarge
Post #402697 27th Feb 2015 12:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>