↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > EGR options
Have you had your EGR replaced or mapped out and what was the outcome.
Yes I have had a new EGR and had no more problems.
11%
 11%  [2]
I have had a new EGR and it has failed again.
11%
 11%  [2]
I have had it blanked off or mapped out and had no issues.
72%
 72%  [13]
I have had it blanked off or mapped out and there have been problems.
5%
 5%  [1]
Total Votes: 18

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jonno

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
EGR options
Hi all,

I realise EGRs seem to have been covered in the past, however I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to deal with my "ill" one.

1st question is, has anyone had theirs replaced with a revised part and was that a while ago and is it still happy?

The second question is for those who have had theirs mapped out, is everything still working as it should a year or so later?

I must admit I'm slightly aprehensive about potentially increasing cylinder temperatures under high load / boost conditions by removing the exhaust gases from the intake. I have heard a few stories of Pumas warping their exhaust manifolds in stock tune, so potentially increasing EGT temperatures might be a small risk factor.

However blanking off the EGR or mapping out is going to save the engine from lots of gritty abrasive carbon.

Decisions decisions.... Confused

Jonno
Post #401928 25th Feb 2015 9:34am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Mine's been 'mapped out' as you put it for the last five years and 120,000 miles.

One of the best upgrades I have made, absolutely no downside whatsoever. Thumbs Up
Post #401934 25th Feb 2015 10:08am
Snowy90

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
Hey Jonno,

What were your symptoms leading you to want to ditch the EGR system?

I bought a blanking plate with a small hole in it that supposed to get around the engine management fault light?? from that web based auction site but haven't got round to fitting it no idea if it works.

Thanks

Chris
Post #401938 25th Feb 2015 10:17am
TDCi Guy

United Kingdom 1996 Defender 110 300 Tdi HCPU Auto Keswick Green
I've blanked mine with a plate (no hole) as I was getting kangarooing at low speed, for example in motorway traffic.
I haven't had one instance since blanking the EGR. It has put my MIL light on but I can cope with that until I get a remap. Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #401940 25th Feb 2015 10:26am
Jonno

Snowy90 wrote:
Hey Jonno,

What were your symptoms leading you to want to ditch the EGR system?

I bought a blanking plate with a small hole in it that supposed to get around the engine management fault light?? from that web based auction site but haven't got round to fitting it no idea if it works.

Thanks

Chris

Mine has been getting progressively noiser over the last year, 12 months ago it just sounded bad after starting and stopping the car after a short run with the engine still cold. This has progressed to always sounding bad. It now makes a very loud clacking noise, as though the mechanism isn't seating properly.

Overall I'd say it's goosed Crying or Very sad

Jonno
Post #401943 25th Feb 2015 10:32am
x-isle

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Here we go again........

Cue up the heated debate Rolling with laughter

I changed mine about 2 years ago and lately I've been getting a flat spot at 2000rpm which is usually a pointer that the EGR is getting sooted up.

However, I'd not driven the truck for about 3 months, and the flat spot has now gone away. I think it might have just needed a clear out.

It if plays up again, then I'll remove and clean it. I'm not looking to remove/disable it permanently.

I can't vote, as there isn't an answer relevant. Mine has not failed yet, but could do with a clean out. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
2011 Evoque Coupe Dynamic Lux
www.craigrogers.photography
Post #401945 25th Feb 2015 10:42am
custom90

United Kingdom 
The EGR is a common cause of poor running and performance.
Cannot be good at all for the engine or components.
Post #401952 25th Feb 2015 11:07am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
blackwolf wrote:
Mine's been 'mapped out' as you put it for the last five years and 120,000 miles.

One of the best upgrades I have made, absolutely no downside whatsoever. Thumbs Up

I have to say I had to Google EGR.

So, Just a quick question. I have noticed Kangarooing in traffic as well, plus clacking noises etc. I thought it was my clutch (which I am sure is on the way out at 90k Kms). But should I be considering doing the EGR as well? Is this an automatic choice and does this relate to a 2.2 as well? Any help, very much appreciated. Thumbs Up FYI, I am replacing the clutch etc in Spring.... Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #401955 25th Feb 2015 11:20am
Jonno

TDCi Guy wrote:
I've blanked mine with a plate (no hole) as I was getting kangarooing at low speed, for example in motorway traffic.
I haven't had one instance since blanking the EGR. It has put my MIL light on but I can cope with that until I get a remap.

Mine must be not quite that far gone as I don't have any kangarooing as such, it does maybe sometimes hesitate / have a flat spot around 2000 rpm though. The main sympton is the Chucka chucka chucka self clean noise sounds more like a strangled goose when the engine is cold and has started "clacking" as though the valve is obstructed.

It would be interesting to see when the EGR is supposed to operate, it might help people pin down certain running problems. I dare say there are no pre set definate situations though.

It is probably derived from rpm, temperature, throttle position, boost etc and varies.

Jonno
Post #401959 25th Feb 2015 11:34am
TDCi Guy

I hadn't had any other issues than the kangarooing. The 'chukka' noise was/is the same as any other puma I've seen so I'm not sure if mine is on the way out or if that is normal behaviour at low revs, I've certainly seen people in other threads with the same symptoms.
IIRC the egr is only open at low revs not sure at what RPM it is supposed to be closed though. Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #401970 25th Feb 2015 12:45pm
TDCi Guy

Grenadier wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

So, Just a quick question. I have noticed Kangarooing in traffic as well, plus clacking noises etc. I thought it was my clutch (which I am sure is on the way out at 90k Kms). But should I be considering doing the EGR as well? Is this an automatic choice and does this relate to a 2.2 as well? Any help, very much appreciated. Thumbs Up FYI, I am replacing the clutch etc in Spring....

Grenadier,
I'd definitely recommend getting an EGR blanking plate from ebay. It's only 3 and will confirm your suspicions about the kangarooing as it did with me. If you can live with the MIL light being on and the clacking noise then you don't have to go any further than that. If they get annoying then get it 'mapped out'.
Removal and cleaning of the EGR might reduce the clacking, I think it is also possible to get the cleaning sequence 'mapped out' but I read that it wasn't recommended by the tuners. Tom
@tditomprice
100” Defender Hybrid
2010 Alaska White 90 HT
Post #401974 25th Feb 2015 12:56pm
x-isle

[quote="Jonno"]
TDCi Guy wrote:

It would be interesting to see when the EGR is supposed to operate, it might help people pin down certain running problems. I dare say there are no pre set definate situations though.

As far as I know, the EGR is closed at idle and open unless there is full throttle where it closes again. It may also have variable opening, but not sure, a tuner might be able to explain further.

Basically, the idea of the EGR is to try and get the burn to be cooler by feeding Co2 fumes back into the chambers which cool them down resulting in the burn having less NOx (Nitrogen Oxide and Dioxide) which is the gas that causes Smog.

The reason that the flat spot at 2,000rpm is happening and only notice it on acceleration is a hesitation of the valve closing which is adjusting the mixture and giving the flatspot.

Whilst the EGR is not the greatest design, it's use in principle is great as it helps cut down smog. The Defender already chucks out a high amount of Co2 so I'm happy to run the EGR to keep the NOx down.

It's just part of my (self) service schedule to remove, clean and re-install. How often? It seems (for me) about every 2 years.

I get that for some who do a lot of mileage (probably a lot of motorway milegage) that it's going to get clogged up much sooner than me who only does around 4,000 miles a year. I also get that for some people, they don't have the tools/ability to service it themselves. So I get that some want to remove/disable it, but it does mean throwing out a lot more NOx.

I don't know the legality of removing/disabling it. Some say it's illegal, others say not, it's not really clear. It's not part of an MOT, but that doesn't mean it's not a legal requirement to have it. I'm pretty certain it's a legal requirement to get it's Euro Emissions classification, so suspect that removal/disabling is probably illegal. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
Post #401978 25th Feb 2015 1:14pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
TDCi Guy wrote:
Grenadier wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

So, Just a quick question. I have noticed Kangarooing in traffic as well, plus clacking noises etc. I thought it was my clutch (which I am sure is on the way out at 90k Kms). But should I be considering doing the EGR as well? Is this an automatic choice and does this relate to a 2.2 as well? Any help, very much appreciated. Thumbs Up FYI, I am replacing the clutch etc in Spring....

Grenadier,
I'd definitely recommend getting an EGR blanking plate from ebay. It's only 3 and will confirm your suspicions about the kangarooing as it did with me. If you can live with the MIL light being on and the clacking noise then you don't have to go any further than that. If they get annoying then get it 'mapped out'.
Removal and cleaning of the EGR might reduce the clacking, I think it is also possible to get the cleaning sequence 'mapped out' but I read that it wasn't recommended by the tuners.

Thanks Tom, I'll buy one and get it fitted. No issue with the light, the drive is more important. Looking to get a Re-Map later this year as well, so all in all, clutch/egr/map, I hope it will make for a much better drive. I am considering, at the same time as the clutch, to get a RedBooster servo fitted as well. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #402008 25th Feb 2015 2:44pm
x-isle

Hmmm, with the Engine light on and the ECU knowing that it's fueling system is not correct, could it switch to a "default" that would make the fueling less (or even more) than efficient?

I only say this as back in my Mini racing days (1.3 SPi ECU which had to be a standard map), we used to disconnect the water temp sensor which forced the ECU to slightly overfuel as a default to compensate for the fact that it didn't know what temperature the engine was. Craig Rogers

2007 Puma 110 XS
Post #402011 25th Feb 2015 2:49pm
Marius

South Africa 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
I mapped it out. Should have done that map years ago
Post #402281 26th Feb 2015 5:42am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1